Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
Results 526 to 550 of 573

Thread: Up Your Bench Press 30lbs in 30 days!

  1. #526
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,661
    If you eat like a prescribe I think you will gain size as well. It's only 30 days, give it a go.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  2. #527
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by decroo21 View Post
    Ok and will the M: 3x3, W: 2x3, and F: 2x2 format stay the same for all four weeks?
    Chris will surely answer your question better than I will, but don't alter the program at all. It is designed to increase your bench press. Doing things like DE and ME lower body days will take away from the integrity of the program, and you will not see the desired results. It will not be taxing on you at all to do the prescribed sets and reps. You will just be maintaining in those lower body lifts during this month, making minimal increases if that. Guys who have these questions, re-read the article. This is a very simple, effective program to follow if done correctly.

  3. #528
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    13

    Runner

    I'm a runner and weigh 145. My 1rm is at 210 right now. I need to be at 225 Jan 7th. I haven't been able to increase my 1rm since about 2 months ago. I've been doing a routine that includes 5 sets of 5 reps flat bench once per week. Im excited to try this program. My question is I can't stop running due to competing in races. Will this be a huge hinderance in progress? Also I don't want to gain too much weight by eating 3000+ calories since more body weight = slower race times. Its November 14th right now. Will it be possible to reach 225 1rm by Jan 7th without all the extra calories and just following the training routine?

    Scott

  4. #529
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,661
    Scott, you won't max out the benefits of the program, but I think it will still help you. Skip the diet and keep running and follow it and see how things go.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  5. #530
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Provo, UT
    Posts
    1
    I was wondering if I should do anything on Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday? or should I just take it easy and rest on those days?

  6. #531
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Provo, UT
    Posts
    1
    I think I'm going to do yoga? Is that ok?

  7. #532
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2

    Altering days

    Workout calls for 3 day a week M,W,F ,can it be changed to twice a week or every 4 to 5 days?

  8. #533
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,661
    Quote Originally Posted by wignoadjones View Post
    I think I'm going to do yoga? Is that ok?
    Depends on the kind of yoga. As I asked the other fellow, can you not wait 30 days to start the yoga?


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  9. #534
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Chris, I have a ballpark idea what my max is but do not know exactly what it is. I was doing 5/3/1 for the last 6 months and my input weight for that program is 315 pounds. I am *pretty* sure I can hit 315 now for a single if I was 100% fresh and had a week of deloading before hand. Can I start this program with the 315 input without taking my max? My goal is to be able to comfortably hit 315 for a single. I needed a break from the monotonous 5/3/1, so I am taking a month off to do this program again. Had good gains with it last time I did it.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 12-06-2010 at 08:47 AM.

  10. #535
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3
    I think it is possible if one makes only this work out and noting more during 30 days

  11. #536
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,661
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Chris, I have a ballpark idea what my max is but do not know exactly what it is. I was doing 5/3/1 for the last 6 months and my input weight for that program is 315 pounds. I am *pretty* sure I can hit 315 now for a single if I was 100% fresh and had a week of deloading before hand. Can I start this program with the 315 input without taking my max? My goal is to be able to comfortably hit 315 for a single. I needed a break from the monotonous 5/3/1, so I am taking a month off to do this program again. Had good gains with it last time I did it.
    Just do a max the next time you train chest. It is very easy. No need to use guesswork and what you might do if you deload etc.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  12. #537
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Scott, you won't max out the benefits of the program, but I think it will still help you. Skip the diet and keep running and follow it and see how things go.
    OK. So I did this program without the diet part and my bench went up 25 lbs! I'm going to give it another go for a month. For those of you who think it seems to easy, don't worry...it works without modification. I thought the same thing.

    Thanks for the kick arse program!!

  13. #538
    2008 World Champs! SMK41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Diego (PB)
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by SMK41 View Post
    I had success with this program about a year ago (added around 25 lbs to my bench). I've just finished doing 4 cycles of 5/3/1 since April and I was thinking about trying it again now that I'm going to start bulking again. I'm actually kind of content with my bench press numbers though. I don't aspire to lift 400+ lbs on bench or anything. I would like to be able to Military Press 225 though (my max is 180 right now). So I'm going to start doing the Up Your Bench 30 lbs in 30 days routine next week but I'm going to swap the Bench each day with Military Press and the 30+ rep DB Bench on Day 3 with 30+ rep DB Seated Overhead Press. To still get in a little chest work over the next month while I'm doing this I'm swapping out the skull crushers on Day 1 and 3 with Dips since that will still hit my triceps but also give me a little chest work and on Day 2 I'm going to alternate Deadlift with Bench every other week. I have no idea if anyone has tried this before, but I figure it's only 30 days so it's worth giving a shot. Even if I just add 10-15 lbs to my Military Press I'll be satisfied. I'll report back in a month on how it went.
    I just wanted to post an update on how this went. My standing Military Press was at 180x1 in the beginning of October. I ran the modified version of 30 lbs in 30 days bench program I outlined in my previous post. My MP went up to 195x1. I decided to run it for one more 30 day cycle and I hit 205x1! Now I'm going to switch back 5/3/1 for the next few months. I attribute the success of this program to doing bench or in my case MP frequently with heavy weights as well as supplying a lot of tricep work. With MP once the bar gets to my forehead the rest of the lift is easy b/c my triceps are so strong. I never have lockout issues.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

  14. #539

  15. #540
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Skullcrushers.... Is there anything I could replace skullcrushers with? They hurt my elbows pretty bad every time I do them.
    Try high rep skulls with lighter weight...15+ reps. Thats what I did and it worked great.

  16. #541
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Just do a max the next time you train chest. It is very easy. No need to use guesswork and what you might do if you deload etc.
    Did the program and went from 300 to 320 pounds...maybe it woulda been more if I used a real max but I was happy with the results.

  17. #542
    Father of Three Bosch232's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    677
    I wanted very much to try this program in December, but my shoulder injury is killing my pressing movements..





    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

  18. #543
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    29
    Hey Chris,
    Great testimonials. I've just taken a 4 week break from lifting (Navy stationed in Japan and it was the last month b4 the wife had to go back to the States), and this Monday will be day 1 again. I'm sure that my max bp (295) wouldn't have changed much, but muscular endurance might be an issue right now considering the time off. I was stuck at 295 for like 3-4months and my goal is 315 (not for competition, just personal) so 20lbs should definitely be attainable. I'm really curious to see the results.
    Couple of questions:
    1) Should I take a week or 2 to get back into my lifts and then start, or just go and test my 1rep max and get started?
    2) As for the supplements, the program recommends MASS STACK which is great considering I'm going to bulk for about 3mo, but it also mentions Results. Does Opticen replace Nitrean? Which products do you recommend from your line: I currently take Megamen sport vita pack multi, Amplified Wheybolic Xtreme Protein, L-glutamine, Creatine , and glucosamine because of my knee injury. What should I replace?
    3) Can I implement cardio in order to control the BF% increase or would it interfere?
    Last edited by nhernan1986; 01-27-2011 at 01:24 PM.

  19. #544
    Wannabebig New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1
    i read this entire thread and im going to give it a go since only 1 or 2 people seem to have had less than awesome results. i've plateaued (or at least slowed to a snails pace) at 175 lbs x 5 reps. estimating my 1RM at 200 lbs. shooting for 2 plates on each side. bodyweight: 175.

    no one seems to care that there's no trap work in this program. shucks, i'll miss it.

    will post results early in march
    Last edited by mychaelkyng; 01-28-2011 at 03:59 PM.

  20. #545
    Father of Three Bosch232's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    677
    Looking forward to seeing your results. Don't waver from the program.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

  21. #546
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Quote Originally Posted by mychaelkyng View Post
    i read this entire thread and im going to give it a go since only 1 or 2 people seem to have had less than awesome results. i've plateaued (or at least slowed to a snails pace) at 175 lbs x 5 reps. estimating my 1RM at 200 lbs. shooting for 2 plates on each side. bodyweight: 175.

    no one seems to care that there's no trap work in this program. shucks, i'll miss it.

    will post results early in march
    There is trap work...it's called deadlifting.

  22. #547
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,661
    Great to see all the nice results!


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  23. #548
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,661
    Quote Originally Posted by nhernan1986 View Post
    Hey Chris,
    Great testimonials. I've just taken a 4 week break from lifting (Navy stationed in Japan and it was the last month b4 the wife had to go back to the States), and this Monday will be day 1 again. I'm sure that my max bp (295) wouldn't have changed much, but muscular endurance might be an issue right now considering the time off. I was stuck at 295 for like 3-4months and my goal is 315 (not for competition, just personal) so 20lbs should definitely be attainable. I'm really curious to see the results.
    Couple of questions:
    1) Should I take a week or 2 to get back into my lifts and then start, or just go and test my 1rep max and get started?
    2) As for the supplements, the program recommends MASS STACK which is great considering I'm going to bulk for about 3mo, but it also mentions Results. Does Opticen replace Nitrean? Which products do you recommend from your line: I currently take Megamen sport vita pack multi, Amplified Wheybolic Xtreme Protein, L-glutamine, Creatine , and glucosamine because of my knee injury. What should I replace?
    3) Can I implement cardio in order to control the BF% increase or would it interfere?
    Yes, I think giving yourself a few weeks of training to get back into the groove is a good idea.

    Opticen and MAXIMUS replace Nitrean (if you want to put it that way) as the protein supplements of choice.

    Actually, I think I answered this via email?


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  24. #549
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    40

    A few questions

    1) What is the recommended lifting cadence for this program ; how about 1 sec up and 2 down - like the guy in the video?
    (I assume the RM must be based on the same lifting cadence for the program)

    2) what are the recommended rest periods between lifts?

    3) As I am 57yrs old possibly 25 cals a pound is too much - so what do you recommend?

    4) Is there any cardio in this program?

    Thank you

  25. #550
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Yes, I think giving yourself a few weeks of training to get back into the groove is a good idea.

    Opticen and MAXIMUS replace Nitrean (if you want to put it that way) as the protein supplements of choice.

    Actually, I think I answered this via email?
    Yea, I posted this before I sent that email out lol. Although the email didn't have Q1 so I appreciate the follow up! Ill post results as they come.

Similar Threads

  1. Training Log
    By aka23 in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 4024
    Last Post: 02-05-2012, 04:32 PM
  2. A Soldiers PT Journal
    By NeroTheWarlord in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 04:56 AM
  3. The bench Press
    By Reinier in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 04:39 PM
  4. my bench is horrible
    By jtteg_x in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 12:44 PM
  5. The Bench Press
    By Adam in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 11:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •