Thread: casein vs. whey

Wannabebig Member

casein vs. whey

I'm looking to make my own weight gainer shakes. The problem is the protein powder. I'm Muslim so I only eat Halal (pretty much just like Kosher... I can also eat Kosher) meat, and this includes sources of whey which use rennet.

Casein on the other hand, from what I understand, is purely from dairy products?

If I were to use two scoops of 100% casein protein powder for my shakes (3 a day, around 600-800 cal each), how would that be for a bulk? I wouldn't have any whey source for post-workout shakes. So what should I do for post-workout? Eat a meal instead? What should be in it?

Also, if anyone has recommendations for stores/products of Kosher/Halal Whey products and any Casein-only powders, please share!

Quote Originally Posted by rma11 View Post
    I'm looking to make my own weight gainer shakes. The problem is the protein powder. I'm Muslim so I only eat Halal (pretty much just like Kosher... I can also eat Kosher) meat, and this includes sources of whey which use rennet.

Casein on the other hand, from what I understand, is purely from dairy products?

If I were to use two scoops of 100% casein protein powder for my shakes (3 a day, around 600-800 cal each), how would that be for a bulk? I wouldn't have any whey source for post-workout shakes. So what should I do for post-workout? Eat a meal instead? What should be in it?

Also, if anyone has recommendations for stores/products of Kosher/Halal Whey products and any Casein-only powders, please share!
    What is rennet?

Casein should be fine. You want to replenish your glycogen stores after you work out, which you do by drinking/eating carbs (particularly waxy maize or dextrose, immediately post-workout). I usually mix my dextrose with whey, but honestly, for the level that most people here are at (including me) I doubt it makes a huge difference what kind of protein you use.

You want your whey post workout. Very fast disgestion. However if it's going to be a big pain to incorporate it this, don't sweat it. Just eat.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates