The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar

PSMF = fast weight loss??? Veterans?

Hey all, (sorry for the long post)

Just read the thread posted by sandcracker21 regarding fast(er) weight loss. The PSMF (Protein Sparing Modified Fast) was mentioned but I couldn't find anything else on this site when searched. I Googled it and just about every article I found talked about how dangerous this type of diet can be if the proper nutrients are not taken in conjunction with the fast.

The very first article I read said to drink 4 protein shakes per day then eat a steak at night with spinich or salad w/lowfat dressing. It didn't address amount of calories, liver or kidney issues, high potential for dehydration, calcium depletion, etc.

Other articles were incredibly complicated with mathematical equations for % BF, grams carbs/pro/fat... I weigh 188 lbs and according to the calculations my daily protein requirement would be less than 90 grams???

Any veterans out there that can simplify and explain how to safely comply with this type of diet? i.e calories, protein per lbs of body weight. Amount of magnesium, calcium, potasium required... any other info?

I'm currently trying to bulk but I'd hate for someone to read the same article I did and hurt themselves by attempting a rapid weight loss with 4 shakes and a steak...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

how did you search? I typed in PMSF in titles only and got over 60 results

http://wannabebigforums.com/search.php?searchid=1517520
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I did the same. I read thru 8 or 9 articles and a couple blogs but they were either very generic or very complicated.

I wannabebig!

the steak has a very high fat content, therefore it would not fit in the PSMF..

its' a protein saturated modified fast.. stop and think about that for a second..

it's a modified fast, so it's going to have VERY low calories...
    its protein saturated, so it's going to have high protein..

buy the book that ryuage pointed to or do a search for it on www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums ->there are a few people there that have PSMF journals you can take a look at it and see what's going on without having to buy the book..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

i think its all dumb.

dont screw up your body on dumb diets.

EAT: http://whfoods.org/foodstoc.php
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Quote Originally Posted by Torrok View Post
    i think its all dumb.

It's not dumb if it works, and PSMF works well for a lot of people. if you are wanting short term quick weight loss then PSMF is the way to go. BTW, I believe that PSMF actually stands for Protein SPARING Modified Fast, in that you are cutting calories but sparing protein (keep protein high but carbs and fats lower).

For longer term sustained weight loss carb cycling is a very effective method. It involves a drastic reduction in carbs (but perhaps not quite so low as in a ketogenic diet) with planned "refeed" days wherein you are allowed to eat more carbs in order to replenish your glycogen stores (without overdoing it). A lot of people have had a lot of success on it.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Torrok View Post
    i think its all dumb.

Like I said, I'm bulking and not looking to diet and I kind of agree with Torrok... and I appreciate the links to purchase the books but that's not why I posted this thread -

I haven't been on this site long but I've noticed that a lot of the noob's (myself included) start off looking for fast results for whatever we're trying to achieve. I've read threads where noobs argue with the veteran's over diet/workout. The veteran answers noobs questions with realistic advice and noob will argue until the veteran finally asks why noob is here in the first place.

With that in mind, a noob might think he can drop 10-15 lbs in a week if he only drinks protein shakes and eats a steak each night because he saw the same article I did and didn't research it further - not realizing how damaging it can be to the liver/kidneys or how dangerous it can be if calcium/potassium levels plummet, dehydration, etc.

I doubt many noobs will spend $39 on a diet book when they can Google "PSMF" for free... but that free information may not completely inform them and they could get hurt.

I thought that if there were some veterans that had done this type of diet they might explain a simple/safe way to include it in a routine.
    Last edited by 40 Nunc; 07-22-2008 at 12:49 PM.

I wannabebig!
    hrmmm
    Last edited by ryuage; 07-22-2008 at 01:00 PM.

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Getting tired View Post
    Like I said, I'm bulking and not looking to diet and I kind of agree with Torrok... and I appreciate the links to purchase the books but that's not why I posted this thread -

I haven't been on this site long but I've noticed that a lot of the noob's (myself included) start off looking for fast results for whatever we're trying to achieve. I've read threads where noobs argue with the veteran's over diet/workout. The veteran answers noobs questions with realistic advice and noob will argue until the veteran finally asks why noob is here in the first place.

With that in mind, a noob might think he can drop 10-15 lbs in a week if he only drinks protein shakes and eats a steak each night because he saw the same article I did and didn't research it further - not realizing how damaging it can be to the liver/kidneys or how dangerous it can be if calcium/potassium levels plummet, dehydration, etc.

I doubt many noobs will spend $39 on a diet book when they can Google "PSMF" for free... but that free information may not completely inform them and they could get hurt.

I thought that if there were some veterans that had done this type of diet they might explain a simple/safe way to include it in a routine.
    so what is to stop them from finding the same articles/threads as yourself and find this one... what is going to differentiate the material in what is right and wrong? there are tons of places that people can google and find the "correct" material, but how will they know? people make stupid decisions all the time and learn from them... use common sense.

