Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Up Your Bench Press 30lbs in 30 days!

Wannabebig Member
    I weigh 121 (yes i know , time to bulk) and best bench was 255. Then one day I got a serious toothache and since then, everything has gone haywire. Bench workouts have been going nowhere.

Thus I turned to this program for help. Now I am on week 3, just finished 2nd workout of this week. Still feels good. Only started serious eating from end of week 2 till now though. I am hoping for 275 in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by alert20 View Post
    Ok going to give this routine a go in 2 weeks time.Sorry, I'm used to working in kgs.
    My bench is really weak(72kg for 3).
    Just need the figures confirmed for me.
    This put my 1RM at 78kg(172lbs) according to the calculator.
    This means I can add 10lbs(4.5kg) each workout.This seems alot.
    Should I be more conservative if you are at the lower end of the add10lbs bracket.
    Be sure to read the PDF and follow the loading schedule exactly as prescribed.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Bench View Post
    I weigh 121 (yes i know , time to bulk) and best bench was 255. Then one day I got a serious toothache and since then, everything has gone haywire. Bench workouts have been going nowhere.

Thus I turned to this program for help. Now I am on week 3, just finished 2nd workout of this week. Still feels good. Only started serious eating from end of week 2 till now though. I am hoping for 275 in the end.
    Remember to test you 1RM max prior to this program. Don't rely on a max you did some time ago.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Chris, right before this program I bench pressed 250 for a 3 second grinder. 255 would have gone up but did not (I think it was more mental than physical capability by that point), so I put 255 as max because 2 months earlier, I did 255 singles for 2 sets. Reasonable?

Oh, by the way I finished the last day of 3rd week. It was 235X2X2. Man, were those reps difficult. I was almost doing my 2 rep max. Not sure if it is normal? I must say something though, I have always been bad at repping, meaning that when I benched 255, I could almost certainly not be able to do 240X2. That is how bad my repping capability is. Hopefully that explains the difficulty level of today?

Today something made me feel good: the high rep dumbbell presses. Supposed to be 30 but I just cranked out 43, total failure as prescribed.

Cheers Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bench View Post
    Hey Chris, right before this program I bench pressed 250 for a 3 second grinder. 255 would have gone up but did not (I think it was more mental than physical capability by that point), so I put 255 as max because 2 months earlier, I did 255 singles for 2 sets. Reasonable?

Oh, by the way I finished the last day of 3rd week. It was 235X2X2. Man, were those reps difficult. I was almost doing my 2 rep max. Not sure if it is normal? I must say something though, I have always been bad at repping, meaning that when I benched 255, I could almost certainly not be able to do 240X2. That is how bad my repping capability is. Hopefully that explains the difficulty level of today?

Today something made me feel good: the high rep dumbbell presses. Supposed to be 30 but I just cranked out 43, total failure as prescribed.

Cheers Chris.
    That's a tough call. My best guess is that it indicates you used too high of a 1RM. With that said, focus on recovery (extra sleep, be sure to consume plenty of calories, perhaps a massage etc.) for the next several days and you should be fine.

Wannabebig New Member
    I managed to break the 105kg barrier with the help of this wonderful Programm(now: 115).

Thank you Mr. Mason!

...now how about "Up Your Overhead Press" ?

You're welcome Cool! Perhaps in the near future .

Wannabebig Member
    hey Chris!!! i have been reading these message boards for a while here an thoroughly read through the 30lb in 30 days program .. so last night i started it here is a link for you and everyone else to see my progress i cant wait for the 30 days to be up i have been making very little progress

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rogram-tonight
    Last edited by prop; 09-22-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Awesome! Please follow the program exactly.

Wannabebig Member
    i will im about to go to the gym and do workout 2 for week 1 ill post it on my log

Excellent!

Wannabebig Member
    check out my progress chris if u get a chance

Looks good! Keep up the good work.

