The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

New member here, need help with lifting program.

Hey everyone. I'm 15 and trying to start some serious strength training for tennis. I need to get bigger if I want to play this sport well... ALOT bigger. At the moment, I'm 5'10.5'', and weigh about 120. I'm really lacking in arm, core, and back strength. I'm also clueless about lifting or using machines.

I got a membership to my local rec center to start using the machines there. Can anyone give me some advice for a tennis player?

Matt

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig New Member
    shoot, do I need to post this somewhere else?

Sorry if that's the case,
    Matt

welcome man, yea.... I would recommend going into sports specific. But you can never go wrong with WBB1, Rippetoes SS, Westside for skinney bastards ect. ect. ect. but first off, you need to eat. I'm sure some1 a lot more knowledgable than I will chime in here soon.
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)

Okla.2A State Track Champs weasel's Avatar
    welcome... if you want something training wise just for tenis you can post it http://www.wannabebigforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59 not sure how many people play tennis here but there might be a few.

Bill Star 5x5 routine is good,Rippetoes SS,etc.... are good starting ones i suggest.

sounds like not only you need a routine but you need knowledge on form and such "How to build a monstrous bench press" http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=302 and theres more in the articles area.
    “Your chances of success in any undertaking can always be measured by your belief in yourself.” - Robert Collier

sup bro im also 15(5'7 147 lbs) I'd listen to the advice Twirl gave u also EAT EAT and dont stop. another thing is machinces arent the best, ill stick with free weights. bench,DL's and squat if u wana get bigger. I only have one question ,why do u need get big for tennis?
    Lifting is my life

I am 15
    @ 155 lbs

Wannabebig New Member
    hah I'm not trying to get huge, but tennis today is about power and if you look at today's pros, all have really developed cores and pretty big arms. I'm also trying to get ready for college tennis in the next few years where lifting is part of their regular rutine. Tennis players are probably one of the most fit athletes out there. I just need another part of the puzzle of being a good tennis player, strength.

any advice helps,
    Matt

Go with Rippetoe's until linear progression has been exhausted (~6-9 months of strength training)

Only then it would it behoove you to begin to specifically address the metabolic demands of your sport outside the realm of simply playing tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by tennisplaya615 View Post
    Tennis players are probably one of the most fit athletes out there.
    No, not even close.

Nonetheless, the answer to your questions begin with reading the stickies at the top of this forum. The mods have done a great job taking a handful of the most useful and info-packed threads and permanently posted them at the top.

Great reads for newbies and for those who've been at it for a while to re-read for motivation and reinforcement.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Go with Rippetoe's until linear progression has been exhausted (~6-9 months of strength training)

Only then it would it behoove you to begin to specifically address the metabolic demands of your sport outside the realm of simply playing tennis.
    Exactly.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe