Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Up Your Bench Press 30lbs in 30 days!

1. Follow the program exactly. It is only 30 days.

2. Any form of ab work will be fine.

3. What machines and apparatus DO you have access to?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    I don't have access to any machines we only have free weights at my school.
    But I can do the pull downs and push downs when I get home I guess
    Last edited by Brad Dep; 01-01-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Dep View Post
    I don't have access to any machines we only have free weights at my school.
    But I can do the pull downs and push downs when I get home I guess
    You could substitute curl grip chins and triceps kickbacks respectively. Yes, I said kickbacks. Why? Simple, they are a peak contraction oriented free weight movement and that somewhat mimics what you get from pushdowns which is the reason I have included them in the program.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    The program works! I went from doing 295 for a single to doing 315 for a single. Only 20 pounds but i'll take it! Just a few days ago after changing programs, I was able to do 315 for a double.
    Last edited by gymdogg21; 01-13-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Gymdogg21 has come a long way since starting this program. Im impressed everytime he trains chest!!

Quote Originally Posted by gymdogg21 View Post
    The program works! I went from doing 295 for a single to doing 315 for a single. Only 20 pounds but i'll take it! Just a few days ago after changing programs, I was able to do 315 for a double.
    That's awesome! 20 lbs in 30 days, not bad!

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Chris,

ROTC activity that I do forces me to run 3 days a week but also to do push ups and sit ups pretty much till failure 3 days a week as well. Would I still benefit from your program or do you think that would cross into over training? And if it would be acceptable, would you recommend shifting my lifting days to Tues/Thur/Sat so that I'm not doing ROTC stuff and lifting in the same day, or is it more beneficial to have one heavy day of exercise and then one full day of rest?

Thanks!

I think it would be best to wait until your ROTC training is over with to commence the program.

If you do decide to give it a run, do it as you suggested and let us know the results.

I think I may give it a go anyways in that case... I'll post an update when I'm done.

And off topic, but are you close to UVA?

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909 View Post
    I think I may give it a go anyways in that case... I'll post an update when I'm done.

And off topic, but are you close to UVA?

Yep, about 10 minutes away.

Sounds good. Let me know how it goes.

One more thing....

Should the reps be done as dynamically as possible (for bench)? Or should they be slower and controlled? Or am I over thinking this and it doesn't matter?

EDIT: I put together spreadsheets that automatically calculate your weights and give you somewhere to track your progress if you want them.

<150

155-295

300-395

400+
    Last edited by whiteman90909; 01-26-2009 at 03:11 PM.

I started this program tonight. I'm recording my progress and will let you guys know how it works for me.

Whiteman, awesome job on those spreadsheets!
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909 View Post
    One more thing....

Should the reps be done as dynamically as possible (for bench)? Or should they be slower and controlled? Or am I over thinking this and it doesn't matter?

EDIT: I put together spreadsheets that automatically calculate your weights and give you somewhere to track your progress if you want them.

<150

155-295

300-395

400+

Thanks for the spreadsheets!

Form should be controlled, but powerful.

Thanks, but I thought it was too much of a pain to have 4 different ones, so I spent a good while in the help section of excel and figured out how to get all of it on into one spreadsheet that changes how it does the calculations based on the numbers you put in. Someone might wanna double check the math, but I'm 99% sure it's good.

All in one 30lbs in 30 days spreadsheet
    Last edited by whiteman90909; 01-27-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Wannabebig New Member BarrelLifter's Avatar
    Decided to give this routine a try. Week 1 just finished. I'll keep with it for the full 30 days and if progress is made I'll keep at it for longer.

Wannabebig Member
    Its good timing since Im off of Creatine and all preworkouts right now. I will Start this program next week.

My question- what is the most recommended way to test max effort, if its around 250 lets say.
    2 Warm up sets-then straight to the weight?

Warm up- 215x4- then try the weight?

What do you guys recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by coltboostin View Post
    Its good timing since Im off of Creatine and all preworkouts right now. I will Start this program next week.

My question- what is the most recommended way to test max effort, if its around 250 lets say.
    2 Warm up sets-then straight to the weight?

Warm up- 215x4- then try the weight?

What do you guys recommend?

135 x 10
    185 x 3
    225 x 1
    250 x 1

I'm at the halfway point, and I'm really enjoying the workout so far. Can't wait to be finished though and test my max! I'm been trying to follow it pretty strict, so far, so good.

Chris, any more workouts like this planned in the future? Perhaps a boost your deadlift next. I need something to follow up with.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

I will have to get something done... I have been working on something, but hardly have the time to do so.

Chris

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    135 x 10
    185 x 3
    225 x 1
    250 x 1
    Thanks. I ended up tossing up 270 clean-no spot/no lift. 275 was there also, but I'll make 270 the benchmark. Weighted out at 155, around 6% BF. Do you think thats to low to see great gains? I ask because I see most power lifters, or even body builders in their "bulk" stage are at far higher BF percentage. Im on my second day of the workout-will be shooting for 3500ish calories a day.
    Last edited by coltboostin; 02-09-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coltboostin View Post
    Thanks. I ended up tossing up 270 clean-no spot/no lift. 275 was there also, but I'll make 270 the benchmark. Weighted out at 155, around 6% BF. Do you think thats to low to see great gains? I ask because I see most power lifters, or even body builders in their "bulk" stage are at far higher BF percentage. Im on my second day of the workout-will be shooting for 3500ish calories a day.
    No, not at all. In fact, you will probably respond really well to the high caloric intake and I am very interested to see how you do.

Chris

Wannabebig New Member
    Will the 30 day bench press work for females? I can only do a 75lb 1REP BP (don't laugh - we all have to start somewhere). What about calorie intake? What's recommended for a 145lb female?

Yes, it works just fine for women. Don't worry about being in aq caloric surplus if you are a woman unless you are trying to gain body weight.

Wannabebig Member
    Starting program today... I'm at about 230 Bench...

Wannabebig New Member
    Started today my 1MR currently is 240 and im hoping to get up there around 260 -270. Im going to stick to this and hope for the results
    Also i made the switch to Creatine 500 because a friend said it is very useful, before i was taking Creatine Monohydrate from GNC i felt as if i wasnt getting out what i could so i made the switch to Creatine 500 with Creapure. Thanks chris for the workout plan and in a few weeks ill update with the results.
    Last edited by Trigger605; 02-16-2009 at 12:58 PM.