I had success with this program about a year ago (added around 25 lbs to my bench). I've just finished doing 4 cycles of 5/3/1 since April and I was thinking about trying it again now that I'm going to start bulking again. I'm actually kind of content with my bench press numbers though. I don't aspire to lift 400+ lbs on bench or anything. I would like to be able to Military Press 225 though (my max is 180 right now). So I'm going to start doing the Up Your Bench 30 lbs in 30 days routine next week but I'm going to swap the Bench each day with Military Press and the 30+ rep DB Bench on Day 3 with 30+ rep DB Seated Overhead Press. To still get in a little chest work over the next month while I'm doing this I'm swapping out the skull crushers on Day 1 and 3 with Dips since that will still hit my triceps but also give me a little chest work and on Day 2 I'm going to alternate Deadlift with Bench every other week. I have no idea if anyone has tried this before, but I figure it's only 30 days so it's worth giving a shot. Even if I just add 10-15 lbs to my Military Press I'll be satisfied. I'll report back in a month on how it went.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkgivens View Post
    Good write up, might give the routine a try. One beef tho. If it can be done drug free don't fill the article with pics of pro p.lifters who use drugs.
    Maybe I just didn't fully understand the memo in the program outline but I don't understand how this will really help my bench. My current benching routine is 3 sets of 5 reps with 175, supersetting the bench with my other exercises. To me that seems to be a better workout then the 2 or 3 sets with 2 or 3 reps. Not that I am questioning you at all, I am probably just missing something about working up to a certain weight or something.

To the guys that's tried this routine,

I know this routine is awesome for strength gains. I was wondering if any of you noticed a size increase as a result?

Hey Chris,

In the article that outlines the program it states the Bench Press work load for week one is...

Monday

•Bench Press - 3 x 65% x 3 reps

Then a few pages later it says that a person benching inbetween 155-295lbs should increase the load by 10 lbs per set. So should I be doing three sets at 65%, or 1 set at 65% and then adding 10 lbs each additional set.

My 1RM is 205.

Example A ( three sets at 65% )

Bench press- 3 x 135 x 3

Example B

Bench Press- 3 x 135.....3 x 145.....3 x 155 ( 1 set at 65% with a 10 lb increase each set.)

The increments are for the NEXT week's session, not the same session.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    The increments are for the NEXT week's session, not the same session.

Okay, thanks man

Wannabebig Member
    my elbows r starting to hurt from the skullcrushers

Wannabebig New Member
    I just started this program today. My only issues are : will this give me mass and strength? Why are there no shoulder exercises? why are there no biscept exercises? thanks

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kovic View Post
    I just started this program today. My only issues are : will this give me mass and strength? Why are there no shoulder exercises? why are there no biscept exercises? thanks
    well no shoulder exercise because with benching 3 time a week ure gona use alot of front delts so training delts soley would actually lead to overtrain as far as biceps he has you doin curl grip pulldowns believe it or not thos hit ure biceps pretty good

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prop View Post
    well no shoulder exercise because with benching 3 time a week ure gona use alot of front delts so training delts soley would actually lead to overtrain as far as biceps he has you doin curl grip pulldowns believe it or not thos hit ure biceps pretty good
    Awesome, thanks for the answer prop. Now this routine is alot of bench, and i have a slight pec imbalance, left being larger and stronger than right, if i make sure 100% that my form is good on bench, do you think this routine is safe.

Kovic,

Everyone has imbalances like that. The answer is yes.

Wannabebig New Member
    Chris, i have read most of these threads, and it sounds very promising. I am yet still skeptical. This is only because i feel as if im already lifting weight that my body will allow, i feel like im already pushing the limits. I weigh 170, and bench 305. Whenever i get it i realy dont know how, i feel skinny, my arms are just shy of 15 in. I dont understand how i bench that weight, and everytime i get it i feel its just a fluke. Im trying to make it understandable how i feel. its like my body shouldnt be able to handle it, like i max out on 305, but i dont feel good because i dont even look like i can bench 250. I get stronger....very slowly, but i just dont gain weight. My muscle size stays, but they get stronger. I dont realy know whats goin on, but do you think i will still be able to get results with this unique program? thanks man. Edit: wieghts between 280 and 305 i can only get once.
    Last edited by kovic; 10-11-2010 at 08:47 PM.