Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Obsession with cuts amongst younger lifters.

lol..

so the bench, squat and deadlift are attributed to powerlifting.

Well..thank you powerlifters for inventing those 3 lifts.

C'mon, really?

I tried powerlifting and ****ed up my left rotator cuff, right pec, right wrist and both knees. I'm 6' and was once at 280lbs. I've benched over 450, squatted damn near 600 and deadlifted over 600.. all raw. Not great numbers given my weight, but its still an accomplishment. Point is, it HURTS to move weight that heavy. Pure and simple. Now you critisize people for not wanting to powerlift. I'll take my bodybuilding pains anyday over not being able to walk for 3 days because my knees got too taxed on my squat workout.. or not being able to move my arm because the bench just jacked my pec up again.

Now, tell me, when my goal is to see my abs, now I'm a girl? That's what you've got above..

I still have a 380 bench 450 squat and 550 deadlift, I just choose to hit those numbers sparingly, instead of every week. I know, from experience, that my body responds THE BEST to the 6-8 rep range.. not the 1-3 rep range. Sure, I get stronger with the 1-3, but I GROW more in the 6-8 rep range. I'm not making that up, I can't understand how someone of your lifting experience and intelligence can say that a lifting a certain way doesn't matter when it clearly does.

You say you must force a muscle to grow by overload. Fatigue IS overload!! I can bench 315, but I can also move 225 slow enough that it feels like 315 and get the same results.

As a seasoned vet, I would have expected you to know that strength does not equal size and vice versa..
    Last edited by JSully; 07-17-2008 at 09:24 AM.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    i remember when this chikc i was dating insulated me my junior or senior year, she called me skinny, should have back handed her as i thought i was built back then.
    A girl insulated you in your junior or senior year?? That sounds quite pleasurable. Seriously though insulated isn't even a typo of insulted, unless you have eight fingers on each hand.

To those that do take issue with people who don't want to get big, don't you have friends, brothers, maybe even children who have absolutely no interest in this whole scene? Do you honestly despise them for being weak and skinny?

I don't want to get into a philosophical debate about virtuousness, but needless to say I have been repeatedly disappointed by how shallow and un virtuous a lot of big strong guys are. Sorry but I think some people (and I'm not necessarily directing this towards anyone in this thread) have a very misguided sense of manliness. Sure strength and size are admirable qualities, but only when coupled with a personality that has a sense of modesty and common empathy.

Alan Turing, a pioneering computer scientist who helped break Nazi codes during WW2 was gay skinny and liked jogging. Despite playing a huge individual role in defeting the Nazis, he was prosecuted for being gay and eventually killed himself. He was a real man. Off topic I know, but the general undercurrent of a lot of these threads is that being big, strong and stoic are the only virtues really worth a damn in a man, which isn't in the least bit true.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Mike, you would think if you are 35 years old you would have a little more respect for anyone that pursues any goal. This thread is pathetic, and your reasoning is porrly explained and childish.
    Respect is earned.How bout respect your elders?As far as my reasoning,trust me,theres a hell of alot of successful BB's and PL's that share the view.As for the rest of the cocky kids that disrespect those who have forgotten more than you know...

I officially rename this forum Wanna Stay Small.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    The debate is this.If your going to a gym and busting your ass,and blowin off your friends and girlfriends,etc to do it,then it better be for a reason other than the way you look.If thats the case,you have severe insecurities and mental problems.If your measuring your bodyparts or staring in a mirror all the time,your basically a little girl.Chicks stare in the mirror and worry about their waistline and how they look in a tight shirt.Not men.Not real men.The process of building muscle and the goal of adding new muscle is gauged by strength and size.Thats progress.Not if you can see another ab.Or if the skinny blonde girl wants to **** you.I cant believe Brad ****ing Pitt was even mentioned on this form.Who watches a Brad Pitt movie and says"he looks good".I'll tell you who...a chick!If you look in a mirror and say to yourself"Im fat,I cant see my ab's" or " I cant see my veins when I get a pump",you need to go out and buy a dress right now.Pathetic.

Come on, you have to admit Brad Pitt..... **** I'd it it.

Funny how you make so many accusations of this forum when you have been here 1-2 months, while many of the people replying to this thread have been here for years. Does the forum have kids coming in looking for advice for their routines from FLEX or MUSCLE MAG? Yes, but this is ALL weightlifting forums. Everyone starts somewhere. Not everyone is going to change. Give them advice and move along, it is up to them to use it.

