Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Up Your Bench Press 30lbs in 30 days!

I would say you're between 230-235
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen46 View Post
    Can't wait to start this routine next week.

Question though. What do you think about me doing the sheiko bench routine after this? I was thinking it might be too much after this routine and was also thinking I should move to the 5x5 routine after your routine and then move to sheiko once I'm done with the 5x5
    You could give it a run if you take a week or so break in between.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by gatorman2k6 View Post
    Well, I maxed out today and I am happy with my results. Going into the program, I ended up overestimating my max at 210 lbs when it was probably closer to 200 lbs. Well I followed the advice posted above and hit 225. It was going up fine until I hit the pins about half way up. So I decided that 230 was no more impressive than 225 and decided to rest and try 235. Well, I tend to have a problem of descending too slow and it got me on 235 and I couldn't muscle it up. I am still extremely happy that I got about 25 lbs out of this program and can't wait to try it again. BTW, this was done without any leg work or deadlifts because of my knee/groin injury.

The knee is finally starting to get better and light leg work is getting incorporated into the program. Now I just need to decide whether or not I should do this program again, like Chris suggested earlier or if I should do Ed Coan's bench routine. The only problem is that I am not good at making my own routine and I don't know what to do on non-bench days if I use Coan's program. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

The last thing I would like to say is that if you are on the fence of whether or not you want to do this program or not, I suggest going with it because I am so happy with the results.
    Great! Thanks for posting your results.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by skimmilk68 View Post
    as my bench weight increased, i could not do as much skull crushers or dumbell press... is this normal or should I be increasing in those lifts also?
    You should be able to increase them as well. With that said, if you had not done them on the same day as you are benching previously that makes sense as the benching will pre-fatigue them to a degree.

Hey Chris I am thinking of trying this routine. I wanted to know why there isn't any shoulder work.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Hey Chris I am thinking of trying this routine. I wanted to know why there isn't any shoulder work.
    Have you read this whole post? dont you thing benching 3 times a week will hit the shoulders enough?

a) Trust the program.
    b) Your shoulders will not shrink.
    c) Trust the program.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, honestly i also thought there was not enough shoulder work. But my shoulders actually got noticeable bigger. I am doing my final day of the program today. Will post results.

Quote Originally Posted by HongMan_Choi View Post
    Yeah, honestly i also thought there was not enough shoulder work. But my shoulders actually got noticeable bigger. I am doing my final day of the program today. Will post results.

Excellent! Looking forward to them!

Wannabebig Member
    I will be giving this a shot. Looks great. Chris - do you think this template could be modified for squatting/pulling?

Quote Originally Posted by huzzer View Post
    I will be giving this a shot. Looks great. Chris - do you think this template could be modified for squatting/pulling?
    Yes, with only slight tweaks.

Wannabebig Member
    just finished up with week 2 of 30lbs. in 30 day so far soo good;done everything pretty much how its laid out other than two modifications replaced leg press with some single leg work, replaced calves with some rehab exercises such as rotator cuff work, low trap work

performed 250 2x2, went up with no prob.
    performed 50lbs. dumbbell's by 40 reps to failure, prob up the weight next week to 55 lbs.

im liking this program a lot, almost feels like the first workout of the week is a nice little deload, and it gets progressively harder throughout the week

calories have been prob. around maintenance , just more conscious with what I eat (lot of clean foods, and your occasional 1000 calorie burrito!)

i'll let your guys know how the 3rd week goes!~

Quote Originally Posted by cranghel099 View Post
    just finished up with week 2 of 30lbs. in 30 day so far soo good;done everything pretty much how its laid out other than two modifications replaced leg press with some single leg work, replaced calves with some rehab exercises such as rotator cuff work, low trap work

performed 250 2x2, went up with no prob.
    performed 50lbs. dumbbell's by 40 reps to failure, prob up the weight next week to 55 lbs.

im liking this program a lot, almost feels like the first workout of the week is a nice little deload, and it gets progressively harder throughout the week

calories have been prob. around maintenance , just more conscious with what I eat (lot of clean foods, and your occasional 1000 calorie burrito!)

i'll let your guys know how the 3rd week goes!~
    Good stuff!

