The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

ATF squats vs. parallel

Are ATF squats that much more difficult that true parallel squats?

I ask because I started out doing parallel squats, and decided to try ATF squats today. Boy, was that a huge freakin' peice of humble pie. I was barely able to do 1x5 of 50 lbs less than I had been doing on parallel. It felt like it was impossible to get out of the 'hole' at the bottom of the squat.

Is this difference due to the fact that ATF is that much harder, or just because I need to get used to the motion and balance associated with the bottom half of the squat?

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    it's that much harder. Think of how much further you have to move the weight.

Tricky question. I guess neither is harder in the pure sense. Rather the atg requires more range, flexibility and balanced.

I full squat 484 raw, I cant parallel 400. GO figure.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose06 View Post
    Is this difference due to the fact that ATF is that much harder, or just because I need to get used to the motion and balance associated with the bottom half of the squat?
    Yes.
    You have to get used to the balance and the motion. I've had to "retrain" myself a few times on my squat form to get all the way down. I can't go until my ass hits my ankles, but I get as low as I can, which is way past parallel.

You should see results doing atf's. Make sure you don't relax your legs/knees at the bottom or bounce at the bottom. It has to be controlled down and burst up.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Make sure you don't relax your legs/knees at the bottom or bounce at the bottom. It has to be controlled down and burst up.
    That may have contributed to my problem. I was definitely stopping the motion at the bottom, and then feeling like "Oh, ****, I'm stuck".
    Last edited by mongoose06; 07-23-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Tricky question. I guess neither is harder in the pure sense. Rather the atg requires more range, flexibility and balanced.

hmm never heard that before. Maybe it's because you practice bouncing out of the hole?

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    I think that atf are better for overall growth and progress but paralell is much better for powerlifting/strongman comp where you want minimum possible ROM and maximum weight/reps
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post

You're just not used to that range or having to put on the brakes. When you go full range, your body stops you because you can't go any further, whereas at parallel you are the one who has to stop the movement.

I have a friend at school who is just like you. He can full squat more than he can parallel. He's a thrower on our track and field team. I don't make him do parallel squats though, I like him to keep moving fast

Really it just depends on your goals

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

could somebody video themselves doing atf squats, i want to see your back when you get low to the ground

everytime my back..or butt kinda lowers and bends a little at the bottom, cant really control it...
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Quote Originally Posted by Torrok View Post
    could somebody video themselves doing atf squats, i want to see your back when you get low to the ground

everytime my back..or butt kinda lowers and bends a little at the bottom, cant really control it...
    Just google it. I'm sure there are plenty of examples on youtube of people ATF squatting. Or you could just google and olympic lifter doing a clean and jerk since they are generally front squatting ATF when they catch the bar on the clean.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Torrok View Post

Mine does the same.. I can't really help it either. Here's a vid of me.

Video

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    I had always heard that any rounding of the lower back was a definite no-no. True?

I go as low as I can while maintaining the flat back set, which for me is just below parallel. I had been one of your typical gym 1/4 squatters. It's what everyone was doing. Plus most training books don't properly show the full bottom position.

I've recently started honestly training my squat form. Weight went way down for me as well. Working on getting the flexibility to go ATG, but not there yet.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by CleverName View Post
    Mine does the same.. I can't really help it either. Here's a vid of me.

Video
    yeah thats what happens, but i dont know if its bad for your back or not. my back is perfectly straight the whole time other than at the lowest point.
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

There's a difference between a small degree of movement and full out lumbar flexion. Those squats look good, clever, minus the forward knee movement at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    There's a difference between a small degree of movement and full out lumbar flexion. Those squats look good, clever, minus the forward knee movement at the bottom.
    What do you mean forward knee movement?

Quote Originally Posted by CleverName View Post
    What do you mean forward knee movement?
    The first rep is good, and it gets progressively worse from there. You're allowing your knees to slide forward at the bottom of the movement. This makes the knee angle more acute, and since the hamstrings attach to the tibia this movement effectively contracts the hamstrings without the bar moving upward at all--you have reduced their contribution to the lift.