The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Senior Member mikesbench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kenosha, WI
    Posts
    825

    405 raw.....FINALLY!

    I've been trying to hit 405 raw for a while now (been like a year and a half since I first did 385...), I don't put a lot of training into raw bench since I compete with a shirt, but it's always been a "side goal" that I've wanted.
    Last weekend I also got my first 600 in a shirt, so I definitely feel that when my raw bench comes up it does help my shirted bench (my weakness even in a shirt always seems to be the bottom of the lift) and I've been working my back harder and DB benching more lately to help this, and I guess in doing that I've found out how to raise my raw bench.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    (SPEEDY) Beast Genetics's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Slidell,LA
    Posts
    82
    Congrats bro nothing like hitting a goal!!!!
    Excuses or results you cant have both.


    Training Journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=120147

    Vidshttp://www.youtube.com/user/gonzawr

  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    1,451
    awesome, must feel great,
    I have been trying to get a 405 raw bench myself for a while, think im getting close

    what weight are you at now?

  5. #4
    Senior Member mikesbench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kenosha, WI
    Posts
    825
    Thanks guys....
    Hawk, right now I'm maintaining about 198...so I bounce between the 181 and 198 weight classes. If you hit 405 at around 165 that'll be great! What's your training routine like?

  6. #5
    Wannabebig Member ironmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8
    congrats on hitting that 405 goal. very nice lift.
    “The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!” - Eleanor Roosevelt

  7. #6
    Super Moderator vdizenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,363
    Very cool, great work!


    Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

    My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

    "The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

  8. #7
    professional psychopath
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Side Gym
    Posts
    280
    600 at 198. I'm jealous.

    Nice Job
    Clearly, daddy didn't beat you enough as a child. If you were in front of us you'd show respect, so don't be an internet punk. - Matt Rhodes

  9. #8
    Senior Member mikesbench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kenosha, WI
    Posts
    825
    Thanks guys, I have a long way to go to catch Vin though; my shirt just gets me to where you are raw!! I remember reading an article of yours on elite and that actually helped me a lot. Thanks everyone for the support, and Vin, thanks for always sharing your knowledge so that we can all progress.

  10. #9
    Senior Member MNRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    164
    Congrats on the goal man!


    You're not that far from Rochester MN are you?

  11. #10
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    34
    congrats on reaching that milestone. onward and upward....
    45 yrs old
    5'5"
    175 lbs
    340 bench
    495 sumo deadlift
    505 squat
    all raw lifts unofficial

  12. #11
    Senior Member mikesbench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kenosha, WI
    Posts
    825
    MNRob..... I'm way down in the southeast corner of WI, basically 1/2 way between Chicago and Milwaukee.

  13. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    1,451
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesbench View Post
    Thanks guys....
    Hawk, right now I'm maintaining about 198...so I bounce between the 181 and 198 weight classes. If you hit 405 at around 165 that'll be great! What's your training routine like?
    tuesday i have been focusing on heavy (chest) bench, and back, thrusday squats and deads, then saturday, triceps and bis which has been including allot of close grip benching with chains and boards, and am starting to do some shirt work on saturday.
    body weight is around 174-177 usually, but compete at the 165lb class
    last tuesday i just barley missed 390 after a workout, should have got it but right arm started to go down half way up, im confident as long as i dont get injured this run ill finally get the 4 plates per side with in the next 2 months.

    dang your getting 200lbs on you shirt thats pretty good, what shirt do you have? wish i could get that much and anything out of mine.

  14. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,903
    congrats man

  15. #14
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,267
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    tuesday i have been focusing on heavy (chest) bench, and back, thrusday squats and deads, then saturday, triceps and bis which has been including allot of close grip benching with chains and boards, and am starting to do some shirt work on saturday.
    body weight is around 174-177 usually, but compete at the 165lb class
    last tuesday i just barley missed 390 after a workout, should have got it but right arm started to go down half way up, im confident as long as i dont get injured this run ill finally get the 4 plates per side with in the next 2 months.

    dang your getting 200lbs on you shirt thats pretty good, what shirt do you have? wish i could get that much and anything out of mine.

    If you want to get serious about shirt benching, you really need to start training with some guys who know what they are doing. It's not really something you will improve much on without good help and spotting(for safety). With your raw strength you should be able to work your way up to 600+ in a decent shirt. I know you really love the raw stuff and are obviously very good at it, but you may need to back off of it some and focus more on shirt work to get the shirt max up.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

  16. #15
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,267
    And to the OP, congrats on the huge milestone! Now go after 455!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

  17. #16
    Senior Member mikesbench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kenosha, WI
    Posts
    825
    Thanks Chris, you're exactly right; I was appy for about a day that I got 405; now I'm just looking ahead again. Being satisfied is certain death to your lifts!

    Smokinhawk, I have a Rage-X shirt, which is actually old and worn out (like 3 1/2 years old). For whatever reason though I've tried other shirts and this one just always makes me feel more comfortable.

    I know a lot of my progress in the past has come after finally pushing past plateaus; so I'm expecting to go deep into the 6's soon, especialy if I can get myself set up witha newer rage-x, or possibly the super phenom.

  18. #17
    NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    GREAT BLUEGRASS STATE
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesbench View Post
    I've been trying to hit 405 raw for a while now (been like a year and a half since I first did 385...), I don't put a lot of training into raw bench since I compete with a shirt, but it's always been a "side goal" that I've wanted.
    Last weekend I also got my first 600 in a shirt, so I definitely feel that when my raw bench comes up it does help my shirted bench (my weakness even in a shirt always seems to be the bottom of the lift) and I've been working my back harder and DB benching more lately to help this, and I guess in doing that I've found out how to raise my raw bench.
    Congratulations on your 405 unequipped bp

    TRAIN HARD

    "BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

  19. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    1,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    If you want to get serious about shirt benching, you really need to start training with some guys who know what they are doing. It's not really something you will improve much on without good help and spotting(for safety). With your raw strength you should be able to work your way up to 600+ in a decent shirt. I know you really love the raw stuff and are obviously very good at it, but you may need to back off of it some and focus more on shirt work to get the shirt max up.
    yep, me and another guy has been trying to start to train with Mike Wolfe, i think he will help us get to the next level.

    good luck mikesbench, keep moving up and stay injury free.
    any videos of your lifts with or without a shirt?

  20. #19
    Breaker of Skulls Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    40N 88W
    Posts
    11,317
    Wow! Nice. What type of shirt are using that you almost get 200lbs out of it?
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1


    My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

    "Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

  21. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    1,451
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Wow! Nice. What type of shirt are using that you almost get 200lbs out of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesbench View Post
    I have a Rage-X shirt, which is actually old and worn out (like 3 1/2 years old). For whatever reason though I've tried other shirts and this one just always makes me feel more comfortable.

    I know a lot of my progress in the past has come after finally pushing past plateaus; so I'm expecting to go deep into the 6's soon, especialy if I can get myself set up witha newer rage-x, or possibly the super phenom.

  22. #21
    THE FRIDGE! thewicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    880
    sick lifting at 198! WOW!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

    90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

  23. #22
    WannaBeBig Member mike42506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    167
    good job!
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy.

  24. #23
    Senior Member mikesbench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kenosha, WI
    Posts
    825
    I have a few youtube videos that are kind of old and mostly me working with a Metal Bash that I didn't like enough to keep using. My name on there is mikesbench600. I don't have enough posts on here yet to post links to videos.

  25. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Piqua, OH
    Posts
    1,451

  26. #25
    Senior Member mikesbench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kenosha, WI
    Posts
    825
    Here's a video link of a 365 x 2 I did yesterday.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thWNKkI_gFo
    Last edited by mikesbench; 07-27-2008 at 11:11 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. What's Next?!?- Path Of Destruction
    By THE BRUTE in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 11:31 AM
  2. Finally after chasing 600 for 2 years .
    By Eric Downey in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-28-2008, 11:37 PM
  3. Meatless
    By teaturtle in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 09-29-2006, 02:27 AM
  4. Raw Omnivorous diet
    By Plunkan in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 12:37 AM
  5. Raw eggs and protein amount
    By Crimson in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-23-2001, 03:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •