The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger605 View Post
    Started today my 1MR currently is 240 and im hoping to get up there around 260 -270. Im going to stick to this and hope for the results
    Also i made the switch to Creatine 500 because a friend said it is very useful, before i was taking Creatine Monohydrate from GNC i felt as if i wasnt getting out what i could so i made the switch to Creatine 500 with Creapure. Thanks chris for the workout plan and in a few weeks ill update with the results.
    You're welcome!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Finished my first work out yesterday and I'm itching to get back in the Gym, I had been in there 5 days a week... I can't wait till tomorrow.....

Wannabebig New Member

Couple of Questions

Been doing a westside routine modified for raw lifting, but looking for a quick change for a bit as well as getting my benchpress up because it my weakest link. Going to be starting this program in the next day or 2, just had a thing or two to ask.
    First, can I substitute chin ups or reverse grip rows for lat pulldowns? work out at home sometimes and don't have a lat pulldown there.
    Second question, how often can this program be done in a year( or how long should you wait between doing a cycle of this template)?
    And actually one more question, can this template be modified for a squat/deadlift program?
    Last edited by Efilnikufesin; 02-19-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Yes, you can use chins if you don't have access to the pulldown apparatus.

I think you can safely/effectively do the program 3 times per year.

It can be modified, but the squat or dead would require different load patterns (percentages, reps etc.).

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I completed the program last week and it worked pretty well. I didn't follow the diet as stated, but even without the diet I gained an easy 10lbs on my bench and was like an inch away from 240. Great 4-week program!
    BW: 165lbs
    Bench: 235
    Squat: ??
    Deadlift: ??

Quote Originally Posted by rdearmond573 View Post
    I completed the program last week and it worked pretty well. I didn't follow the diet as stated, but even without the diet I gained an easy 10lbs on my bench and was like an inch away from 240. Great 4-week program!

Awesome!

Wannabebig New Member
    i want to give this a go but i'm also doing a lot of CV at the moment, i'm training for a triathlon so i do 1 swim, 2/3 runs, 2 cycles per week, combined with 2/3 gym sessions. how much of an effect will this have on the weight programme? also with the increased calorie intake - how much body fat will be put on?
    Last edited by cameron byrne; 02-22-2009 at 03:04 AM.

Cameron, very little. You simply cannot add that much body fat if intensely training with weights in a 30 day period.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm in mid week on the 2nd week and seems to be going well... I was just wondering if you've put anymore thought into a routine for when this one is over...

I went to Starr's 5 x 5, and it's been serving me really well.
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    I'm in mid week on the 2nd week and seems to be going well... I was just wondering if you've put anymore thought into a routine for when this one is over...
    I am working on a training article/manifesto now. It should be done in a week or so.

Wannabebig Member
    I have many questions concerning this workout program...

For the things that just say 2x10 i just pick any weight to do 2x10 times? and for failure i just pick any weight that i have trouble with on the 1th rep of both sets? and also i know im increasing weight for the bench do i increase weight by 10 pounds after every week for those also? my 1RM is 185 so i dumbells i would just use like a 40 pound do the 1x30 or like a burnout instead? something like that? ALso my current routine is

monday biceps/back/forearm
    tuesday calves/hams/quas
    wednesday chest/triceps/shoulder
    thursday same as monday
    friday same as tuesday
    saturday same as wednesday
    sunday day off

I am lookin to gain more mass and build muscle but also want to look real cut to see my chest/biceps/abs and etc so if i jump into this program that following monday would it also help my chest/abs/biceps looking more cut and bigger and lean as well. I noticed there arent any biceps/shoulder/forearms workouts could i just incorprorate these intomaybe tuesday/thursday/saturday? or wooult it effect my gains on the benc? thanks! for the program i currently am doing its been about 3 monthe and i went from a 155 1RM(dont laugh) to a 185 1RM(dont laugh)

Wannabebig New Member
    Question- It says 65% for first day x3 x3.

So if my max is 165 that would be benching 107.25 for 3 reps 3 times. That seems way to easy. Is that right or did i mix it up?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I am working on a training article/manifesto now. It should be done in a week or so.
    Sweet.... that should be close to the time that I'm done with this program...

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MmaTheron View Post
    Question- It says 65% for first day x3 x3.

So if my max is 165 that would be benching 107.25 for 3 reps 3 times. That seems way to easy. Is that right or did i mix it up?
    No that's right... it will seem easy in the beginning but stick with the program exactly as it's written...

Wannabebig Member
    Thankyou for the programme. I am 6 weeks into the 12 week programme that was made by Mike Wolfe on the site in the questions and answers section. After the programme I rest for a 1 week and then go for a new record. When do you think is a good time to start your programme once I have gone for a new personal record? Thankyou in advance.
    Last edited by n.die_beast; 02-27-2009 at 06:05 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n.die_beast View Post
    Thankyou for the programme. I am 6 weeks into the 12 week programme that was made by Mike Wolfe on the site in the questions and answers section. After the programme I rest for a 1 week and then go for a new record. When do you think is a good time to start your programme once I have gone for a new personal record? Thankyou in advance.
    Could you give me a link to that 12 week program please?

Quote Originally Posted by n.die_beast View Post
    You can start it more or less right away.

I lurk, therefore I am
    I've searched throughout the thread, but didn't find a solid enough answer...

After the last day of the program, how long would you say is appropriate to wait before attempting the new max?

Thanks in advance

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamnur View Post
    I've searched throughout the thread, but didn't find a solid enough answer...

After the last day of the program, how long would you say is appropriate to wait before attempting the new max?

Thanks in advance
    I would rest a week. Eat and sleep like a king. Then go for a new PR. This would make sure that your body is in its best working condition. This is just my opinion, not the definitive answer. Some people will suggest going for your new PR right after you have finished the programme itself.

4-5 days of rest is a solid period.

would the first week of this work as a deload ? i've been training hard for a while and am due for deloading but would like to get going with this routine so i can have time to peak for a meet. send me a pm plz

I lurk, therefore I am
    Great, thanks for the replies. Just for clarification, are we talking about a complete break from the gym or just from bench?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I am interested in this. I would like to see Chris develop his own powerlifting program, that is, if he has not already.

Quote Originally Posted by adamnur View Post
    Great, thanks for the replies. Just for clarification, are we talking about a complete break from the gym or just from bench?
    A complete break would be best.

Chris