The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member littleman19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    169

    Squat Suit Advise: Metal Pro Squatter

    I want to get a squat suit that I can use for both squat & deadlift. I use a wide-stance squat and sumo deadlift. The best I've found so far is the Metal Pro Squatter . This would be the first squat suit I've purchased, but not the first time I've ever used one. I used one of my school's single-ply suits from 7th grade to 10th grade as I completed in high school powerlifting meets, so I have a bit of experience with suits, but I've never used a double-ply before. I'm not a bad squatter. I squatted 325 in a suit at 123lb 2 years ago, hurt my back a few months later, and am now just getting back into squatting (check out my journal). Does anyone have/recommend this suit or have any other suits they recommend?
    Weight: 160 (148lb class)
    Height: 5'6
    Age: 17
    Powerlifting Journal

    AWPC Worlds Teen Champ @ 148
    Squat 562 Beanch 319 Deadlift 507 Elite Total 1388

    Gym records (Single-ply lifter)
    Squat 600 Bench 354 Deadlift 560

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,267
    Are you going to wear briefs? Do you plan on competing in the near future?
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

  4. #3
    Senior Member littleman19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    Are you going to wear briefs? Do you plan on competing in the near future?
    I don't plan on competing any time soon. I just like lifting heavy weights . I was planning on getting briefs eventually, but would you recommend that I start training w/ briefs now? If your going to wear briefs aren't you supposed to size up a bit on the squat suit? Also, do you wear briefs when deadlifting? If not, then I wouldn't want to get briefs because I want to deadlift in the suit also.
    Weight: 160 (148lb class)
    Height: 5'6
    Age: 17
    Powerlifting Journal

    AWPC Worlds Teen Champ @ 148
    Squat 562 Beanch 319 Deadlift 507 Elite Total 1388

    Gym records (Single-ply lifter)
    Squat 600 Bench 354 Deadlift 560

  5. #4
    Senior Member deeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,255
    If you're not going to compete why do you want to get in to equipment?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

  6. #5
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,267
    Quote Originally Posted by littleman19 View Post
    I don't plan on competing any time soon. I just like lifting heavy weights . I was planning on getting briefs eventually, but would you recommend that I start training w/ briefs now? If your going to wear briefs aren't you supposed to size up a bit on the squat suit? Also, do you wear briefs when deadlifting? If not, then I wouldn't want to get briefs because I want to deadlift in the suit also.
    Not sure how your $$$ situation is right now, but with no plans to compete soon I would suggest getting a good pair of briefs to train in and get strong with for a while. Once the time comes around to get ready for a meet you can buy a suit fitted to go over them. Metal briefs are all great. My first pair was the Pros, then I got the Vikings and now I have been training in the Ace briefs for the past 2 years or so. I'd say you can't go wrong with any of them and yes, you can pull sumo in the briefs.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

  7. #6
    Senior Member littleman19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    If you're not going to compete why do you want to get in to equipment?
    For the fun of it . Haha I'm going to go with what Chris recommended.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    Not sure how your $$$ situation is right now, but with no plans to compete soon I would suggest getting a good pair of briefs to train in and get strong with for a while. Once the time comes around to get ready for a meet you can buy a suit fitted to go over them. Metal briefs are all great. My first pair was the Pros, then I got the Vikings and now I have been training in the Ace briefs for the past 2 years or so. I'd say you can't go wrong with any of them and yes, you can pull sumo in the briefs.
    Cool, thank you. I think I'm going to go with the Ace briefs, but the sizing chart has a typo. It says:

    "Ace Briefs: Add 2 to your PELVIS AROUND measurement (inches). If you measure 42, you will need a size 46 Ace brief."

    Do you know if it is supposed to be add 2 or add 4? Also on sizing, did you follow the sizing chart or order smaller than the recommended size? Some people say to order a size or two smaller so once the briefs stretches out you get the best fit.
    Weight: 160 (148lb class)
    Height: 5'6
    Age: 17
    Powerlifting Journal

    AWPC Worlds Teen Champ @ 148
    Squat 562 Beanch 319 Deadlift 507 Elite Total 1388

    Gym records (Single-ply lifter)
    Squat 600 Bench 354 Deadlift 560

  8. #7
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,267
    Quote Originally Posted by littleman19 View Post
    For the fun of it . Haha I'm going to go with what Chris recommended.



    Cool, thank you. I think I'm going to go with the Ace briefs, but the sizing chart has a typo. It says:

    "Ace Briefs: Add 2 to your PELVIS AROUND measurement (inches). If you measure 42, you will need a size 46 Ace brief."

    Do you know if it is supposed to be add 2 or add 4? Also on sizing, did you follow the sizing chart or order smaller than the recommended size? Some people say to order a size or two smaller so once the briefs stretches out you get the best fit.
    Do you have any idea how big your upper thighs are? I have a size 40 Ace brief that is like 2+ years old and a pair of 42's that I just got a few months back. They both fit about the same now(the 40's are stretched out). There is a chance that I still have a pair of 38's that I had bought and were too tight. If one of my training partner's didn't jack them and they fit you, maybe we can make a deal.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

  9. #8
    Senior Member littleman19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    Do you have any idea how big your upper thighs are? I have a size 40 Ace brief that is like 2+ years old and a pair of 42's that I just got a few months back. They both fit about the same now(the 40's are stretched out). There is a chance that I still have a pair of 38's that I had bought and were too tight. If one of my training partner's didn't jack them and they fit you, maybe we can make a deal.
    Thigh: 21.5 in
    Pelvis: 37 in
    Waist: 30.5 in (i don't think waist really matters but i measured it anyways)

    I don't think I'm going to fit in a 38 . According to their chart, I should get a 44. I think I should go with a 42 though. What do you think?
    Weight: 160 (148lb class)
    Height: 5'6
    Age: 17
    Powerlifting Journal

    AWPC Worlds Teen Champ @ 148
    Squat 562 Beanch 319 Deadlift 507 Elite Total 1388

    Gym records (Single-ply lifter)
    Squat 600 Bench 354 Deadlift 560

  10. #9
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,267
    Quote Originally Posted by littleman19 View Post
    Thigh: 21.5 in
    Pelvis: 37 in
    Waist: 30.5 in (i don't think waist really matters but i measured it anyways)

    I don't think I'm going to fit in a 38 . According to their chart, I should get a 44. I think I should go with a 42 though. What do you think?
    No way. You will be swimming in a 44. My legs are bigger than yours by a few inches and I can fit into the 40 and 42 without much problem. I have physically got the 38 on, but they were damn tight and didn't give me any more pop than the 40. I think the 38 would be your size. If you plan on getting bigger, than maybe a 40.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

  11. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,329
    Second to the metal briefs - you can't go wrong there.

Similar Threads

  1. Christian Thibaudeau's Modern Methods of Strength Training
    By silles in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 02:07 PM
  2. Westside 'Til You Die!
    By silles in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 05:49 AM
  3. The Squat
    By Reinier in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 02:15 PM
  4. What do you guys think of this routine...
    By Meat_Head in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-02-2003, 01:52 PM
  5. Smolov....Metal!
    By silles in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2003, 02:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •