The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

First lifting injury, help appreciated

Well I can't seem to squat very heavy without discomfort/pain. Specifically, when I go in to certain positions I get a shooting pain down my shin on my right leg. As well, If I apply pressure to a certain place on my shin I feel pain. I have attached a photo with pen. When I push on that location I feel pain there and even down to my foot (not really pain at my foot but I feel something). Any ideas as to what this might be? I may go to a walk in clinic tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yeah you may need to see a doctor for that one. Sounds a little bit like a patellar tendon stress

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

From what you described, it sounds like something I overheard a physiotherapist talking to a patient about.. Patellar tendinitis. I was icing my shoulder and listening. Apparenty it's very common in athletes (this girl was a dancer). They were doing some stretches and icing it, and she wore this weird brace over that part of her knee. It looked like a wristband, but big enough to fit on your shin/knee. May want to get it checked out because it's pretty hard to diagnose over the internet.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I agree, it sounds like patellar tendonitis and where you have marked is the exact spot mine hurt when I was diagnosed with it. That's what ended my super heavy squatting.. it felt like I got hit with a steel bat in my knees whenever I put any kind of pressure on them, which included jogging and going up stairs..

See a doc and get an MRI to be sure.. ice it and wear a brace. The brace really didn't help me much, but the inzer knee wraps helped ALOT. I wear them on my left leg whenever I go above 225lbs on squat and above 4pps on leg press. When wrapping, focus on really getting that wrap tight on your patellar tendon..

If it really is tendonitis, get used to eating ibuprofin like candy.

On the flipside, if you've caught it early enough, it can be battled with drugs. My first run in with my patellar tendonitis was "cured" with a drug called Decadron. It's an oral cortico-steroid, he gave me a 10-day prescription. After 10 days, I felt like I had a new knee..... then I went back to my 8pps hack squats and ****ed it up worse on my 2nd rep.. I'll never do hack squats again and I advise against them, but everyone has their own perrogative.

I say get it checked and take it easy on the knees for a bit..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Ah damn it... I just got it last week when experimenting with squat stance/depth. Doc office it is tomorrow.

Ive been having a lot of bad luck lately... aside from the 2pps bench lol.
    Will this ruin any hopes of me competing in PLing?

as long as you layoff the heavy **** for a while, no I don't think it'll ruin PL competition hopes..

but I would do what your doc said.. sometimes these things go away..

I took a little over a year off of legwork and my knee still hurts a little but mine alot more developed thans yours. After I squat or leg press heavy, I can feel it for about 2-3 days, just really stiff. I was first diagnosed with it in june'ish of 2005 after already having issues for 2-3 months and working through it myself. I took the prescription and all was well until I hit that hack squat. That crushed me. After a few weeks it felt better and I started squatting heavy. I was working on raising my squats without knee straps to strengthen tendons and ****ed it up again on a 405x3 squat which was ****ing EASY at the time. On that third rep it felt like someone sliced my tendon and I couldn't walk right for about a week. Thats when he gave me another prescription (this is like 4 months after the original one) and ordered me to get an MRI. Results showed tendonitis and he prescribed physical therapy. Blah, I'm not paying $80/week in copays for physical therapy when I can do leg extensions and lunges on my own. After a few weeks of giving myself physical therapy I decided to stop leg work altogether, then eventually completely fell off the lifting bandwagon for several months at a time. Right now is the longest I've been lifting since 2005. I went from a 585x1 squat down to a 315x3 squat in my break. I'm back up to a 405x3 right now and can push the bar a little higher when I want (which I'll be giving a go at 455 this weekend)..

Anyways, just take care of it and don't be stupid like me and train heavy while injured..
    Last edited by JSully; 07-21-2008 at 05:03 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Lol your first statement doesn't sense :P Pling is about going heavy lol

Any ideas on what I should do on ME lower day for squats than? Just go light?

What are some things I can do for rehab? Man this sucks lol.

hmm.. when I was focusing on PLing, I didn't have ME and DE days.. lol.. I just went ****ing heavy all the time.

yeah I know it doesn't make sense, but you have to stay light for a while to let it heal up.

My rehab was switching to BBing, lol.. I just lift lighter in a higher rep range and wear my knee wraps. I may swap back over in a few years, but right now I'm focused on looking great for my wedding and trying to get into fantastic shape for the fire department.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

I wish I had mono... at least I would get better that way lol.

lol.. I've heard of mono ****ing **** up a lot worse than tendonitis..

you'll make it through..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Get to a dr! It's better to know than guess.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

patellar tendon..probably irritation. Try a pressure wraps or sleeve first to see if that helps, if not see a doc.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Went to the doc (yay Canadian healthcare) and he said it was tendinitis. He said to take it easy for a week and slowly bring it up.

When I had tendonitis, I tried to give it complete rest and it got much worse. Find a good pt to give you the appropriate exercises.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    When I had tendonitis, I tried to give it complete rest and it got much worse. Find a good pt to give you the appropriate exercises.
    Is this the best choice? People around here seem to give you a lot of respect so I take your comments seriously. I really don't want to dish out a lot of cash for this stuff. I have a feeling rest won't be the best course of action. I have looked up on the internet some exercises for this problem.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_jumpersk_rex.htm

I am willing to try this. As well, I will be icing my knee and apply something hot before my workout to loosen it up.

Yo Ryan you know what I do when I have an injury like that. Go to a physiotherapist, schedule 2-3 appointments, figure out what is best to help with rehab, get the exercises, then do them at home. No need to go to a physio every time
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Okla.2A State Track Champs weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    They were doing some stretches and icing it, and she wore this weird brace over that part of her knee. It looked like a wristband, but big enough to fit on your shin/knee. .

like this http://www.bornathleticstore.com/images/cramer_shin.jpg ?

i'm pretty sure i know what your talking about it's "Shin Splints" you get them running or sometimes jumping and stuff man they are killer and end up takeing a while to go away useually. ice,wrapping the shin(or fancy brace like this) will help.

a lot of our track runners get it early on in the season..a big cause of it is running on real hard type surfaces when your not used to it by the end of the season hardly no one had them at all.
    “Your chances of success in any undertaking can always be measured by your belief in yourself.” - Robert Collier

I just did some VERY light squats (135). It was easy but I felt the pain. The pain went away for the most part before the gym and only when I started applying a load to my knee did I feel it. I am EXTREMELY upset as I am now unable to squat or deadlift. My legs and back are going to ****

Time for physio... man this sucks.
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 07-24-2008 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    like this http://www.bornathleticstore.com/images/cramer_shin.jpg ?

i'm pretty sure i know what your talking about it's "Shin Splints" you get them running or sometimes jumping and stuff man they are killer and end up takeing a while to go away useually. ice,wrapping the shin(or fancy brace like this) will help.

a lot of our track runners get it early on in the season..a big cause of it is running on real hard type surfaces when your not used to it by the end of the season hardly no one had them at all.
    I just looked them up and they cost 90 bucks! Would it be smarter buy inzer knee wraps and use them to wrap around the tendon itself? Similar to knee taping... but this way I will also have wraps lol. Or even wrapping my entire shin? lol
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 07-25-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    I just looked them up and they cost 90 bucks! Would it be smarter buy inzer knee wraps and use them to wrap around the tendon itself? Similar to knee taping... but this way I will also have wraps lol. Or even wrapping my entire shin? lol
    you could get some tape or wraps and tie em tight as **** around your knee/shin. i would do it with both legs just so it evens out

I use the inzer knee wraps around my left leg (bad leg).. then when I go heavy enough to actually need the wraps I put the other one on. The wraps provide fantastic support and is really the reason I started squatting again..
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

My only worry is that I may keep aggravating by squatting in general with or without wraps. I want to keep squatting but I know that healing is very important. I ordered the wraps, 22 bucks. It will probably be the best 22 bucks I have ever spent on weightlifting!
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 07-25-2008 at 11:10 AM.

I dont know if what I have is patellar tendinitis... but rather shin splints?

The pain isnt directly under the knee cap but rather 1.5 inches under. Is this still patellar tendon stress?