Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Up Your Bench Press 30lbs in 30 days!

Working hard to get big
    Just started this program last week . .really excited to see the results as my bench is really weak.

Just a quick question though . . .

Can I do chin ups in place of the lat pulldowns? (I workout at home and don't have a pull down machine)

Also, is there any room in the program for a couple sets of one arm db rows?

I know the answer is do whatever you want . .but I want to see maximal results from the program so I'd like to know if either of those items will decrease the results I may see from the program.

Quote Originally Posted by ericpad View Post
    Just started this program last week . .really excited to see the results as my bench is really weak.

Just a quick question though . . .

Can I do chin ups in place of the lat pulldowns? (I workout at home and don't have a pull down machine)

Also, is there any room in the program for a couple sets of one arm db rows?

I know the answer is do whatever you want . .but I want to see maximal results from the program so I'd like to know if either of those items will decrease the results I may see from the program.
    If you don't have access to a pulldown machine then chins are an acceptable substitute. Just do the chins to concentric failure and don't worry about the rep count unless you can do more than the prescribed number of reps. In that case, do weighted chins.

Do not add the dumbbell rows.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    great article thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bkim33 View Post
    great article thanks!
    You're welcome.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    was a good read thanks.

I am undertaking this for 30 days and we'll see. I've neglected alot of muscles in my workouts lately and this seems like a good way to get them back on track as well as upping my 1RM bench.

I'll check back in 30 days with results...
    GOALS:
    Current Weight 242 4/16/10
    Bench - 275 current / 315 Goal
    Squat - 225 / 285* Goal
    Deadlift - 325 current / 365* Goal
    *Note: Herniated L5/S1 disk since 2001, almost bone on bone.
    ***Journal***

Quote Originally Posted by Commute View Post
    I am undertaking this for 30 days and we'll see. I've neglected alot of muscles in my workouts lately and this seems like a good way to get them back on track as well as upping my 1RM bench.

I'll check back in 30 days with results...
    Excellent!

Wannabebig Member
    Chris,

How would you structure this routine if you only had four days to workout during the week 2 consective days ( WED,THU SAT,SUN) ? Should I do the 65% day and the 75% day back to back ( WED,THU) or should I just rotate the 3 workouts over the week getting a couple of extra days rest and maybe add another set to the BP: Wed 65%, Sat 75%, Wed 85%, Sat 65% ?

My Son followed this routine pretty much to the T a couple of weeks after HS football Season ended and he added 35LBs. It Works !

Thanks,

Frank

First, great job by your son!

I would do the 65/75 back to back like you proposed.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    First, great job by your son!

I would do the 65/75 back to back like you proposed.
    So if I did the WED (65) and Thur (75) would you suggest one days rest and then the 85% (Sat ) or take 2 days rest and do 85 on Sunday ?

Thanks,

Frank

Do the heavy work Sat. You will need more rest after the heavy work.

Wannabebig Member
    Okay, Thanks. I will probably do little "grease the groove" this Wednesday and Max on Saturday and then start the 4 week routine next week.

Appreciate your quick response !

It works, check out my journal!!!
    GOALS:
    Squat - 225 / 285* Goal
    ***Journal***

Wannabebig New Member
    Started this routine last Monday. A little background.... I took about 7 years off from the gym and started back last November. I was down to 168 lbs body weight , normal for me is 180, under alot of stress and needed a change in my life. Well, my first day back I hit the bench. (My previous best in college was 305 at around 185 lbs body weight. I never could get 315, which was so frustrating.) On that day I could only do 4 reps at 185. I decided then and there I was going to hit this hard and get to 3 plates (since it had eluded me in the past) before my 30th b-day in late Feb. What I found was that regaining strength is a heck of a lot easier than building it up in the first place. My bench sky rocketed (as have my other lifts). I was getting stronger at every workout. Two weeks before my deadline I reached my goal, 315 on the bench. Ever since then progress has been really slow. My current max is 325 and my body weight last Monday when I started this routine was 208. I've been on a "mild" bulk, 3500 daily calorie daily goal, since Novemember. I'm hoping this routine will help me bust through my plateau. So far I'm following the routine to the letter, except I'm not using the exact supplements listed. However, I am getting the recommended amount of calories, which I think is the hardest part so far. I'm definitely hating food right now.

