The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Up Your Bench Press 30lbs in 30 days!

Chris has been working on this program for a while now...

He started off by giving the program in a raw form to several friends and members on this forum and they experienced very favourable increases in their bench press, many much more than the modest 30lbs in the title of the program.

So, Chris decided to put a bit more work into the program and cover all angles - how to train, eat and supplement to increase your bench press AT LEAST 30lbs in 30 days!

Here is the personal introduction to the program from Chris himself:

Your reaction upon reading the title of this guide was one of disbelief and curiosity, wasn’t it? I understand.

There are a lot of people making a lot of promises out there and very few of them pan out. Your personal gym experience also influences your reaction to the title. You have not experienced such fantastic progress and follow all of the advice you have gathered from the net and in print. Undoubtedly, you have heretofore come to the conclusion that such progress is only possible with anabolic steroids and inhuman heredity.

I am here to tell you it can and has been done, drug-free, and that includes experienced trainees. With the right combination of proper training, diet, rest, and supplementation you can do it!

If you’re game, read on….......
    Enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by chris mason; 07-26-2008 at 10:08 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Also, we would love to hear your feedback on the program. Let us know in this thread!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Wannabebig Member

www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_II.html

Can I run this^^ after your program?
    i'm looking for another 3 day split (but without squats but with deadlifts-- my ass is too muscular/big for my body)

though if you have any suggestions, with your track record of success I'll do it.
    ---

Btw, I have one workout left and my old 1RM was 170. I'm easily doing 190 now after 4 weeks. Thanks for the routine, Chris!
    Last edited by iknowwhoyouare; 11-12-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iknowwhoyouare View Post
    Can I run this^^ after your program?
    i'm looking for another 3 day split (but without squats but with deadlifts-- my ass is too muscular/big for my body)

though if you have any suggestions, with your track record of success I'll do it.
    ---

Btw, I have one workout left and my old 1RM was 170. I'm easily doing 190 now after 4 weeks. Thanks for the routine, Chris!
    Great job!

For anyone just reading this thread, the program WORKS and it works WELL. Give it a run and be benching a whole lot more in 30 days!

Wannabebig Member
    Should someone in the first year of lifting for the first time try this routine or will gains on a newbie come no matter what?

I started benching at 170ish and probably now close to 200. Most of this since August with 3 weeks off due to a lot of work hours w/driving, bruised ribs, and most recently my lower back from deadlifts(wrong form I believe). Was in bed for 3 days and another 2 walking all hunched over.

Wannabebig Member
    Just finished up with Week 3 of the 30lbs. in 30 days template.

Workout 1: went well, weight felt light and fast
    Workout 2: went well, weight felt light and fast
    Workout 3: sets felt heavy (for good reason though)

my working sets for workout 3 were 260 @ 2x2, both sets felt heavy, i was able to get both reps each set, last reps of each set had to grind out.

Workout 3 was really insightful, first set i got stuck at the lockout, I was able to grind the rep out. Second set, although i was fatigued, i knew where the sticking point was gunna be so i was mentally prepared to do what was necessary to get past it; really pulling the bar apart and pushing the bar to my face at lockout seemed to help

Now with all that being said, last night was my 21 birthday, so of course i went out to some bars and threw back some brews; kept hydrated throughout the night and this morning, but obviously alcohol could have dramatically effected my performance.

I got one more week of this program, really excited to see where my max will be, even if its a modest gain of 10 lbs. i'll be psyched since i've been stuck in a rut for a couple of months. Im really gunna throw down the calories and get some sleep this week, and make sure im traing in an optimal environment (no booze).

Wannabebig Member
    Just finished week 2 and it felt easier than week 1 lol. Can't wait for week 3. And I agree on the form perfecting. I'm truly finding what's working best for me on the bench.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I'm going to try this.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Ok one second here.
    My 1rm is 255
    So I should increase the weight by 10lbs per set.

Friday
    85% of 255 is 215
    215x2x2. Easy I can already do that.

