Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obsession with cuts amongst younger lifters.

Hybrid View

Banned

Obsession with cuts amongst younger lifters.

I felt the need to bring this up.As I approach 35 yrs old,I tend to look back to when I was 16 and got really serious about training.Being big and strong was something I wanted from a very early age.I use to watch proffessional wrestling and think guys like Ivan Putski,Don Muraco,and Jimmy Snuka were the biggest guys in the world.When I started playing High School football,all I wanted to do was get bigger and stronger so I would be a better LB.Even when I started competing in bodybuilding,I loved everything about it but contest prep and dieting.Finally as a powerlifter I feel at home in my skin.Big and strong.

What I dont get is the obsession young guys have with cuts,abdominal detail,or just low bodyfat in general.When your old is when you should worry about bodyfat and cholesterol,blood pressure.Not at 18 yrs old.So many guys are afraid to bulk up if it means getting a belly.Why?Are you in the gym 4-5 days a week to impress chicks?Every year as a trainer,I have a few kids who wants to put on size for football(I live in TN,where high school football is as serious as collge in some areas) ,but yet the first thing he says is"I want a six pack".I truly blame magazines like Flex,Mens Health,Muscle and Fitness,and television for this.Its the same with women,I know.But for a young guy who has levels of natural testosterone I wish I still had to not eat enough food for growth,or to do massive amounts of running to stay lean while trying to bulk,is rediculous to me.We are men.We are supposed to be big.

And Im not directing this to certain types of athletes that require one to stay in a certain bodyfat range.Im talking about your average kid who claims he wants to "be huge".Whats the deal?
    Last edited by Tennessee Mike; 07-16-2008 at 06:12 AM.

I spent a happy few months very close to 240 pounds. Count me as one of the rare exceptions.

Most of it has to do with girls, alot of girls at younger ages are barely sticks themselves, and like wise they like skinny pretty boys, as they got older and suddenly they get more meat on their hips, they tend to appreciate a fellah with a bit more size.

I was always lucky that I look much much older than I am, plus, I prefer little Italian/greek girls who are more likely to get some more weight around their hips much earlier and as such want a boyfriend that is bigger than them, not lighter.

Regardless, it is not somethin you can do anything about and is really a social trend. I take pride in the fact that Im the kid at prom in a classic clean cut suit who let's his carraige and pride show through his posture than some emo punk smaller than my leg in a multicoloured suit.

I can answer more questions or go into more depth id you want, Im smack bang in the age bracket you are talking about.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Banned
    Ive always found that the girls woth getting like Bigger guys.But then again,I like my women a little more curvy.The one thing Im thankful for Is that I missed the Emo trend.Me and my Metal friends would have been cracking skulls if we were subjected to that kind of gayness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    Ive always found that the girls woth getting like Bigger guys.But then again,I like my women a little more curvy.The one thing Im thankful for Is that I missed the Emo trend.Me and my Metal friends would have been cracking skulls if we were subjected to that kind of gayness.
    If only I had friends like you now.

Another good example are teenagers and cars, many are willing to go to extremes to get a car to impress girls.

For ****s sake the only thing I want any girl looking at is me when I step out of the car!
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 07-16-2008 at 06:38 AM.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Mike,

As a performance coach I definitely agree. I see it all of the time with my football kids and I see it in the gym.

Fuzzy's right, it's the girls. I remember mentoring a bunch of high school guys (not in weightlifting, it was a social work-type program) in a residential setting. They were all about getting the cuts to get the girls. I used to tell them: "Guys, the girls that you like are all about those cuts. The women that I date like their men big, strong, and able to lay it down". They all used to laugh, but they also used to give me a high five and say "damn!" when they saw my dates.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Banned
    i remember when this chikc i was dating insulated me my junior or senior year, she called me skinny, should have back handed her as i thought i was built back then.
    then another chick said i was the biggest little guy she has ever seen, i was like whattheheck does that mean?
    another chick disliked my "big" 15.5 arms and wanted me to ware shirts with long sleeves when we went out.
    but most chicks like skinny cut guys in highschool
    my wife now hates my round butt and doesnt want me to get more muscular, though she says i can get fatter.

isnt it crazy how that works out. I was one of the larger kids in school, not horribly fat but I had a gut whle most were pretty skinny, or really big. all the girls liked the skinny kids. the only respect I got was going over my friends house and having him show off my arms to his father lol, I think I was 15 and at about 16.5". now my girlfriend (who has hips but is very small, ) tries feeding me brownies every chance she gets.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    i remember when this chikc i was dating insulated me my junior or senior year, she called me skinny, should have back handed her as i thought i was built back then.
    A girl insulated you in your junior or senior year?? That sounds quite pleasurable. Seriously though insulated isn't even a typo of insulted, unless you have eight fingers on each hand.

To those that do take issue with people who don't want to get big, don't you have friends, brothers, maybe even children who have absolutely no interest in this whole scene? Do you honestly despise them for being weak and skinny?

I don't want to get into a philosophical debate about virtuousness, but needless to say I have been repeatedly disappointed by how shallow and un virtuous a lot of big strong guys are. Sorry but I think some people (and I'm not necessarily directing this towards anyone in this thread) have a very misguided sense of manliness. Sure strength and size are admirable qualities, but only when coupled with a personality that has a sense of modesty and common empathy.

Alan Turing, a pioneering computer scientist who helped break Nazi codes during WW2 was gay skinny and liked jogging. Despite playing a huge individual role in defeting the Nazis, he was prosecuted for being gay and eventually killed himself. He was a real man. Off topic I know, but the general undercurrent of a lot of these threads is that being big, strong and stoic are the only virtues really worth a damn in a man, which isn't in the least bit true.

I wanted a 6 pack for a long time just for my own sake, because I never liked the idea of 'having a belly'.

But once I started coming here and learning more.... belly doesn't matter if it makes me stronger (or if not belly, lack of "abs" definition in that area)

I love this stuff, only downside I see is that I can't do it every day.

Trying not to die young.

I think most of is appearance, most of the college guys at my gym are more into aesthetics. We watched Fools gold and my wife is like why can't you look like him, he is built, but I have no desire to be that "small" I guess? Abs are cool but most people have to stay fairly small to keep abs, naturally anyway.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    I think most of is appearance, most of the college guys at my gym are more into aesthetics. We watched Fools gold and my wife is like why can't you look like him, he is built, but I have no desire to be that "small" I guess? Abs are cool but most people have to stay fairly small to keep abs, naturally anyway.
    funny my girl told me the same thing while watching that movie the other night.

Razor Well I told the wife, it's win win, you keep looking him and I will keep watching Kate Hudson!
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold

Banned
    kate is to skinny

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    kate is to skinny
    I disagree

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    I disagree
    well if you like flat boards, then more power to ya.
    not to say i wouldnt like to use her as a board press at all.

Banned
    I think we've gone off topic..horny bastards.

Gay men like skinny guys with 6 packs. That's all I'm saying.
    I'm 39, my fiancee (she's 31) says she likes my shoulders traps and arms, and bigger calves. I think I look best at 12-15% bf. Feel better too. I'll probably never diet down to sub 10% again. There's a bunch of gay men in my neighborhood, I have to watch out for myself.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I can understand your gripe about guys who want to get cut up and have defined abs without much
    size. Thatís always annoyed me. Whatís more is when a girl says something along the lines of ďhe
    looks like heís in good shapeĒ while referring to someone that looks like Scott Weiland with his shirt
    off. Just because he has no body fat and defined abs doesnít mean itís attractive. Get him up close
    and youíll understand.

However, what I did want to address is that Iím an adherer of getting big and staying lean. Iím not
    focused on have full definition in my abs. But I want to grow in size and not get a gut. Iím not
    impressed by guys with massive chests if their belly is competing for which can be further away from
    the body.

On a sidebar I wanted to comment on the whole girls thing. When I was in high school I was small
    and skinny. I remember dancing at a formal with a girl and she commented at how small my waist
    was since she was touching it. Itís things like that that encouraged me to get bigger.

rar!
    I'm not old at all, but I remember the action heroes of my day being guys like Arnold. Now, Topher freakin' Grace plays Eddie Brock and Tobey McGuire is spiderman. Seriously, hollywood could not have emo-fied the spiderman series more.

Once I remember our ATC at school saying that Brad Pitt was so "ripped" in fight club. Even said he was "huge". He might have been 175lbs. This is where the kids get it. The fat-phobia of women has somehow migrated into male culture. Even in 300, they doctored up the abs for appearance. I know rangy guys are more accurate for the hoplite, but that's a step far. TC's article, Blue Lizard, is an interesting look at this sort of thing, testosterone culture and all.

The funny thing is, as mentioned, the kids are all obsessed with this mtv-driven crap for looks. If they really want a chicks attention (how about some confidence or pride from working hard with heavy weights instead?), get some back and shoulders. She ain't going to know what your abs look like anyway unless, well, she liked everything else first. The irony is that usually the guys that have the most impressive physiques are the ones that don't care about what their abs look like in different lighting.

emo sucks. I listen to Killswitch Engage, lift heavy weights, and eat cholesterol laden foods. Despite how "bad" this is supposed to be, my health and appearance pretty much trumps everybody that goes to the gym and curls away in the squat rack and finishes up with a $10 starbucks drink.

Everything that is wrong in the world is embodied in the emo culture. If it was legal to beat a guy for being a raging emosexual I would have bloody knuckles every day.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanDrago View Post

Once I remember our ATC at school saying that Brad Pitt was so "ripped" in fight club. Even said he was "huge". He might have been 175lbs. .
    If I recall correctly, Brad was 155 lbs at 5'11'' in fight club. Tiny.
    DL 365x2
    Bench 275x2
    Squat 285x4

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    Emo, like Goth, but for pussies.

Last edited by HP666; 07-16-2008 at 04:17 PM.

My roommate only obsesses about arms chest and abs. He just want them so he can pick up girls.

My other roommate sees my way now. He still wants to look good but he understands he needs to work out his entire body, be proportionate and lift heavy weights. A lot of this is lack of knowledge and obsession with media.