The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deadlift on the way down...

hey guys,

I think my deadlift technique is ok/decent on my way up, from what I can see. But I seem to have a mental block regarding my form coming down. I've looked on exrx.net and other sites to look at the form coming down, but am just not getting it.

I know this is hard to describe here, but after I am totally straightened out at the top, am I bending at the waist, then knees, then down? I seem to be rounding my back when I'm coming down as well.

And no there's no one I can ask at the community centre gym, the "trainer" there told me to use the Smith machine for squats. Also, the last person I saw doing deadlifts was over 4 months ago.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The down is the exact opposite of the up. Stick your butt out until you get below your knees, then bend at the knees. Don't bend at the knees until the bar is low enough that it won't hit the top of your knees.

Wannabebig Member
    Jorge is right. The way I think of it is bending at the waist, keeping the lower back straight, until your ass is sticking out. Then, keeping your ass out, bend your knees and lower it straight down to the ground, kind of like the downward motion of a squat.

Hope this description helps.

It doesn't need to be lowered slowly either (nor should it be), just under control.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Quote Originally Posted by scumbag View Post
    And no there's no one I can ask at the community centre gym, the "trainer" there told me to use the Smith machine for squats. Also, the last person I saw doing deadlifts was over 4 months ago.
    Thıs remınds me how a whıle back the traıner at my old commercıal gym told me to do seated leg curls for my hams rather than deadlıfts lmfao

Wannabebig Member
    Sorry to add this here but hopefully it will give you a laugh. I was watching the trainer in my gym spot a guy on the smith machine doing bench, he said it is a bit heavy and can you spot me so the trainer sat on the floor and put his hands under the guys elbows!!

I looked over and thought with dumbells yes but how the hell is this 17 year old podgy trainer going to help him if the bar falls! no control what so ever!

Re the deadlift, i had exactly the same problem until i stuck my arse out more, a few people in the gym have said to me dont do deads do the lower back machine over there it is better!! Dudes i think i need a better gym!!
    Last edited by TheGMan; 07-25-2008 at 12:37 AM.

it does help...thx a lot guys

Banned
    Stick your ass out,bend the knees,bring your torso forward until the weights hit the floor.Its a reversal.And tell the trainer who told you to smith squat that he's a little girl.Unless you have knee/back issues,freestyle is superior.

Try keeping the bar really close to your body up and down. I find it really helps on the way back down. Still get a slam at the bottom though. ha

I keep skinning my shins on the way up though.......
    Last edited by Bendthe Bar; 07-25-2008 at 04:31 PM.
    The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very
    act. Go. - H. Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by Bendthe Bar View Post
    I keep skinning my shins on the way up though.......
    Some people's anthropometry makes this completely normal, but it's more likely that you're just starting too far behind the bar with your hips too low.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Some people's anthropometry makes this completely normal, but it's more likely that you're just starting too far behind the bar with your hips too low.
    Yeah I think my thighs may be long in ratio to back and arms. Cheers
    The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very
    act. Go. - H. Rollins