Week 2 friday
    Program say I should increase the set by 10lbs. Ok no problem
    225x2x2 Easy I can already do that.

Week 3 friday add another 10lbs
    235x2x2. Easy I can already do that.

Week 4 Friday add another 10lbs
    245x2x2. I can already do that.
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Thomas, if you can do 2 sets of 2 reps with 245 lbs then your 1RM is significantly more than 255 lbs. You need to re-test your max and see what it really is.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Thomas, if you can do 2 sets of 2 reps with 245 lbs then your 1RM is significantly more than 255 lbs. You need to re-test your max and see what it really is.

Chris
    I'll re-test next bench day but I did my 1rm not too long ago.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    I'll re-test next bench day but I did my 1rm not too long ago.

Thomas, think of it this way, if you can handle a weight for 2 reps of 2 sets it means it is relatively light for you. Your 1RM should be at least 275 lbs if you can do 2 x 2 with a given weight fairly easily.

wow 25 cals...for every 1 lbs of weight

so me being 185

i need about 4625 at a min a day

Wannabebig Member
    Thomas, think of it this way, if you can handle a weight for 2 reps of 2 sets it means it is relatively light for you. Your 1RM should be at least 275 lbs if you can do 2 x 2 with a given weight fairly easily.
    I dunno, the last time i tried 260 i failed, yet i can do 235 for 4, then 3. Granted i don't ever practice for max bp also i concede that my form is likely less than perfect, but i see where thomas is coming from. Also i'll include that i'm currently starting a bulking cycle and am eager to try this program.

Wannabebig Member

Chris
    It is plausible that he may not be getting past his sticking point with 255 lbs. If so then Thomas should try some lock outs near 265-275 to over come that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachmanor View Post
    It is plausible that he may not be getting past his sticking point with 255 lbs. If so then Thomas should try some lock outs near 265-275 to over come that problem.

What if his sticking point isn't the lockout?

Wannabebig Member
    Great write up.

Will give this a try soon. Thanks

Wannabebig Member
    How many days after the last workout before testing the new max?

Wannabebig Member
    Ok I am definitely going to try this. But one question. I read and re-read the entire program and must have missed this both times. After my warmup, how many sets of the specified weight do I do? And do I just go to 1-2 reps before failure in all the sets?

For example on Monday of my first week I will be doing 135 pounds since my max is 210. How many sets and reps am I supposed to do with that weight?

Quote Originally Posted by decroo21 View Post
    Ok I am definitely going to try this. But one question. I read and re-read the entire program and must have missed this both times. After my warmup, how many sets of the specified weight do I do? And do I just go to 1-2 reps before failure in all the sets?

For example on Monday of my first week I will be doing 135 pounds since my max is 210. How many sets and reps am I supposed to do with that weight?
    Ok, it says: 3 x 65% x 3 reps. So, that is 3 working sets of 3 reps with 135 lbs. This will be very easy, and that is by design. Trust in the program. It WILL get much harder.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, it says: 3 x 65% x 3 reps. So, that is 3 working sets of 3 reps with 135 lbs. This will be very easy, and that is by design. Trust in the program. It WILL get much harder.
    Ok and will the M: 3x3, W: 2x3, and F: 2x2 format stay the same for all four weeks?

Ok and will the M: 3x3, W: 2x3, and F: 2x2 format stay the same for all four weeks?

Yes, that is correct. You are simply increasing the looks week by week.

Wannabebig New Member
    Chris will surely answer your question better than I will, but don't alter the program at all. It is designed to increase your bench press. Doing things like DE and ME lower body days will take away from the integrity of the program, and you will not see the desired results. It will not be taxing on you at all to do the prescribed sets and reps. You will just be maintaining in those lower body lifts during this month, making minimal increases if that. Guys who have these questions, re-read the article. This is a very simple, effective program to follow if done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripe1 View Post
    How many days after the last workout before testing the new max?
    I would test it Wed-Fri. of the following week if you were on a M,W, F schedule.