I don't understand why you come here or even care what other people think. You speak about being a man, so turn of The View and get your ass in the gym, Nancy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markdk86 View Post
    Funny how you make so many accusations of this forum when you have been here 1-2 months, while many of the people replying to this thread have been here for years. Does the forum have kids coming in looking for advice for their routines from FLEX or MUSCLE MAG? Yes, but this is ALL weightlifting forums. Everyone starts somewhere. Not everyone is going to change. Give them advice and move along, it is up to them to use it.

I don't understand why you come here or even care what other people think. You speak about being a man, so turn of The View and get your ass in the gym, Nancy.
    Nancy?Whats that from 1935?Im sorry I rocked your boat fella.

Are you kidding me?"Why did you come here?"We've been here longer".If thats not the gayest ****ing thing I've heard all day.Its a FORUM!I dont give a damn if youve been here since 2005.Or if your a "Senior" member.What does that mean?Youve paid some kind of dues sitting on your ass and critisizing guys like me?What a tool.As far as advice goes,I suggest you check my other posts.And being how Im a trainer,I give advice all day.It was my mistake to believe we were all grown men here that could discuss things without getting feelings hurt.Ive never seen so many defensive little children.So touchy.But good for comic relief.

Nancy?Whats that from 1935?Im sorry I rocked your boat fella.

Are you kidding me?"Why did you come here?"We've been here longer".If thats not the gayest ****ing thing I've heard all day.Its a FORUM!I dont give a damn if youve been here since 2005.Or if your a "Senior" member.What does that mean?Youve paid some kind of dues sitting on your ass and critisizing guys like me?What a tool.As far as advice goes,I suggest you check my other posts.And being how Im a trainer,I give advice all day.It was my mistake to believe we were all grown men here that could discuss things without getting feelings hurt.Ive never seen so many defensive little children.So touchy.But good for comic relief.

The whole length of time being here has to do with the scrutinizing remarks on judging other members when you haven't even been here long enough to judge this place or come to know some of its members. You may have interpreted it incorrectly or I should have been more clear. I just don't know why you came here if you are going to be a dick.

As for "Nancy", it was a play on your lumberjack mentality and referring to certain kinds of people as pansies, but I guess a play on works could not be understood by a big burly man like yourself

Let's stop the hate, guys. This conversation is no longer productive and certainly has nothing to do with diet and nutrition. There's no need for name calling.

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    I'm just gonna add that i hate emo's and at 23 have just lost the obsession with trying to be cut up (which stemmed from being bullied as a child and suffering from depression for years). Now ive finally stopped caring and started eating more ive gained more confidence and even at a fairly high body fat i still get compliments on my appearance which makes me think i look good. Mike, you're pretty much me in a few years from the sounds of it, appearance and everything (although im nowhere near as big...yet!) and it's nice to see that someone shares the views that i have now. My town has a massive emo/poser scene and me and my friends are pretty much the only people that have retained our integrity music and appearance wise and havent just changed to look cool/conform with the latest trend.
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

the hate was begun with the very first post, scrutinizing others for low bodyfat goals..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    I'm just gonna add that i hate emo's and at 23 have just lost the obsession with trying to be cut up (which stemmed from being bullied as a child and suffering from depression for years). Now ive finally stopped caring and started eating more ive gained more confidence and even at a fairly high body fat i still get compliments on my appearance which makes me think i look good. Mike, you're pretty much me in a few years from the sounds of it, appearance and everything (although im nowhere near as big...yet!) and it's nice to see that someone shares the views that i have now. My town has a massive emo/poser scene and me and my friends are pretty much the only people that have retained our integrity music and appearance wise and havent just changed to look cool/conform with the latest trend.
    Kong,thanks for the support.And by the looks of it your well on your way to being a monster.Those are some good numbers,especially the deadlift.(Not too far from mine).And Im with ya,**** Emo!

Wannabebig Member
    this thread has gotten so pointless. I dont think anyone has actually read into this right. Mike is mearly complaining on what he sees being a trainer everyday and being a part time trainer myself I know what he is talking about. I have young clients come to me all the time wanting to be big and loose weight all at the same time. They work hard and see no results but they dont eat because they want to loose weight. As mike has said before you either do one or the other get big or cut and I have heard loads of other trainers tell me it is so much easier to cut once you have put on some mass and want to get lean muscle. Mike is an OG in lifting and he believes in what he belives which is the old school blow the **** up lifting. This happenes with every sport out there the OGs get heated because the new younger guys come in wanting everything to be easy and just jumping to the good stuff without putting in the hard work and the basics that will hurt you in the end. Think about any sport you do and its all the same and I see it first hand
    **** emo and Ill take Kate Hudson!!