I'll report back at the end of the 4 weeks so that others can learn from my experience. One question I have now is if I experience the gains this routine is supposed to produce what should I do next to retain the strength gains after I reduce my calorie intake back to normal levels? I didn't read through the entire thread so sorry if a similar question has already been asked.

I look forward to your results.

After the program give our newly released HCT-12 program a run. Access is free and on this site.

Wannabebig Member
    Can I replace skullcrushers with something else since they make my elbows hurt? If so, what can I replace them with?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen46 View Post
    Can I replace skullcrushers with something else since they make my elbows hurt? If so, what can I replace them with?
    What exercises don't make your elbows hurt?

Wannabebig Member
    rolling triceps extensions are a little easier on my shoulders. Tri pushdowns dont hurt my triceps at all

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Started this routine last Monday. A little background.... I took about 7 years off from the gym and started back last November. I was down to 168 lbs body weight , normal for me is 180, under alot of stress and needed a change in my life. Well, my first day back I hit the bench. (My previous best in college was 305 at around 185 lbs body weight. I never could get 315, which was so frustrating.) On that day I could only do 4 reps at 185. I decided then and there I was going to hit this hard and get to 3 plates (since it had eluded me in the past) before my 30th b-day in late Feb. What I found was that regaining strength is a heck of a lot easier than building it up in the first place. My bench sky rocketed (as have my other lifts). I was getting stronger at every workout. Two weeks before my deadline I reached my goal, 315 on the bench. Ever since then progress has been really slow. My current max is 325 and my body weight last Monday when I started this routine was 208. I've been on a "mild" bulk, 3500 daily calorie daily goal, since Novemember. I'm hoping this routine will help me bust through my plateau. So far I'm following the routine to the letter, except I'm not using the exact supplements listed. However, I am getting the recommended amount of calories, which I think is the hardest part so far. I'm definitely hating food right now.

I'll report back at the end of the 4 weeks so that others can learn from my experience. One question I have now is if I experience the gains this routine is supposed to produce what should I do next to retain the strength gains after I reduce my calorie intake back to normal levels? I didn't read through the entire thread so sorry if a similar question has already been asked.
    You are going to love this routine, worked great for me as long as you stay true to it... especially your diet.
    GOALS:
    Squat - 225 / 285* Goal
    ***Journal***

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen46 View Post
    rolling triceps extensions are a little easier on my shoulders. Tri pushdowns dont hurt my triceps at all
    Use the rolling extensions.

Wannabebig New Member
    Update:

I finished this routine yesterday. Overall I averaged 22.5 calories per lb of my starting weight per day over the period, so I missed the 25 cal/lb target by a little bit. I also included weighted dips in the routine on a couple of the Friday workouts. I will be unable to workout for a couple weeks due to personal reasons so I attempted a new max bench press instead of completing the very last workout. Results......My new max is 345 and my current weight is 212 lb. That is a 20 lb increase and only 4 extra lbs of body weight (although I did weigh 215 last Wednesday and only hit about half of the calorie goal on Wed, Thur, & Frid. I've been terribly busy).

Overall I'm really happy with the results. A big thanks from me goes out to the author. I didn't get the 30 lb increase I was hoping for on my bench, but it definitely helped me get out of the rut I was stuck in. I was concerned I was going to gain considerably more unwanted weight than I wanted, but that wasn't the case for me. I put on about 5 lbs that first week, but it leveled out after that.
    Last edited by Jay R; 05-29-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Good job Jay!

Wannabebig New Member
    This program is supreme and works like a dream! Thanks!

I went from 220lbs to 242lbs. Finished the program in 4,5 weeks as missed couple of scheduled sessions and therefore postponed them. My bodyweight went up by 4lbs during the program so not bad progress at all

Edit: Forgot to say about nutrition.

I did not use any suplementation at all during the program. Nutrition was calculated to match my current maintenance level according to "To Bulk or to Cut article" found on this website. I ate roughly 2200kcal and 200grams/protein every day.
    Last edited by azo; 06-07-2010 at 07:58 AM.

Great job Azo!

Ok going to give this routine a go in 2 weeks time.Sorry, I'm used to working in kgs.
    My bench is really weak(72kg for 3).
    Just need the figures confirmed for me.
    This put my 1RM at 78kg(172lbs) according to the calculator.
    This means I can add 10lbs(4.5kg) each workout.This seems alot.
    Should I be more conservative if you are at the lower end of the add10lbs bracket.