Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Up Your Bench Press 30lbs in 30 days!

Quote Originally Posted by ms3jake View Post
    What the rest periods be between the bench press(working sets) and assistant moves (working sets)??? I am used to doing 5 min rest on heavy working bench sets and 2-3 min on other excercises, but I would like to do this program exact for the next 4 weeks.
    I don't have an exact time, but 5 minutes is not necessary. I would say 1-3 minutes depending upon how you feel.

Do me a favor and make sure to not only do the exact program, eat the prescribed # of calories and take the suggest supps (or something similar) as well. If you do, you will be VERY happy!

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by sandcracker21 View Post
    this is probably a stupid question.....but i am going to try this workout next week and was wondering what 2 X 10 to failure means?

is it two sets of 10 and you are aiming to be near or at failure at the 10th rep?

also, it says stop 2 reps short of failure for each exercise, but then whats the point of listing an exercise as 2X 3 (two sets of three reps each)

i am a little confused
    Ok, yes, 2 x 10 to failure means you are failing at, or around the 10th rep. On those sets take them to concentric failure (you get stuck on a rep - be sure to use a spotter depending on the exercise).

Now, 2 x 3 not taken to failure is different. If you are not going to failure and are stopping 2 reps or so short, that means you select a weight you should be able to get for 5 reps and do it for 2 sets of 4. Does that make sense?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by yorkgivens View Post
    Good write up, might give the routine a try. One beef tho. If it can be done drug free don't fill the article with pics of pro p.lifters who use drugs.
    Geez, first, neither you nor I know for sure if the athletes pictured are drug free. Next, pics are meant to be motivational and as such you want to use pics of the best.

Finally, if you want to see a video of a drug free guy (he is a friend, so I know) who used the program here you go:

Video

Quote Originally Posted by decroo21 View Post
    Maybe I just didn't fully understand the memo in the program outline but I don't understand how this will really help my bench. My current benching routine is 3 sets of 5 reps with 175, supersetting the bench with my other exercises. To me that seems to be a better workout then the 2 or 3 sets with 2 or 3 reps. Not that I am questioning you at all, I am probably just missing something about working up to a certain weight or something.

Read the whole thing. Trust me when I tell you the program will smoke what you are currently doing.

Quote Originally Posted by littleman19 View Post
    So i have a question. the program has you squatting on monday, deadlifting on wednesday, and leg pressing on friday. For someone whose body doesn't respond well to such a program, could one:

1) Get rid of the squating, leg pressing and calf raises on monday and friday
    2) Make Wednesday DE Squat/Deadlift day (doing designed bench work prior to any lower work of coarse)
    3) Add a ME Squat/Deadlift day on Saturday/Sunday

Making Wednesday a ME Lower day and Saturday/Sunday a DE Lower day would work also.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    If you train with the prescribed volume and stop a few reps short of failure on your working sets, your body will respond just fine. You have to consider ALL aspects of the program.

So, no, don't change it.
    Mk cool. I really wanna try this program within the next 3 months. The only problem I have now is that I can't leg press because the angle and positioning puts to much pressure on my lower back and gives me back problems. What would you recommend in its place? Just another variation of squat like front squat, hack squat machine, overhead squat, or even cleans??? I can't do SLDL either.
    Weight: 160 (148lb class)
    Height: 5'6
    Powerlifting Journal

AWPC Worlds Teen Champ @ 148
    Squat 562 Beanch 319 Deadlift 507 Elite Total 1388

Gym records (Single-ply lifter)
    Squat 600 Bench 354 Deadlift 560

Wannabebig Member
    I don't have an exact time, but 5 minutes is not necessary. I would say 1-3 minutes depending upon how you feel.

Do me a favor and make sure to not only do the exact program, eat the prescribed # of calories and take the suggest supps (or something similar) as well. If you do, you will be VERY happy!

Chris
    Few more questions:
    1)I will do the diet like you said and take creatine w/whey protein as my supps.
    I will do 1-3 min rest but in the 4th week if I feel I need 5 min rest when the weights are getting heavier will that ruin the program?

2)Why the underhand pulldown for the back? Is this directly for the program for bench strength or just make sure your biceps are hit? Is it ok for me to do underhand chins or wide grip pull ups instead as long as I dont go to fail?

3) I dont have a squat or power rack at my gym, is it ok to do dumbell squats instead? We do have a smith machine but I hate smith machines.

4)Just curious, If I can do 250lbs bench for 5 reps and do 3 reps in a row but the last 2 reps I hold the top and take a few breaths in between the last 2 reps would you say I did 5 reps or is this 3 with 2 rest pause.

Mk cool. I really wanna try this program within the next 3 months. The only problem I have now is that I can't leg press because the angle and positioning puts to much pressure on my lower back and gives me back problems. What would you recommend in its place? Just another variation of squat like front squat, hack squat machine, overhead squat, or even cleans??? I can't do SLDL either.

Ok, yes, a machine squat would be a great substitute. What sort of lower back exercise can you do?

Ok, yes, a machine squat would be a great substitute. What sort of lower back exercise can you do?
    Well as long as I can keep my back arched throughout the entire movement, my lower back won't bother me. I do deadlifts and rack pulls sumo style and squats using a wide-stance. I haven't tried good morning because I've been afraid of rounding my back. For assistance work, I do weighted hyperextensions, pullthroughs and weighted "sit-ups" except with an arched back throughou the entire movement so I train my back just as much as my abs. I can do reverse hypers, I just don't have access to one, I lift alone at the local YMCA .
    Weight: 160 (148lb class)
    Height: 5'6
    Powerlifting Journal

AWPC Worlds Teen Champ @ 148
    Squat 562 Beanch 319 Deadlift 507 Elite Total 1388

Gym records (Single-ply lifter)
    Squat 600 Bench 354 Deadlift 560

Well as long as I can keep my back arched throughout the entire movement, my lower back won't bother me. I do deadlifts and rack pulls sumo style and squats using a wide-stance. I haven't tried good morning because I've been afraid of rounding my back. For assistance work, I do weighted hyperextensions, pullthroughs and weighted "sit-ups" except with an arched back throughou the entire movement so I train my back just as much as my abs. I can do reverse hypers, I just don't have access to one, I lift alone at the local YMCA .
    Ok, use the pull-throughs in lieu of the stiffs.

Quote Originally Posted by ms3jake View Post
    Few more questions:
    1)I will do the diet like you said and take creatine w/whey protein as my supps.
    I will do 1-3 min rest but in the 4th week if I feel I need 5 min rest when the weights are getting heavier will that ruin the program?

2)Why the underhand pulldown for the back? Is this directly for the program for bench strength or just make sure your biceps are hit? Is it ok for me to do underhand chins or wide grip pull ups instead as long as I dont go to fail?

3) I dont have a squat or power rack at my gym, is it ok to do dumbell squats instead? We do have a smith machine but I hate smith machines.

4)Just curious, If I can do 250lbs bench for 5 reps and do 3 reps in a row but the last 2 reps I hold the top and take a few breaths in between the last 2 reps would you say I did 5 reps or is this 3 with 2 rest pause.
    1) No, the rest will not ruin the program, but you will not need that much rest.
    2) Yes, it will hit the biceps a bit harder, but using other grips for the chins is ok.
    3) Dumbbell squats are NOT ok. Use the Smith machine if you do not have access to a squat rack.
    4) I would call it 5 reps, but for the purposes of the program the rep counts should be something you can do with good form and consecutively without resting between reps.

Chris

if you're looking to put on some lbs on your benchpress..this program is no joke! VERY intense and VERY gratifying! If your nutrition and everything else is in line, this program will definately give you a return and then some! I loved it while i was one it..then got hurt (not lifting related) and wasn't able to finish it. Really bummed me out.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

OK, so if I do this program I should only lift 3 days/week and put the cardio on back burner, right? The program looks good and I can see how it will work. But after completing the program what would be a good routine trasitioning off this one? I hope this works, it will put me up around 450 raw.
    Best lifts

Bench Raw 560 Equipped 725 single ply
    Deadlift 750

I would suggest you look into a Westside style routine after you finish this program.

Actually, your bench is similar to the one of Jeremy in the video above. He took his raw max from the 430 lbs range to just under 475 lbs (he barely missed it at the meet in the video) using the program.

Wannabebig New Member
    Sorry if I missed this or am just plain stupid but where is the increase of 30lbs at? The routine example is this:

Beginning 1RM Bench Press = 200 lbs
    WEEK 1:
    Monday 200 x 65% = 130 lbs
    Wednesday 200 x 75% = 150lbs
    Friday 200 x 85% = 170 lbs
    WEEK 2
    Monday 130 + 10 = 140 lbs
    Wednesday 150 + 10 = 160 lbs
    Friday 170 + 10 = 180 lbs
    WEEK 3
    Monday 140 + 10 = 150 lbs
    Wednesday 160 + 10 = 170lbs
    Friday 180 + 10 = 190 lbs
    WEEK 4
    Monday 150 + 10 = 160 lbs
    Wednesday 170 + 10 = 180 lbs
    Friday 190 + 10 = 200 lbs

Shouldn't there be a 230lbs bench in there somewhere or is just by doing this program for a month your bench should go up by 30lbs? Therefore upon finishing this program, such person should be able to bench 230 on the next workout?

Hey Chris,

Will this program work if you don't want to gain weight? I'm already at 275 and feeling good, but I don't really wanna go much higher. I appreciate your time, man. Thank you.

jesse, it would work very well. In fact I would recommend you give this program a try given that I know where you are at in your training and your goals

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by jbrin0tk View Post
    Hey Chris,

Will this program work if you don't want to gain weight? I'm already at 275 and feeling good, but I don't really wanna go much higher. I appreciate your time, man. Thank you.

Yeah, definitely. If that is the case do everything but the recommended caloric intake and you should still experience great progress.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mhissticobra View Post
    Sorry if I missed this or am just plain stupid but where is the increase of 30lbs at? The routine example is this:

Beginning 1RM Bench Press = 200 lbs
    WEEK 1:
    Monday 200 x 65% = 130 lbs
    Wednesday 200 x 75% = 150lbs
    Friday 200 x 85% = 170 lbs
    WEEK 2
    Monday 130 + 10 = 140 lbs
    Wednesday 150 + 10 = 160 lbs
    Friday 170 + 10 = 180 lbs
    WEEK 3
    Monday 140 + 10 = 150 lbs
    Wednesday 160 + 10 = 170lbs
    Friday 180 + 10 = 190 lbs
    WEEK 4
    Monday 150 + 10 = 160 lbs
    Wednesday 170 + 10 = 180 lbs
    Friday 190 + 10 = 200 lbs

Shouldn't there be a 230lbs bench in there somewhere or is just by doing this program for a month your bench should go up by 30lbs? Therefore upon finishing this program, such person should be able to bench 230 on the next workout?

Right, look at the example. You start with a 1 rep max of 200 lbs. You finish the program doing your old MAX for 2 sets of 2 reps. You will then be able to handle roughly 30 lbs more for a single.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    jesse, it would work very well. In fact I would recommend you give this program a try given that I know where you are at in your training and your goals

Travis, thank you. Your input is always appreciated with me, man.

Yeah, definitely. If that is the case do everything but the recommended caloric intake and you should still experience great progress.

Chris

Thanks for the timely response, Chris. Again, I appreciate your time!

Wannabebig Member
    i must say that i just started yesterday, and i have been constantly working out without pain using my own bench routine weekly. Just 1 day of switching to this and i feel more gain than a month of my bench, simply amazing....

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigAsian View Post
    i must say that i just started yesterday, and i have been constantly working out without pain using my own bench routine weekly. Just 1 day of switching to this and i feel more gain than a month of my bench, simply amazing....
    Are you being sarcastic or serious? If serious, thank you.

Wannabebig Member
    1) No, the rest will not ruin the program, but you will not need that much rest.
    2) Yes, it will hit the biceps a bit harder, but using other grips for the chins is ok.
    3) Dumbbell squats are NOT ok. Use the Smith machine if you do not have access to a squat rack.
    4) I would call it 5 reps, but for the purposes of the program the rep counts should be something you can do with good form and consecutively without resting between reps.

Chris
    Alright, I can do this program Sun, tues, and Thurs, Im assuming thats ok?
    Can I switch my squat day from to Sun instead of tues? I have access to a squat rack Tues and I hate the smith machine with a passion. Will I still get some results if I dont increase my calories. Im pretty strong and muscular but being a truck driver my body fat is somewhere between 15-20 and my waist is 37 let out. I dont want any more fat if possible. If you say it wont work I can put up with another month a calorie surplus if i have to. I really want to try this because my best max bench has been plateued at 275 for years. I have long extremeties and that doesnt help. I am 5'11 185lbs.
    Last edited by ms3jake; 07-30-2008 at 04:48 PM.

Everything you proposed is ok.

Do not eat below maintenance during the program, but it will still work without the really high intake called for.

Chris

Wannabebig Member
    I have two questions for you Chris:

Do you have any special instructions for doing deadlifts and squats in your program? Such as first set do such weight and finish with that, etc..

I've always done my squats and dl 3x5 as heavy as I could go in order to complete the sets. I know I should probably switch it around and go heavier this day of the week, or switch number of sets on that day. Do you have any recommendations for outside the program, thanks.

Wannabebig Member
    i am not lieing my regular routine was 225x3, 255x2, 265x2, 275x2, 285x2,295x2 and i would stop their and would feel barely anything. When i tried this workout on monday i directly felt it on tuesday after i woke up and was pretty happy to see a legit routine for once