The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Wannabebig Member
    I'm currently doing the "milan strong bench program"

but I'll definitely give this a go as soon as I finish.

I'm addicted to bench programs

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    I just finished the routine today...and I am impressed. I pseudo calculated my max based on the 1 rep rm calculator. The most I have ever done prior to this workout was 240 x 3. This came out to about 260 pounds. I felt adventurous, so I upped that max to 270. Well, today I hit 260 x 2 WITH NO PROBLEM. Even though my arms were shaking quite a bit, the push off my chest felt very explosive. Two months ago I couldnt even do 225 3 times. Instead of doing 60 pound DB's times 30 reps, I decided to see how much I could rep 225 pounds. I got 8 times without a spotter, so I am pretty sure I could have gotten around 10 with a little help. GREAT PROGRAM.

I am 6'5" 220 so I feel thats a pretty good weight for my size and long arms. My goal now is to get to 240 pounds and work really hard on my squats since that is my weak point now.

Chris, do you have any recommendations for increasing squats while maintaining/steadily increasing bench? My body was very responsive to doing bench three times/week so I was thinking of doing a similar routine for my squats while doing medium bench on monday/heavy bench on friday.

I was thinking something like this:

Monday:
    Squats (light for 3 sets of 5)
    Bench (medium for 3 sets of 5)
    Walking Lunges (I like them for flexibility)
    Tricep work (skull crushers and rope pulldown)
    Abs

Wednesday:
    Squats (medium for 2 sets of 3 or 4)
    Bicep work ( I dont really care about increasing my bicep size, I like tris and chest better)
    Rear delt/Upper back work
    Dead lifts (every other wednesday)
    Abs

Friday:
    Squats (Heavy for 2 sets of 2 or 3)
    Bench (Heavy for 2 sets of 2 or 3)
    Tricep work (skull crushers and rope pulldown)
    Abs

Obviously I will work out what light,medium, and heavy actually translates to, but does this look like something that may increase my squats/bench on a weekly basis? The thing I really liked about this workout was that I was NEVER sore and I felt stronger every single time I hit the gym. I am not sure if this was because I went from a 4day/week workout to a 3day/week workout...all I know is that I really responded to less lifting.

Also, the reason I put deadlifts every other week is because I can already max upwards of 405 pounds so I am not too concerned about them.

New maxes:

Bench: 280 (this is an assumption based on ease of 260 x 2)
    Deadlift: 405
    Squats: 335 (this was a struggle, I really need to get after the squats)
    Total: 1020
    Awesome!

I think working the squat in a similar fashion is a great idea. I have done it before personally with nice success. Give it a run and let us know how you do.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    Looks good, I'll have to try it
    Learn how to earn a passive income online.

I started my log for this program in the journals, Anyone else have theres on here, i always like to check them out.
    Last edited by Darracq; 09-28-2008 at 08:02 AM.

Banned
    I am on week 2 of the workout I just posted above...I had to keep the squats light for the whole first week because of pain in my hip. However, my bench is still going up. Last monday I did 235 X 5 for 3 sets and then friday I did 250 x 3 for 2 sets. Now today I did 240 x 5 for 3 sets and it was not that difficult. I am believing this may be a good workout plan to complement the 30 lbs in 30 days program..however that remains to be seen. I will log my progress every now and again to let you know if I am still making gains. One thing I don't like is my wednesday workout...any ideas how can I modify it to better complement the monday/friday days? Is one day for biceps enough or should I try to mix them in on another day too?

Johnny
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkgivens View Post
    Good write up, might give the routine a try. One beef tho. If it can be done drug free don't fill the article with pics of pro p.lifters who use drugs.

he he he, i was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtFernando View Post
    he he he, i was thinking the same thing.
    I have no comment on the drug use status of the lifters pictured. What I can tell you is that you can only use pics with the permission of the individuals and I have all of those inviduals' permission to do so thus their inclusion.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Oh, and here is a drug-free lifter, my buddy, Justin Tooley benching in a drug tested meet after having used the program for 30 days:

Video

Wannabebig New Member
    What sort of percentages are you supposed to use with the squat and the deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Paycheck View Post
    What sort of percentages are you supposed to use with the squat and the deadlift?
    I am using a weight that is 2 reps or so from failure but i think i should of gone a little lighter, it might get hard at the end, and i would rather save my cns for bench. Thats just my oppion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Paycheck View Post
    Not to be an ass, but read through the program and you will find the answer.
    Last edited by chris mason; 10-07-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Going To Give This A Shot, I Have Been Lifting For 2 Months And My Bench Jumped From 315 For 1 To 405 For 1, But I Have Been Stagnet So I Am Goign To Try This Routine.

You have only been lifting that long and have a 405 lbs bench? That is amazing! You must have some serious genetics for strength.

Wannabebig Member
    Hi, I am new to this forum but have been lifting for about a year now. I want to try this bench program, but i have one question. I could not find anything that specified rest times during sets. I would beileve that this is important, so how long of rests should you take between bench, and other exercieses?
    Thanks.

Depending on your unique physiology you should take 1-3 minutes between working sets. I tend to be on the lower end of that spectrum for most sets.

Wannabebig Member
    So if I'm on this routine, I only squat once a month?
    Last edited by Mugen46; 10-08-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    ok, ive been reading over the program and just trying to understand how it works and such. I am just wondering, isnt it missing some shoulder work or something. I understand this workout is to increase your bench press, but are the other body parts not being some what neglected like this? I am just wondering if some exercises can be susbstitued, or anything be added..like pulldowns, for pullups. And add like a military, or arnold press? OK thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen46 View Post
    So if I'm on this routine, I only squat once a month?

No every monday or your 1st day you so 2 sets of 5

Quote Originally Posted by HongMan_Choi View Post
    ok, ive been reading over the program and just trying to understand how it works and such. I am just wondering, isnt it missing some shoulder work or something. I understand this workout is to increase your bench press, but are the other body parts not being some what neglected like this? I am just wondering if some exercises can be susbstitued, or anything be added..like pulldowns, for pullups. And add like a military, or arnold press? OK thanks.
    You will get plenty of shoulder work benching 3 times a week, and i do pull ups myself instead of pull downs as i dont have my lat machine hooked up at home.

Quote Originally Posted by HongMan_Choi View Post

There is no need. Trust me. You are only following the program for 30 days. Nothing is going to shrink, quite the contrary.

Wannabebig New Member
    New poster here, saw the link to this program on another forum. My question is, do you run this cycle raw or shirted? Or does it not matter?

Thanks!

Wannabebig Member
    Not trying to put down your routine or anything but is there a specific reason why it's leg press on fridays? Can I do squats instead?

Quote Originally Posted by skimmilk68 View Post
    Not trying to put down your routine or anything but is there a specific reason why it's leg press on fridays? Can I do squats instead?

To protect your CNS. Try it, there is a reason for everything I have done in that program.

Quote Originally Posted by dan88z View Post
    New poster here, saw the link to this program on another forum. My question is, do you run this cycle raw or shirted? Or does it not matter?

Thanks!

It is designed for a raw press, but to be honest, I would like to have it done by a shirted trainee.

Wannabebig Member
    I don't like that routine, it might work for some but change usually does.
    5'9"
    body weight 180lbs
    Raw bench: 385
    Deadlift: 445
    Squat 455