The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Should i be squatting yet?

Ok, so im failry knew to working out (less than 8 months) and im very new to squats and deadlifts (less than 2 months). The more i try and research weight lifting the more information i find talking about how beneficial squats are... however, also how dangerous they can be if you are doing them incorrectly.

My form on the squat is not good at all so for the last 2 months ive been using very low weight and just trying to improve my form. My biggest problem is i lean very far forward when squatting and bend too much at the hips. So im on my toes and leaning forward. Ive watched the Sensei Rx Squat video that talks about flexibility and i was wondering if someone could let me know which muscles are primarily the problem to leaning forward? Hams? Which stretches would be best?

So basically my question is, should i still attempt squatting without perfect form? If not, how can i get better at them?

Thanks guys

- Ryan
    Began Bulking May/08 @ 183lbs @15.3%BF
    Current weight July 16/08 @188lbs @13.8%BF

No Major Lifting accomplishments to date...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

So basically my question is, should i still attempt squatting without perfect form? If not, how can i get better at them?

Squat Squat Squat with low weight til you perfect your form, how are you supposed to get better without doing them?
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 140lbs June 2012
    DL:
    Squat:
    Bench:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...54#post2084154

Yes, you should still squat with imperfect form, but only to try to improve your form. Use only the bar until you can bang out 20 perfect squats and progress slowly from there. Whenever your form slips, lower the weight.

Try really sticking your ass out when you go down into your squat; you really need to sit back into it.

In terms of flexibility, if flexibility is your problem, it is probably in the hamstrings. The best stretch I've found to improve hamstring flexibility (although I do many stretches) is to put your feet as you would if you were squatting. Place your fingers under your toes and then try to arch your back. You'll have to drop your hips considerably, especially if you have poor hamstring flexibility and you may not be able to achieve an arched back right away, but the stretch will still be effective.

How else would you improve your squat form except to squat?

Squat Rx Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...3D688F10C4DE1F
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    yes, do squats. It's a technique thing, so I would suggest doing them light at the beginning of every workout until you can do it right. Also, if you're leaning forward, try lifting your big toe up in your shoe. That will stop you from leaning forward very quickly.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Yes, you should still squat with imperfect form, but only to try to improve your form. Use only the bar until you can bang out 20 perfect squats and progress slowly from there. Whenever your form slips, lower the weight.

Try really sticking your ass out when you go down into your squat; you really need to sit back into it.

In terms of flexibility, if flexibility is your problem, it is probably in the hamstrings. The best stretch I've found to improve hamstring flexibility (although I do many stretches) is to put your feet as you would if you were squatting. Place your fingers under your toes and then try to arch your back. You'll have to drop your hips considerably, especially if you have poor hamstring flexibility and you may not be able to achieve an arched back right away, but the stretch will still be effective.
    Thank you for the excellent answer. I feel like i am making progress doing similar to what you have stated so i will continue. And ill definately try the stretch you recommended as well. How often should i stretch? Any problems stretching daily?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    How else would you improve your squat form except to squat?
    [/url]
    I am more concerned with injury, so i was curious that if it was a flexibility issue would my time be better and safer spent working on flexibilty first? or maybe adding in other exercises such as good mornings etc.

you're better off going ahead and working on squat form than wondering if you need to be more flexible. if you need to be more flexible, the only way you would know is to squat

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

I try to stretch every night before bed, although I agree with RST that it's probably more a technique issue. Just keep working on flexibility and your squat form and you'll get it soon.

Wannabebig Member

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=276

Thanks for the replies guys but i have a few more questions...

1) I have been trying ATG squats, am i outside my expereince level... should i concentrate on form and going just to parallel? Then, once i perfect parallel move to ATG??

2) In this wannabebig article [See Title of Post] it doesnt talk in depth about how far out your feet can be pointed. What is acceptable? Or is it simply a confort thing?

And lastly,

3) In the same article it states that...

As you’re sitting back, you also want to push your knees out to the sides hard.
    this is in #6 Sit Back and Down.

Can someone elaborate on this a little more for me?

Thanks again for all the help guys

- Ryan

P.S. I had to put the article link in the title because members with less than 10 posts cant put a link in their post.

1) Squat as low as you can with good form. If you keep squatting and working on your flexibility, that point will get lower and lower.

2) Do what feels most comfortable, as long as you're not going to extremes in one direction or the other. Also be sure that your knees track over your toes.

3) People will have a tendency to buckle their knees inwards when they first start squatting, which is detrimental to the knees and limits the weight you can push. Forcing the knees out is just a cue to make sure that your knees aren't buckling. It will feel quite unnatural at first, but you should get the hang of it after a few squat sessions.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    1) Squat as low as you can with good form. If you keep squatting and working on your flexibility, that point will get lower and lower.

2) Do what feels most comfortable, as long as you're not going to extremes in one direction or the other. Also be sure that your knees track over your toes.

3) People will have a tendency to buckle their knees inwards when they first start squatting, which is detrimental to the knees and limits the weight you can push. Forcing the knees out is just a cue to make sure that your knees aren't buckling. It will feel quite unnatural at first, but you should get the hang of it after a few squat sessions.
    Wow, Jorge Sanchez thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. Ill keep workin on my form for a while and maybe ill post a video in a few weeks to really get a good critique.

Thanks again

You might want to try squatting with a box for awhile. If you don't have an actual box, you could use a bench at the gym you go to. If you're tall it will probably put you around parallel (I'm 6'4 and it puts me at parallel). If you're shorter you may be high, but box squatting is a great way to get used to squatting with proper form. Perhaps alternate between box squatting and free squatting. Plus, if you feel like you are going to fall backwards you will have the box (or bench) to catch you. Your free squat form will probably be a little different than your box squat form in the end, but box squats will help to improve your free squat form. By fee squat I mean just a regular plain ol' squat. The trick is to sit back and break at the hips first, not the knees. Sitting back means to push your hips far back on the way down. The box will really help you to sit back because again if you feel unbalanced you will have peace of mind in knowing that the box is there. You want your weight on your heels. Also, Jorge is right about pushing your knees out. Once you get used to it, it will feel pretty uncomfortable if your knees do begin to push in.

As for leaning forward, you are probably doing it because you are off balance. It's probably a technique issue, like others have said. Also, work your low back. Variations of deadlifts, good mornings are all good exercises. And when you first start box squatting you will probably plop down onto the box once you get close to it. You want to try to control that, so work your glutes and hams hard. I hope I have helped you, man. Good luck!

Yes, squat; but do more stretching. I've been having flexibility issues and got some stretching responses. I've taken a wider stance, which hits the hammies more and then 3-4 times a week, at home, I do hammie stretches of different sorts - toe touching, lying on the floor with a rope over one foot and pull it into the air, etc.
    You might consider putting a 10# plate under each heel. This will cause you to lean back a bit more for balance. Once you get used to having better form, remove the plates and see how you do. I've done that with good results, as well.

Butt out, descend, back arched to stick your belly out. Coming up - butt out, try to drive your heels through the floor. Some times looking up can help you not lean forward, as much, too.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    jbrin0tk - Great idea. Ill definately look into Box squats and try to encorporate them into my workout.

rbtrout - I like the rope stretch you described in your post. ive got a lot of different things to try but ive heard from a few people about using a plate under my heels. I am going to try this at the gym this week and ill let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks again guys