Thanks LittleJake...

Again, I'm trying to gain weight not lose it so I have no intention of incorporating this into my diet/workout routine. It just sounds like a bad idea but someone new will try this diet and I figured one of the veterans could explain the process, dangers and recommend supplements, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage View Post
    so what is to stop them from finding the same articles/threads as yourself and find this one... what is going to differentiate the material in what is right and wrong? there are tons of places that people can google and find the "correct" material, but how will they know? people make stupid decisions all the time and learn from them... use common sense.
    ryuage - should we learn from stupid decisions or use common sense? Kinda hard to do both. You posted 2 links above - was that the "correct" material? This website WBB (which I found on Google) is for sharing information right? "Use common sense" could be the answer to every question posted on this site but we ask anyways hoping the "pros" (like yourself) will help us differentiate what is right and wrong...

Thanks LittleJake...

Again, I'm trying to gain weight not lose it so I have no intention of incorporating this into my diet/workout routine. It just sounds like a bad idea but someone new will try this diet and I figured one of the veterans could explain the process, dangers and recommend supplements, etc...
    I would recommend about 10fish oil caps, ALA (alpha lipoic acid), some kind of fat burner and a good multi-vitamin

ryuage - should we learn from stupid decisions or use common sense? Kinda hard to do both. You posted 2 links above - was that the "correct" material? This website WBB (which I found on Google) is for sharing information right? "Use common sense" could be the answer to every question posted on this site but we ask anyways hoping the "pros" (like yourself) will help us differentiate what is right and wrong...
    I know I made a lot of dumb decisions before getting into nutrition. Did it hurt me? no, it just took me longer to reach my goals and made me get more involved in what I'm putting into my body. At some point, everyone will realize this.. Furthermore, the links ryuage posted:: www.bodyrecomposition.com and www.amazon.com sell the book you're referring to. www.bodyrecomposition.com is the website of the author of the PSMF aka The Rapid Fat Loss Diet and amazon.com, obviously, is a huge bookseller website where you can pickup this book.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

I wannabebig!

I would imagine so... especially since the creator of the books site is in fact one of the links I posted.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 40 Nunc View Post
    Thanks LittleJake...

...and I really wish someone would lay out the diet for me so I wouldnt have to actually purchase the book.

Gotcha.

damn, it is sparing.. thanks guido.. I knew it was sparing for some reason put saturated.. oh well..

I'm a veteran and have used this method many times. Along with carb cycling and many other types of diet plans. It works.. regardless of being "dumb" or not.. If some kid feels like he needs to have 4 protein shakes and a steak a day then let him do it and its his fault for not researching it further when he loses all of his LBM and hates himself. 4 protein shakes per day and a steak really isn't that bad anyways. It's not PSMF but its not that bad either. To the layman, a protein shake is a MRP, be it Muscle Milk, 100% Whey Protein, or even a weight gainer. It's all a protein shake to them. So suppose this kid starts drinking 4 weight gainers and eating a steak everyday.. now he's in calorie surplus..

There's no simple/safe way to include this when you're trying to bulk.. it makes no sense unless you're going to consume 500 calories OVER your maintenance in ONLY protein.. THAT'S dumb and that's when kidney and liver issues arise.. not from 800-1200cals/day coming from only protein. PSMF is for cutting only and if someone can't figure that out, then they'll figure it out within a week of being on it.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Wannabebig Member
    Your body burns calories during digestion and when youíre eating more meals - Your body will spend more time burning calories digesting food rather than storing it as fat and a person who eats 5-to-6 small meals a day will burn much more calories than a person who eats 1-to-3 meals. Many of us don't realize that we do not need to sacrifice our love for food. I do not agree that you will need to give up food that you love to eat. The key here is to eat in moderation, my friend Christopher Guerriero once told me that I need to eat low fat longevity foods like salmon almonds, red grapes, blueberries, garlic, spinach and whole grains.

LuNa
    Im pretty sure your advice is a little late .

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hardBODmiranda View Post
    Your body burns calories during digestion and when youíre eating more meals - Your body will spend more time burning calories digesting food rather than storing it as fat and a person who eats 5-to-6 small meals a day will burn much more calories than a person who eats 1-to-3 meals. Many of us don't realize that we do not need to sacrifice our love for food. I do not agree that you will need to give up food that you love to eat. The key here is to eat in moderation, my friend Christopher Guerriero once told me that I need to eat low fat longevity foods like salmon almonds, red grapes, blueberries, garlic, spinach and whole grains.
    Nothing quite like some low-fat salmon and almonds.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    Nothing quite like some low-fat salmon and almonds.
    I laughed at that one too.

Banned
    I expect you will put more article related to this.

this is an old thread...

I can't believe I know so much about dieting, yet I'm such a fatass.. ugh, I just love food
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

I wannabebig!
    heh