Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Up Your Bench Press 30lbs in 30 days!

Wannabebig Member
    if i am trying a max of 190 what is a good warmup i should do?

Read the thread man, that question has been answered a ton of times.
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

Wannabebig Member
    Oh sorry, i still couldnt find it i found a warm up for a 250 max but not 190 but i hit 185 i put 190 as my 1rm though. i just started this workout today im doing a tuesday,thursday,saturday split ill let you know the results in 30 days!

Wannabebig Member
    I couldnt take it any longer for those that worry about there biceps not incorporated in this program i do this prorgram tuesday thursday saturday monday wednesday friday i do biceps so for those who worry about bicepps ill let you know my results after the 30 days

I lurk, therefore I am
    This was my second time trying the program. The first time I failed miserably but that's likely because I hadn't done any benching (only Db press) for ~6 weeks prior to using the program.

This time, I did a little better. Went into it with a max of 285, and tried for 315 today...then failed. Tried for 300 about 5 mins after...failed again. Then let myself cool off for a while, and finally was able to do a 1RM of 300 for the first time.

I was hoping for more, but I can't say I'm totally displeased. Chris Mason got me started lifting in the first place from a thread a couple years back with a program to gain 15lbs in a month which worked out greatly and kept me motivated.

This program of his has delivered once again, so Chris, I sincerely thank you.

Now I'm just waiting on your follow up routine to this one!
    Last edited by adamnur; 03-06-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    A little update-

5-8

155lbs

Abnormally long arms.

Week 4 for me, and I would have to say results are favorable.

Tested Max was 275. Today, I put up 265x3 for 2 sets comfortable, so I would have to say all systems are go for a 295 attempt next week. If thats clean, I'll go for 300.

Also, I have not been getting the recommended calorie count, simply because my busy schedule wont allow it. I also had to skip the 2nd Friday, due to illness.

Also, those worried about specific body parts should not worry. My Bi's are still peaky, my back is lumpy (as the girls say), and Legs look like they like the heavy sets!

I got a Max effort day together for my local Car forum next week, so we'll see how I do!
    Last edited by coltboostin; 03-09-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Colt and Adam, that is AWESOME! It really feels good to hear success stories like yours! I love it!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    On week 4 for me... I was able to do 225 before I started to I guess my max at 230. Last week I did my 2 x 220 x 2 with no issue and with out a spot. I can't wait till next Saturday when I try new max... I'll keep you updated... Great program...
    Last edited by nickster; 03-10-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    On week 4 for me... I was able to do 225 before I started to I guess my max at 230. Last week I did my 2 x 220 x 2 with no issue and with out a spot. I can't wait till next Saturday when I try new max... I'll keep you updated... Great program...
    That's awesome! Thanks!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coltboostin View Post
    Also, those worried about specific body parts should not worry. My Bi's are still peaky, my back is lumpy (as the girls say), and Legs look like they like the heavy sets!

I was worried about the same thing... but now pretty happy with where this is taking me...

I lurk, therefore I am
    So chris, any word on the follow up program you're working on?

Wannabebig Member
    I was worried about the same thing... but now pretty happy with where this is taking me...
    I head about how big my arms are every workout, and I have not done a curl in a month!

Going to go ahead and give this routine a shot. I have been benching 315 x 5 and have never gone for a max. wish me luck!
    5'10" 196lbs as of 6/10/11
    Best lifts B 365/ S 425/ DL 545/ OHP 200
    Goals: B 385+ S 450+ DL 600+ OHP 225+
    Progression Pics->http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122375
    Journal with vids/pics http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...07#post2364507

Wannabebig Member
    I just finished my last day today... I did 225 as my max before but thought I could do more so I est my max at 230 when I started this.

Well today was my last day and I did 2 x 230 x 2 with a little bit of effort... I'm going to hold off on working this week and try to max out again Saturday. My question is should I not do anything this week? Or would it be safe to do cardio say maybe 3 times during the week?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xtian View Post
    Going to go ahead and give this routine a shot. I have been benching 315 x 5 and have never gone for a max. wish me luck!

I'd really get your max before you started... It's going to help with the routine as a whole and will allow you to gauge more accurate how it worked for you..

You don't need to wait a full week. 4-5 days should be fine. No aerobic work during that time.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    You don't need to wait a full week. 4-5 days should be fine. No aerobic work during that time.
    Cool... I'll keep update you afterwards....

BP meet this week!!!

Gentlemen, I,m new to PL'ing and had a question about training before a meet. I,m in a BP competition sat. 3-21 and was wondering what, if any training I should do this week. Some say no training at all, others say go light, do reps @ 55% 1rm etc. etc....

Thanks for your input,
    Rob

The answer would depend upon what you did last week etc.

I trained hvy. last week going to 100% of my 1RM on the bench. I then did speed work on sat. w/ back & tri. work. BTW, I'm 42 yrs. old and everything was "raw". Havent steped up to the geared ranks yet!

Thanks Chris,
    Rob

Wannabebig Member
    So I just left the gym... I didn't really feel great this morning so I almost waited till tomorrow... So I haven't worked out since Saturday when I finished with my previous max of 230
    I got there and started to warm up... I got up to 185 and it felt really heavy so it didn't look promising... I started with 250 (that is what I was hoping to achive from this program) and pushed it up like it was almost nothing... Wow... I was really suprised so then I went to 260... bam got that with a little hold in the middle of pushing it up. I was so pumped by that I had to try one more time, put 270 on there and pushed it up...

So I started with a 230 max and finished with a 270 max... 40lbs... I did 225 before I started this program and felt like I left a little bit on the bar so I put 5 more pounds on my max...

Either way I'm really stoked to have a 270 max... Great program Chris...
    Last edited by nickster; 03-18-2009 at 07:31 AM.

So I just left the gym... I didn't really feel great this morning so I almost waited till tomorrow... So I haven't worked out since Saturday when I finished with my previous max of 230
    I got there and started to warm up... I got up to 185 and it felt really heavy so it didn't look promising... I started with 250 (that is what I was hoping to achive from this program) and pushed it up like it was almost nothing... Wow... I was really suprised so then I went to 260... bam got that with a little hold in the middle of pushing it up. I was so pumped by that I had to try one more time, put 270 on there and pushed it up...

So I started with a 230 max and finished with a 270 max... 40lbs... I didn't 225 before I started this program and felt like I left a little bit on the bar so I put 5 more pounds on my max...

Either way I'm really stoked to have a 270 max... Great program Chris...
    That is awesome! Great work!

So what do ya' think chris about my previous question?

To work out this week or not to work out, that is the question...

Thx.
    Rob

Wannabebig Member
    Oh and BTW my chest and biceps are huge...

I'm trying out this program and what you said about wanting to do more the first week was so very right. I like doing more during my workout and lifting more than 3 days a week. I'm excited to see what this program can do for me. My bench has always been my weakest point in my opinion so I have big hopes for this program. Could I do the program twice in a row and increase another 30 or should I do other work for a while then come back to it?
    - Ryan