Wannabebig Member
    Just finished week 1 and WOW I'm feeling it already. My starting max was 240 which I got the week prior. The double on friday felt kind of hard. Wasn't expecting that wince I usually rep that same weight for 3 sets of 5.

My back and lower body aren't feeling that great, so I think I'm going to give this a try. Mr. Mason, do you recommend using my current max (this was done with my partner giving me a handoff) or should I be conservative and take off some pounds?

EDIT:
    I have another question. Would it be alright to do week #1, take a week off, and continue with the remaining program after (week 2, 3, 4)? Because my gym closes on holidays so I'd like to finish the first week, take a week off during thanksgiving, and finish the remaining program before christmas. Is this okay?
    Last edited by MPB; 11-09-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    i tested my 1RM today. My beggining RM was 210-215. I did 235x1 today. My friend who did this program with me started with 195-200 1RM. He did 220x1 today. It wasnt 30lb gain, but we are still pretyy satisfied with the results. I would reccomend this program, as it was meet and surpass my expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by HongMan_Choi View Post
    i tested my 1RM today. My beggining RM was 210-215. I did 235x1 today. My friend who did this program with me started with 195-200 1RM. He did 220x1 today. It wasnt 30lb gain, but we are still pretyy satisfied with the results. I would reccomend this program, as it was meet and surpass my expectations.

Awesome! Nothing wrong with a 20-25 lbs increase on your bench in 30 days, eh?

Great job!

Chris

I just thought shoulder work may be important in increasing bench, that was my only thought.

I am trying this out today Chris, I will tell you how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPitbull View Post
    My back and lower body aren't feeling that great, so I think I'm going to give this a try. Mr. Mason, do you recommend using my current max (this was done with my partner giving me a handoff) or should I be conservative and take off some pounds?

EDIT:
    I have another question. Would it be alright to do week #1, take a week off, and continue with the remaining program after (week 2, 3, 4)? Because my gym closes on holidays so I'd like to finish the first week, take a week off during thanksgiving, and finish the remaining program before christmas. Is this okay?
    Still waiting for your answer
    (just to remind you if in case you forgot to look at my post)

Ok I did my first day.

Instead of skull crushers, can I do these? http://www.netfit.co.uk/fitness/exer...ench-press.htm
    Except not on a ball lol. Skull crushers REALLY hurt my elbows and I dont feel anything in the triceps at all.

And btw your right... I was tempted to do more sets... but I restrained.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPitbull View Post
    Still waiting for your answer
    (just to remind you if in case you forgot to look at my post)

I think it would be best to wait until after the holidays to do the program based upon your gym closing.

Chris

Ok I did my first day.

Instead of skull crushers, can I do these? http://www.netfit.co.uk/fitness/exer...ench-press.htm
    Except not on a ball lol. Skull crushers REALLY hurt my elbows and I dont feel anything in the triceps at all.

And btw your right... I was tempted to do more sets... but I restrained.

Sure, that would be fine.

Alright, thanks for the answer!

Wannabebig Member

www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_II.html

Can I run this^^ after your program?
    i'm looking for another 3 day split (but without squats but with deadlifts-- my ass is too muscular/big for my body)

though if you have any suggestions, with your track record of success I'll do it.
    ---

Btw, I have one workout left and my old 1RM was 170. I'm easily doing 190 now after 4 weeks. Thanks for the routine, Chris!
    Last edited by iknowwhoyouare; 11-12-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iknowwhoyouare View Post
    Can I run this^^ after your program?
    i'm looking for another 3 day split (but without squats but with deadlifts-- my ass is too muscular/big for my body)

though if you have any suggestions, with your track record of success I'll do it.
    ---

Btw, I have one workout left and my old 1RM was 170. I'm easily doing 190 now after 4 weeks. Thanks for the routine, Chris!
    Great job!