The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Difference in Benching

How is it that peoples opinions on bench press reps can very so much?

I know people that do 7-9 sets Monday and Friday, and they are really big. One can bench 500 ORM. They do something like 10/8/6/3/3/2/1.

Then some people say benching once a week, 2 or 3 hard working sets of 6 or 8 reps is enough.

Same with other exercises. How can the line be so... undrawn?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Lots and lots of garbage studies in the anaerobic arena. Without good studies to conclusively demonstrate something one way or the other, you're free to claim pretty much whatever you want.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Busted Limb View Post
    How is it that peoples opinions on bench press reps can very so much?

I know people that do 7-9 sets Monday and Friday, and they are really big. One can bench 500 ORM. They do something like 10/8/6/3/3/2/1.

Then some people say benching once a week, 2 or 3 hard working sets of 6 or 8 reps is enough.

Same with other exercises. How can the line be so... undrawn?

Like I've said before, as long as one gets plenty of food, rest and does not overtrain (while still training hard) they can progress on almost any type of routine. That doesn't even take into account, genetics, steroids, recovery ability...

Unless you are doing something silly like 500 reps per workout, or 1 rep per workout, then things like food and rest, (along with genetics) are more important in determining how you grow and how large you will get.

And that is why. As long as your routine is fairly decent, you can grow on it if the other things are in place. Now whether it's optimal is another story altogether.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 07-24-2008 at 11:00 PM.

with the routine i'm on i end up benching two times a week. One day i go for heavy reps maybe 5's, 3's maybe try for a 2 or a 1. Next bench day has higher reps for the most part.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

The reason there is no clear line is that every human body is different. To find out which approach works best for YOU - hitting the chest once a week or twice a week, or doing 20 chest sets a workout or 10 chest sets a workout - you would have to try them both for an extended period of time and YOUR results would different to the next guys.
    So we all tend to stay within a general rule of hitting the chest once or twice a week, sometime both at different times, because while we are all different, we're not that different, so generalities work.
    Like Songsangnim said, as long as the diet and rest period is right then staying within these generalities will produce results for everyone.