Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Up Your Bench Press 30lbs in 30 days!

Quote Originally Posted by gelong View Post
    1) What is the recommended lifting cadence for this program ; how about 1 sec up and 2 down - like the guy in the video?
    (I assume the RM must be based on the same lifting cadence for the program)

2) what are the recommended rest periods between lifts?

3) As I am 57yrs old possibly 25 cals a pound is too much - so what do you recommend?

4) Is there any cardio in this program?

Thank you
    Not trying to be mean, but did you read the entire article?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    well i have read the article and as there is no mention of cardio i assume trainees should not do it..

As rest periods in strength routines can be up to 5 mins I assume the rests between the bench presses can be that long - otherwise possibly 90 secs would be OK for the other lifts.

There is mention of diet for older lifts - to eat healthy and I assume a little over maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by gelong View Post
    well i have read the article and as there is no mention of cardio i assume trainees should not do it..

As rest periods in strength routines can be up to 5 mins I assume the rests between the bench presses can be that long - otherwise possibly 90 secs would be OK for the other lifts.

There is mention of diet for older lifts - to eat healthy and I assume a little over maintenance.
    No cardio for the 30 days.

I don't specifically address rest periods because I am not asking the trainee to do anything unusual. Rest sufficiently that you feel you can give your all on the next set for your heavy work and use shorter rest periods for accessory work and smaller body parts.

For an older lifter I would make any real dietary changes unless one is on a hypo-caloric diet.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    i tried this program but i think i pushed way too hard on the squats and dealifts and overtrained my CNS thats why i didnt gain as much now my question is if my dealift is 405x3 and my squat is 405x4 both to failure ... how much weight should i use in the program for each lift? 225-275??

Quote Originally Posted by prop View Post
    i tried this program but i think i pushed way too hard on the squats and dealifts and overtrained my CNS thats why i didnt gain as much now my question is if my dealift is 405x3 and my squat is 405x4 both to failure ... how much weight should i use in the program for each lift? 225-275??

Your question makes no sense to me. It is a bench program with limited volume for the balance of the body.

Quote Originally Posted by sociable1231 View Post
    Definitely lay off cardio, or minimize it. This program can work, but most important thing is to make sure you are progressive overloading your muscles. If not, REST for a day or two more!
    No. Do the exact program as presented.

I think this fellow is confusing my program with something else.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Your question makes no sense to me. It is a bench program with limited volume for the balance of the body.
    well i was talking to a guy that is a big fan of this program and he said that the squats and deadlifts should be light and not even close to as heavy as usual

Again, do the program exactly as recommended. I think I might know a touch more about it considering I wrote it...

Again, do the program exactly as recommended. I think I might know a touch more about it considering I wrote it...
    I just finished my third week of the program. The first two weeks I was taking a good pause on the chest, getting ready for an upcoming meet. This week I did the same on Mon and Wed, but today was a bit more difficult and I couldn't pause as long without fear of missing the lift. My question is, should I worry about the pause in the remainder of the program or should I just do the lifts with good form and touch and go?
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Best RAW lifts squat 385- bench 400x2 reps- DL 395
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505

Quote Originally Posted by shocker4221 View Post
    I just finished my third week of the program. The first two weeks I was taking a good pause on the chest, getting ready for an upcoming meet. This week I did the same on Mon and Wed, but today was a bit more difficult and I couldn't pause as long without fear of missing the lift. My question is, should I worry about the pause in the remainder of the program or should I just do the lifts with good form and touch and go?
    Did you base the program off a paused or touch and go max?

Banned
    Good question shocker, I am sure Chris will chime in but I would say if you are pausing the reps, then your input max should have been based off a paused max, not a touch and go max.

Started the program today. Excited to see what I can gain, I'll keep my Journal updated! Thanks Chris
    MINNESOTA

PR's @ 169-170, 5'10
    Squat- 1x315
    DL- 1x330
    Bench 2x235
    Total- 880

Goal- Ideal Weight 180, and Total Raw Weight- 1000

Wannabebig New Member
    I just read all 23 pages of this thread and the program looks promising from what the majority has stated.
    Looking forward to starting this...probably in about a week or so as I'm just getting off of a Westside routine and will need to take a breather.

I'm new here, and was looking for the "New Members" forum to do an intro, but I can't find it...huh?
    Some directions would be appreciated if the forum is within another forum.

Thanks!

Did you base the program off a paused or touch and go max?
    After thinking about it and reading your response, I kinda answered my own question. I actually based my weights on touch and go numbers but when I started the program I was actually doing paused reps. Well since my last post I have finished the program with good results. Though I didn't take part in the suggested diet because of weight concerns coming up to a meet, I was able to make great increases to my bench. When I started the program my PR was 385 and I was stuck there for a long time. I actually based my numbers on a PR of 400 so the increases each week were more. On the final day of week 4 my numbers were supposed to be 395 for 2 sets of 2. After doing the first set with no problem, my buddy put on an extra 5 lbs making it 400 and I was able to press it out for 2 reps. As far as exactly how much my PR went up I can not say but as formulas go, my best should be around 415-420 based off of a 400 x 2 reps. Thanks for this program, I completely plan on doing it again in the future.
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505

Awesome Shocker!

I am training for a raw meet at the end of August and was wondering if I should try this program again so soon? If so then when would be the optimum time to end the program prior to the meet? One friend suggested that I end the program so that the final day of lifting would be on the meet day. I understand his thinking because I would be at the peak of the program, but was a bit concerned over not deloading the week leading up to the meet. Any help is appreciated.
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505

Is this a complete program? All they recommend is 2 sets of squats, and 2 sets of deadlifts the whole week?

Quote Originally Posted by eddie500 View Post
    Is this a complete program? All they recommend is 2 sets of squats, and 2 sets of deadlifts the whole week?
    Like he said, it's a BENCH program, but squats and deadlifts are included for balance of the body.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Eddie, it is a 30 day SPECIALIZATION program for the bench press. The balance of exercises will maintain and in some cases even build the non-bench portions of the body.

I am training for a raw meet at the end of August and was wondering if I should try this program again so soon? If so then when would be the optimum time to end the program prior to the meet? One friend suggested that I end the program so that the final day of lifting would be on the meet day. I understand his thinking because I would be at the peak of the program, but was a bit concerned over not deloading the week leading up to the meet. Any help is appreciated.
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505

Shocker, the best time would be to end it one week prior to the meet and then take it easy for that week to allow for a delayed transformation.

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    So with 5 months away from the gym, and as this being the first week since the hiatus...I cleanly benched 185 for reps (with my old max at 225)

I'm not on this program (I should be), but thought that was pretty cool for the time away I had. LOOKIN TO MAKE NEW PRs!
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Shocker, the best time would be to end it one week prior to the meet and then take it easy for that week to allow for a delayed transformation.
    Thanks for the response Chris.
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505