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    I wasted nearly 3 years of training by either not training or eating properly because i wanted to look 'good' by societies/the medias standards and i think its wrong now that children are made to feel like that especially children that are more impressionable and suffer from problems (like me with depression and low self esteem from bullying). When i was younger seeing people that had six packs in all the magazines made me think that it was the norm and that i had to look like that to be accepted like all the popular kids at school. I always struggled with sports aswell due to suffering from athma and a hole in my heart and got grief of others for not performing as well. Weight traing made me realise that i could be better than all the sporty cool kids than something. Now ive realised that im better than that cause the big guys who dont care are the cool ones! I could rant all day but im behaving myself! I love being big and strong with a belly!
    Last edited by Kong; 07-17-2008 at 02:49 PM.
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Mike, are you sponsored by Atlarge?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    I have a feeling youre going to be refering to the 2 guys on the front page wit abs...

Quote Originally Posted by RazorsEdge View Post
    I have a feeling youre going to be refering to the 2 guys on the front page wit abs...
    Come again?

lol

Come again?
    there are two ripped up guys on the front page of atlarge's site..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake View Post
    lol

there are two ripped up guys on the front page of atlarge's site..
    Ahhh. I wouldn't know, since I don't buy from Atlarge any more.

Banned
    Much respect to RazorsEdge and Kong for understanding where Im coming from.

When did this turn into me against abs?How do you know I dont have a six pack?You dont.Once again,this was directed at young guys who are more concerned with appearance than maximizing potential.Thats it.The rest of you turned it into a Bodybuilding/Powerlifting war.Blame yourself for that.
    Last edited by Tennessee Mike; 07-17-2008 at 04:56 PM.

The debate is this.If your going to a gym and busting your ass,and blowin off your friends and girlfriends,etc to do it,then it better be for a reason other than the way you look.If thats the case,you have severe insecurities and mental problems.If your measuring your bodyparts or staring in a mirror all the time,your basically a little girl.Chicks stare in the mirror and worry about their waistline and how they look in a tight shirt.Not men.Not real men.The process of building muscle and the goal of adding new muscle is gauged by strength and size.Thats progress.Not if you can see another ab.Or if the skinny blonde girl wants to **** you.I cant believe Brad ****ing Pitt was even mentioned on this form.Who watches a Brad Pitt movie and says"he looks good".I'll tell you who...a chick!If you look in a mirror and say to yourself"Im fat,I cant see my ab's" or " I cant see my veins when I get a pump",you need to go out and buy a dress right now.Pathetic.
    That's when it turned into you against abs. That's you blatantly demeaning the "sport" of bodybuilding.

Everyone has different opinions and goals. For me, it's easy to get big and strong. Just eat and lift and watch both my belly and my muscles grow. It's a challenge to get my bodyfat down under 10% and that's what I thrive on.

Granted, this thread may have been towards younger lifters, but the post that you posted above is a generalization for anybody to pickup on and is the endless argument of bodybuilding vs powerlifting..

To say someone worried about their size instead of their strength is less "manly" than someone worried about their strength over their size is absurd. That's a insult to all of bodybuilding.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Everyone has different goals in life and different ways of meeting said goals. Why get all caught up about it? Just like you frown upon body building I frown upon the hardcore powerlifters that would do anything for an extra lb on a lift. Thats an opinion though and I don't really care to hold it against anyone. Who cares if some dude wants to dress like a girl; it doesn't really matter unless they are offending you in same way.
    My Journal - Taking Back What is Mine
    5'11" 204 lbs
    Recovering from 2 fractured vertebrae and thyroid cancer

Wannabebig Member
    im 20 years old, i started out at 140lbs, now im a little over 160, and im going to keep trying to add more but im not trying to bulk up and get a belly or look sloppy, i want to stay cut, i do care about my bf %, im trying to stay lean, but i also train MMA, so i could be an acception.

not everybody wants to be a body builder, powerlifter, ect. some people just want to stay in shape and try to look good, maybe for others, or maybe for themselves. who cares, everybody has their different reasons for lifting

Respect is earned.How bout respect your elders?
    You just said that respect is earned. Just because you've managed to not die for longer than someone else doesn't earn you that respect.

The fact that every post you've made in this thread is inflammatory and only conveys "everyone who isn't a powerlifter is useless" hasn't showed that you're worthy of anyone's respect except those that share those opinions, since all you're doing is alienating everyone else. I don't know if you're expecting everyone to magically decide that you're right and they're wrong, but that just won't happen.

Live and let live. Everyone will do what he wants. If your problem is with kids being stupid, guess what, Sparky? KIDS ARE ****ING STUPID AND YOU CAN'T CHANGE THAT. Welcome to the real world.

It's time to let this thing die.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Nobody earns respect over the internet. If y'all have useful opinions and advice, those are welcome, but condescending posts and threads towards others, their views and their opinions are not.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.