Thread: Deadlifting grip with straps

Deadlifting grip with straps

I have been having trouble with straps for a while now, because I have been using the mixed grip. I kept noticing that the straps were never as tight in my under-hand. Today I switched to double overhand with straps and I noticed that the straps were much tighter and I didn't have any problems pulling a new rack pull PR for reps.

Any thoughts on this? When you are using deadlifting with straps, is double overhand just better than the normal mixed grip? It sure as hell seems that way.
    Last edited by OGROK; 07-16-2008 at 01:54 AM.

I don't see how mixed grip benefits someone in any way when using straps.

Quote Originally Posted by markdk86 View Post
    I don't see how mixed grip benefits someone in any way when using straps.
    Agreed. If you are using straps double overhand is probably your best bet. If you want to mix your grip use some chalk.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Banned
    see the user title.

Banned
    Just takes practice. You can also have someone help you with the under hand.

As for if it benefits someone to use mixed grip with straps, it's all personal preference. Some will get pulled out of position using double overhand.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    see the user title.
    I used to be like you, until I realized that my grip was ALWAYS going to be the limiting factor on that lift no matter what and that I could get a much better upper/lower back workout using heavier weights with straps and a belt.
    Last edited by OGROK; 07-16-2008 at 07:50 AM.

If you're grip is a limiting factor even if w/ mixed grip, then you need to train your forearms harder. Another advice, try hook grip with either double overhand or mixed grip. It is uncomfortable at first but you get used to it within a day.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    I used to be like you, until I realized that my grip was ALWAYS going to be the limiting factor on that lift no matter what and that I could get a much better upper/lower back workout using heavier weights with straps and a belt.
    chalk and grip that bar hard, be a man.
    it is pointless to keep working your lower back if you dont have the strength to hold on to the bar.
    i dont do any direct form arm that much, on my lighter sets i just play around with my weaker grips like double underhand, weak mixed, then go to strong mixed on my heavy sets.

it is pointless to keep working your lower back if you dont have the strength to hold on to the bar.
    Straps let me use much more weight, and more weight means a bigger, stronger back. If I used no straps my forearms would give out before my back tires, giving me an inferior workout.

Straps let me use much more weight, and more weight means a bigger, stronger back. If I used no straps my forearms would give out before my back tires, giving me an inferior workout.

Amen to that. I used to do all pulls without straps (505 dead, not bad for an old man), but I got calluses so bad that my wife didn't like it. I started using straps and the calluses got less.

"Straps are for pansies". I work at a huge nursery, so I'm OK with pansies, petunias, roses, trees, shrubs.......
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

If I try to deadlift without straps I'll tear my bicep off. I did it once and had it repaired. I almost tore the other one off trying to get ready for a strongman comp. Fortunately I only tore into the muscle and not the tendon. I am the strap king now.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

While I agree with you, you can talk to your blue in the face and you won't convince smoking hawk any differently. Heck, he thinks Ronnie Coleman is a pansy for using straps.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Unless you're a bodybuilder, then we deadlift to get better at deadlifting. Straps are okay for heavy shrugs or heavy rack pulls that you you couldn't otherwise hold onto. Hell, even the occasional working set of deadlifts can be justified. But to completely remove grip strength as a criterion for successful completion of a deadlift is folly. Eventually you have to pull it without the straps. You just have to.

Just get under the bar!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    If you are competing and the rules allow straps (such as in certain strongman events) then use them.

If the rules don't, then don't. Get used to training without.

If you are not competing then use them or not as you wish...it doesn't matter...IMNSHO one is better off reserving them for max lifts/heavy doubles/triples.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 07-16-2008 at 07:46 PM.

I do plenty of grip work, but my grip is always the limiting factor in deadlifting. Considering, I have no plans to compete I'm fine with using straps for deadlifts, until my grip catches up if it ever does. Until then I use these www.versagripps.com good stuff
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

"He's used to doing the jerk first, then the clean." -Xian

"Eat more? I am already consuming more than 2500 cals a day." -Danpiel

I got back into heavy lifting recently and my max deadlift was 450 without straps for a single. Now I can't pull more than 315 without my grip giving, and I refuse to use straps still. If my hands cant hold it, what use is higher weight in real life?

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    chalk and grip that bar hard, be a man.
    i dont do any direct form arm that much, on my lighter sets i just play around with my weaker grips like double underhand, weak mixed, then go to strong mixed on my heavy sets.

I used to be the same as you. Telling everyone that straps were for sissies. I train in a commercial gym for half of my workouts or so and they don't allow chalk and have crappy bars. I have deadlifted over 3xBW many times in training and competition with just chalk, but in this gym I need to use straps if I want to pull heavy, shrug heavy or row heavy. So I do.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL