Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Up Your Bench Press 30lbs in 30 days!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    It is designed for a raw press, but to be honest, I would like to have it done by a shirted trainee.
    Maybe I can be your guinea pig! I just got done with a meet a couple weeks ago, and I started a raw wave loading program, but I'm not so far into it that I couldn't change up for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by DTF View Post
    I don't like that routine, it might work for some but change usually does.

What are you saying i cant under stand it.

Wannabebig Member
    To protect your CNS. Try it, there is a reason for everything I have done in that program.
    I was just curious because the people here who worship rippetoe says squating 3x a week is perfectly fine and I don't have to worry about over training the muscles/joints affected by squats...

Quote Originally Posted by skimmilk68 View Post
    I was just curious because the people here who worship rippetoe says squating 3x a week is perfectly fine and I don't have to worry about over training the muscles/joints affected by squats...
    Depending on circumstance and goal you can certainly squat 3X per week. Remember, the primary focus of this program is your bench.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by dan88z View Post
    Maybe I can be your guinea pig! I just got done with a meet a couple weeks ago, and I started a raw wave loading program, but I'm not so far into it that I couldn't change up for a month.
    That would be cool!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by DTF View Post
    I don't like that routine, it might work for some but change usually does.
    Lol, ok.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm on rippetoes right now and squatting heavy 3 times a week is horrible. You will eventually overtrain. I prefer bill starr's squatting 3 times a week scheme. heavy on mondey, light on wed, and heavy on friday.

TJW
    I am about to start my 3rd week of this program and I like it a lot. I had asked this in my other thread but got no response so I will ask here: since I can't do leg work, what program would you suggest to do after this? I am thinking about Kelly Baggett's program focusing on bench. Would this be ok? I just thought this would work because I can't really work on squats or deads so I figure this is a great time to improve my bench. I also thought about Ed Coan's routine but wasn't sure what to do on non-bench days. Hopefully someone could answer these. Thanks for the help.

Wannabebig Member
    wow its been a while since ive posted, but i just wanted to say i started this in the summer. my bench max than was 315. in about 2-3 months i got up to 345 which im quite proud of.

done. finished the program last sunday hitting both sets of 230x2. did deload lower on wednesday, deload bench on thursday, heavy back on friday, and i maxed out on bench today. Despite the fact that my diet sucked the past week (~1500 calories less a day than what i usually do) and last night was homecoming (didn't go to bed till about 4am after being an idiot for a while ) i still managed to pull off a 15lb PR. i'm sure if my diet was better this past week and i actually rested up i would have gotten more.
    Weight: 160 (148lb class)
    Height: 5'6
    Powerlifting Journal

AWPC Worlds Teen Champ @ 148
    Squat 562 Beanch 319 Deadlift 507 Elite Total 1388

Gym records (Single-ply lifter)
    Squat 600 Bench 354 Deadlift 560

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigAsian View Post
    wow its been a while since ive posted, but i just wanted to say i started this in the summer. my bench max than was 315. in about 2-3 months i got up to 345 which im quite proud of.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by littleman19 View Post
    done. finished the program last sunday hitting both sets of 230x2. did deload lower on wednesday, deload bench on thursday, heavy back on friday, and i maxed out on bench today. Despite the fact that my diet sucked the past week (~1500 calories less a day than what i usually do) and last night was homecoming (didn't go to bed till about 4am after being an idiot for a while ) i still managed to pull off a 15lb PR. i'm sure if my diet was better this past week and i actually rested up i would have gotten more.
    Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by gatorman2k6 View Post
    I am about to start my 3rd week of this program and I like it a lot. I had asked this in my other thread but got no response so I will ask here: since I can't do leg work, what program would you suggest to do after this? I am thinking about Kelly Baggett's program focusing on bench. Would this be ok? I just thought this would work because I can't really work on squats or deads so I figure this is a great time to improve my bench. I also thought about Ed Coan's routine but wasn't sure what to do on non-bench days. Hopefully someone could answer these. Thanks for the help.
    Why can't you train legs?

TJW
    Why can't you train legs?
    I went to the doctor on Friday after limping for over a month and he told me I had pulled my groin and had loose cartilage underneath my kneecap. He said I could still do elliptical type stuff but to not doing weights until the pain has gone away. The worst part is the groin could take up to 3 months to heal. I might be able to do light legs in a couple weeks but right now I don't want to further injure them. That's why I was looking for a program that didn't stress legs. I have already done a 5x5 variation but that had me squatting 3x a week and that just isn't happening and then I thought about WS4SB but I can't really do the leg days. Hopefully one of you experts could help me find a program. Thanks.

Wannabebig Member
    guys,

i see people quoting their progress with 'raw' or 'meet' and various other terms.. what do they mean? am a newbie in bodybuilding =)

This isnt bodybuidling.

Raw mean no bench shirt, meet is done with a pause usually at a powerlifting meet.

Wannabebig Member
    what does 2x10x to failure mean?

should I select a certain weight where i start burn out within 10 reps or keep going past 10 reps til failure?

what does 2x10x to failure mean?

should I select a certain weight where i start burn out within 10 reps or keep going past 10 reps til failure?
    Try to choose a weight where you will fail on the 10th rep. If you can do more, then still go to failure.

Wannabebig Member
    hey chris, i apologize for asking so many questions but...

I understand that you go up 10 pounds each week on bench (15 pounds on fridays)
    but I'm a little confused by what you mean by "increase loads by 10 lbs per set"

lets say on week 2, monday, I'm supposed to bench 200.. do i start froom 180 and increase load by 10 pound each set (ending up with 200 pounds on final set)? or am i understanding this completely wrong?

but I'm a little confused by what you mean by "increase loads by 10 lbs per set"

lets say on week 2, monday, I'm supposed to bench 200.. do i start froom 180 and increase load by 10 pound each set (ending up with 200 pounds on final set)? or am i understanding this completely wrong?

I dont see anything that says 10lbs per set, just add 10lbs each week. just look at the examples. i think you might of read it wrong?

No, the weight for each working set stays the same, you are adding the 10 lbs from the working sets from the previous week's same day session.

Chris

TJW
    Well, I just finished my 3rd week on this program b/c I had to make up my medium and heavy days, and all I can say is that I can't wait for next week because I will be hitting some new PRs. I hadn't maxed but I figured it was around 205 so I bumped it up to 210 for the program just to get a little extra out of it. Well this week I did 200 lbs 2x2 and it went up so much easier than I had thought. I haven't even put 200 lbs on the bar before so I am pumped for 210x2x2. I really would like to try 215x2x2 but I don't want to disappoint myself. Then the next week I am going to try and get 225 for my 1rm and see if I can lift more.

Looking to the near future, does anybody have a suggestion as to what I should do after this to make sure I don't stop progressing. For background, you could go up a few posts and read, or just realize I can't do leg work for a little while due to a pulled groin and loose cartilage under my knee cap. Hopefully someone could help me with this. Thanks.

there area million things you could try, i would try westside for skinny bastards 3. just leave out the legs stuff if you have to.

TJW
    I had thought about westside for skinny bastards but I thought that if I took out the leg work, I would be cutting out too much. I was wondering if it would be okay to continue this program for more than 4 weeks as long as the progress continues? Or, would Kelly Baggett's routine for increasing your bench be ok? I know there are a million programs out there but it is tough to find ones that don't have a large emphasis on leg work. Thanks again for all the help.

Wannabebig Member
    I can't wait to start this routine tomorrow (that's the whole reason why I registered for this site).

But...I notice there's not much decline/incline press.
    Also, not much on the biceps...
    Any word on why this is?

Once again, thanks for the routine; I'll post back with results!
    Last edited by iknowwhoyouare; 10-19-2008 at 04:49 PM.