Thread: Good breakfast carbs?

Wannabebig Member

Good breakfast carbs?

I go to the gym about an hour after I get up in the moring. After my lifts I do a decent run.
    What are the best carbs to eat for breakfast that will give me energy within an hour and half of eating them. Cause I've noticed I can poop out pretty fast on my run if I don't have any carbs in me.
    I'm talking healthy carbs too here. Cause when I trained for a local boxing tounrnament last year I ate pancakes and heavy maple syrup for breakfast and God could I go and go forever cardio wise!
    I know what the good carbs are, whole weat, oatmeal, etc. But I am curious which of the healthy type gives the most energy in the shortest time?
    Last edited by ten_ton; 07-19-2010 at 04:46 PM.

I wannabebig!
    You just asked what could you eat to give you energy. Afterward, proceeded to tell us what you did before that gave you that energy. Now you're wondering what you should eat?

if it aint broke, dont fix it

theres nothing "unhealthy" about pancakes.
    Last edited by ryuage; 07-19-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, how about this. What is more effective for burning fat and trimming up.
    Eating some good ole pancakes with full flavor sugary as hell maple syrup and having the energy to run a couple miles after your workout or eating oatmeal and getting tired a 1/2 mile into your run. Cause that seams to be the case with me.
    Which one is more beneficial?
    Last edited by ten_ton; 07-19-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Whichever results in the smallest calorie surplus (or greatest calorie deficit if you run enough afterwards).

For example, let's say that the pancakes contain 500 calories and you burn 300 on your run that leaves 200. If the oatmeal contains 300 and you burn 100 on your run you're again left with 200.

For the purposes of weight loss both examples give the same result.

Now let's say that the pancakes contain 500 calories and you burn 200 on your run leaving 300 and the oatmeal contains 300 and you burn 150 on your run leaving you with 150.

In this instance the oatmeal is the superior choice if weight loss is the goal.
    Last edited by tom183; 07-19-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Were you gaining fat when you were eatting the pancakes and getting good workouts and runs in? Unless you were, and at a rate deemed unacceptable by you it would be foolish to sacrifice energy for "healthier" options if what you were doing served to meet your needs physically and aesthetically.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the posts guys.
    @Behemoth, I was training for a boxing tournament so I was doing ALOT of cardio. I needed alot of cals to keep up energy.
    This time around I am just coming off a about a 6 month lay-off from any physical training and got some excess weight I need to shed. I wont be doing near as much cardio as I was then I was training for boxing. Which is why I was curious if I should switch up my old breakfast. I think I'm gonna stick with pancakes and go all out when lifting and running. And then throughout the day I will incorporate whole wheat, fruit and vegies into the diet. Oh and just so you know I get plenty of protein through the day, I was just curious on carbs.

I wannabebig!
    just eat a bit less than you normally would... keep the pancakes and syrup if that's what you want to eat.

500 calories of pancakes w/syrup is no worse than 500 calories of oatmeal.

One would probably provide more fiber and keep you more full, but in the end calories would be equivalent.

Banned
    Omelets are a good option. To caramelize the onions, add some meat and cheese. You have great taste and high protein, you may have a small amount of carbohydrate in the form of toast or hash browns / home. The protein must maintain its doping BG.

Steel-cut oats are the way to go for sure, there are endless possibilities of fruits you can add for texture and taste.

Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwhichs are a pretty good option. Decent carbs, protein, and fat.

Yogurt and granola is another good option. Granola has a lot of calories to it.