The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorman2k6 View Post
    I had thought about westside for skinny bastards but I thought that if I took out the leg work, I would be cutting out too much. I was wondering if it would be okay to continue this program for more than 4 weeks as long as the progress continues? Or, would Kelly Baggett's routine for increasing your bench be ok? I know there are a million programs out there but it is tough to find ones that don't have a large emphasis on leg work. Thanks again for all the help.
    You can certainly continue it and see how it goes. If you do, simply retest your max and start over with the bench section.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by iknowwhoyouare View Post
    I can't wait to start this routine tomorrow (that's the whole reason why I registered for this site).

But...I notice there's not much decline/incline press.
    Also, not much on the biceps...
    Any word on why this is?

Once again, thanks for the routine; I'll post back with results!
    First, thanks for joining!

Please follow the program exactly. Everything in the routine is by design.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post

Right, I understand that but I was just curious as to why that is (physiologically speaking).

How would me doing bicep curls on, say, Sunday (so long as I maintain diet) affect chest/tricep/shoulder functionality?

TJW
    You can certainly continue it and see how it goes. If you do, simply retest your max and start over with the bench section.
    Thanks Chris, I figured it would be alright if I continued on with it. This is my final week of my first time through and I am so excited because I know I will be hitting some PRs. I went into with 210 lbs as my max and I am hoping for 225+. I will let everyone know what I end up hitting. The best part is that this program is going to help me win my bet with my friend who said I would be able to bench 240 lbs by new years.

Wannabebig Member
    Awsome. Thanks man

Wannabebig New Member
    when i try to download the file i get this message

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
    You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

You may have to have one post? Give it a try now.

Chris

I can't wait to start this routine tomorrow (that's the whole reason why I registered for this site).

But...I notice there's not much decline/incline press.
    Also, not much on the biceps...
    Any word on why this is?

Right, I understand that but I was just curious as to why that is (physiologically speaking).

How would me doing bicep curls on, say, Sunday (so long as I maintain diet) affect chest/tricep/shoulder functionality?
    **** man just follow the routine. one of the reasons it's so effective is because it's simple and focuses just on what you want to increase, the bench. not the size/strength of your biceps or how much you can incline or decline bench.
    Last edited by cphafner; 10-26-2008 at 04:31 PM.
    Weight: 160 (148lb class)
    Height: 5'6
    Powerlifting Journal

AWPC Worlds Teen Champ @ 148
    Squat 562 Beanch 319 Deadlift 507 Elite Total 1388

Gym records (Single-ply lifter)
    Squat 600 Bench 354 Deadlift 560

I think I might try this program. I'm 160 lbs with a 250 max bench which has plateaued.... I'll check it out and post results.

Wannabebig Member
    I'll be starting this program come monday! Really pumped sounds like people are getting great results from this program.

Starting bench is 285 hoping to put up 3 plates, or at least close to it after the program.

I'll make sure to leave some feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by cranghel099 View Post
    I'll be starting this program come monday! Really pumped sounds like people are getting great results from this program.

Starting bench is 285 hoping to put up 3 plates, or at least close to it after the program.

I'll make sure to leave some feedback!

Why dont you start a log so we can follow it. I did the program all but the last day,i had a pec bothering me and was moving lots of stuff going on, so i didnt get much out of it, but i think it is worth tring.

TJW
    Ok, well I just finished the program and will be maxing soon to see how it worked. I started with 210 lbs(I estimated) as my starting max and I just got it for 2x2, but it was tough. So I was wondering what I should attempt for my max and how I should warm up for it. I am hoping to get at least 225, but I am not exactly sure how I should set it up. If someone could help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks, and I will post back with my final results.

bar x 10
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    205x1
    225x1
    230-235x1

TJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Darracq View Post
    bar x 10
    95x5
    135x3
    185x1
    205x1
    225x1
    230-235x1
    Thanks, thats about what I was thinking, I just didn't want to wear myself out before attempting my max. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Awesome! 2 sets of 2 with 210 lbs will have you SMOKE 225 lbs!

Thanks, thats about what I was thinking, I just didn't want to wear myself out before attempting my max. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
    Just take plenty of rest after 185.

Wannabebig Member
    does longer warm up typically let you get a better 1RM?

I try to cut it down to like 3, maybe 4 warm up sets

Quote Originally Posted by skimmilk68 View Post
    does longer warm up typically let you get a better 1RM?

I try to cut it down to like 3, maybe 4 warm up sets
    ON bench i can only take 30-40lb jumps, on deads i can add a plate a set untill past 315. the stronger you are the bigger the jumps you can make up to a point. I find also. My cns seems to take awhile to get to full power.

Wannabebig Member
    so in other words, a good warm up does equal higher more power?

Wannabebig Member
    so in other words, a good warm up does equal more power?

Quote Originally Posted by skimmilk68 View Post
    so in other words, a good warm up does equal more power?
    So long as you have not exhausted yourself. I personally only use a couple of warm-up sets.

Chris

Wannabebig Member
    Can't wait to start this routine next week.

Question though. What do you think about me doing the sheiko bench routine after this? I was thinking it might be too much after this routine and was also thinking I should move to the 5x5 routine after your routine and then move to sheiko once I'm done with the 5x5

TJW
    Well, I maxed out today and I am happy with my results. Going into the program, I ended up overestimating my max at 210 lbs when it was probably closer to 200 lbs. Well I followed the advice posted above and hit 225. It was going up fine until I hit the pins about half way up. So I decided that 230 was no more impressive than 225 and decided to rest and try 235. Well, I tend to have a problem of descending too slow and it got me on 235 and I couldn't muscle it up. I am still extremely happy that I got about 25 lbs out of this program and can't wait to try it again. BTW, this was done without any leg work or deadlifts because of my knee/groin injury.

The knee is finally starting to get better and light leg work is getting incorporated into the program. Now I just need to decide whether or not I should do this program again, like Chris suggested earlier or if I should do Ed Coan's bench routine. The only problem is that I am not good at making my own routine and I don't know what to do on non-bench days if I use Coan's program. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

The last thing I would like to say is that if you are on the fence of whether or not you want to do this program or not, I suggest going with it because I am so happy with the results.

Wannabebig Member
    as my bench weight increased, i could not do as much skull crushers or dumbell press... is this normal or should I be increasing in those lifts also?

Wannabebig Member
    I am on Week 4 of the program. Starting 1RM was 215-220. The last thursday i did 205 2x2 quite easily, next thursday i am doing 215 2x2. Btw i started on sunday. So i go sunday tuesday thursday.What do you think i could push wit 205 2x2. I am thinking i will be able to do 215 2x2 quite easily as well, so i am looking forward to it. What is an estimated 1RM at now. I will post final results soon.