Thread: If I buy a barbell..

If I buy a barbell..

Why can`t I just workout at home for good?

I recently purchased a dumbbell set, maxed at 50 for each dumbbell. I have been doing a sweet workout, that leaves me sore, seeing gains, and helping acheive whatever goals I have right now. After I max out the dumbbells in a few months, I plan on purchasing a barbell and starting Rippetoes.

At home I have an excercise machine, dumbbell set, treadmill and eliptical. If I add a barbell with a wide range of weights, I think I`ll be pretty set?

When I say I`m doing a dumbbell only routine at home, the members here immediatly comment back with get a gym membership -- even after I explain my situation. Whats so special about the gym, that I can`t do at home with the equipment I have, or could have (barbell)?

For Rippetoes the only things I see special that I need are a barbell and possibly a chin up bar (not hard to aquire).

Can someone clarify for me?

You have a bench and squat rack/cage of some sort?

Wannabebig Member
    Dude there is nothing wrong with having your own gym, it is sometimes difficut to get all the routine and i fine it difficult to get motivated.

Agree with kastro i am guessing you wont have a squat rack and you wont push yourself as much knowig no one is there to help you.

I have a gym membership, a home gym and every now and again i go to a gym that costs £2 to get in but has a lot of olympic weights so i get the best of everything!

Good luck with your training, as long as you are reaching goals that is all that matters.

Oh, i would suggest you buy a bench thogh! (some of them have bench press and squat attachments - i dont know how good the sqaut attatchments are though as i have never used them.

Wannabebig Member
    I just got my Dumbells up to 100 lbs and bench with incline/decline, preacher (as well as a ****ty leg extension which has been stored away). I just need a barbell & a power rack for squats & chest press, then I should be all set to quit my crappy gym (its a big franchise in the UK - also does flights).

I might also get a punch bag & rowing machine - cheap off a mate & I can always do running in the park.

$70 on craigslist with 540lbs of iron. I used the crappy lat-pull tower bar as a chinup bar. I've been working out at home for over 2 years now.
    The stairmaster is for the lady. $165 at auction when a local gym went under.

Last edited by manowar669; 07-16-2008 at 05:03 AM.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

I hate gong to the gym, so I ended up scouring craigslist as well. I got a machine for 80 bucks that I can do about everything on, and I bought an olympic bench that can be set up for dips and squats. it came with all the weight I need at the moment and I think I have about 230$ out of pocket so far. I wouldnt do it any other way

I love home gyms. I train in mine three days a week and do my competition bench at Southside Gym in CT on Friday's because I need the assistance of my training partners and I enjoy the atmosphere. However, I found going to the gym four times a week a total drag.

I just kept adding equipment and now I have everything I need. Well, except for a safety squat bar and I am hopefully getting that next week for my birthday.

Here's a vid of me in my home gym doing some speed bench.

Video
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 07-16-2008 at 09:07 AM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Banned
    Home gyms rock. The next thing to get after the bar is a power rack and then you are essentially set!

Wow thanks guys!

Yeah I have a punching bag already, so yeah I'm gonna add the bar and obviously a bench. When the time comes I will also purchase a power rack because I just google'd them and they look expensive!!!

So my current equipment:
    Treadmill
    Eliptical
    Weight Machine
    Dumbbell Set up to 50lb + Bench
    Punching bag

Will be adding:
    Bar with bench
    One day.. Power rack

Quote Originally Posted by ArjunDhir View Post
    Wow thanks guys!

Yeah I have a punching bag already, so yeah I'm gonna add the bar and obviously a bench. When the time comes I will also purchase a power rack because I just google'd them and they look expensive!!!
    Keep watching craigslist for the rack locally, or use steel sawhorses like I did (since I had them) for your safety pins. Best price for a rack that I found online was $274 delivered, but I don't really need one now, although I'll probably get one eventually.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

I go to the gym to a) get out of the house, and most importantly b) interact with other people. What I mean by this is not socializing and goofing off, there are a lot of amateur bodybuilders and PL's at my gym. I learn a lot when I talk to them I'm constantly learning about proper form, diet, upcoming events, etc. It's also good for making connections and new friends, you never know what's just down the road.

Wannabebig Member
    Get a homegym, it is cheaper and easier. You don't need all those silly machines.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    IMO a great home gym set up beats commercial gyms hands down. Not all of us have local gyms that really cater to lifters. The one near me has endless cardio machines and some very good Hammer Strength machines but no power rack. There are half squat racks and smith machines to be sure, but we're talking about only a couple of them stuffed in the back.

I have a power rack, bench, Olympic bar with enough weight, sufficient dumbbells for now, plus other stuff. That's plenty for me right now.

I don't have to wait on anyone to workout. I don't have to drive to and from the gym. I don't have to deal with idiotic PT's. I can workout in silence or whatever music I chose. I can dead lift, use chalk, yell and cuss. And I don't have the distraction of men staring at me while I lift. (Not because they're in awe, but because we have a high homosexual population here.) I prefer to workout on my terms in my space.

I firmly believe that a person can get plenty huge with only a barbell, plates, bench, and some form of safety rack that will allow you to squat and bench without spotters. (There will be at least sometimes when none are available.)

Hell, look how big Arnold got in that Conan movie just by turning that big crank every day.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Plus you get to play whatever music you want as loud as you want!

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    that is the biggest plus! lol

Work in Progress
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Yeah. Limelight by Rush. Good choice.
    6'1" 250 lbs

310 Bench
    385 Squat
    460 Deadlift

1155 Total (raw)

And none of the gym pet hates we hear so much about - teen boys looking for beach muscle, screamers, heavy sweaters, barbie girls doing bicep curls with their handbags etc etc.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbbell View Post
    Hell, look how big Arnold got in that Conan movie just by turning that big crank every day.

I never even thoght of that, i think i may get my missus in a car and push it up and down the road all day with her putting the brakes on and off!! If it makes conan look like that here we come!!!

Seriously through, i live in the UK, we dont have an awful lot of space and not an awful lot of people here do - Nothing like the basement above, that looks awesome, i know of 2 people who have built their own gyms but they live on farmsand have a load of money.

For example, i was looking at buying a set of dumbells, 1 dumbell was going to cost me £50 second hand ($100) and to even think of the oylimpic bar and a set of weights is going to push you in to the £400 + mark so it is not easy to get hold of the stuff.

I have weight up to 100kg ( 220 pounds) and some pull up bars and dumbells but that is about it. I am fairly lucky through as a gym round the corner costs £2 entry and has everythign i would ever want!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dumbbell View Post
    I firmly believe that a person can get plenty huge with only a barbell, plates, bench, and some form of safety rack that will allow you to squat and bench without spotters.
    word