Thread: Raw bench issue

Banned

Raw bench issue

Im having some issues with my Raw bench.Seems the heavier I go,the slower the weight comes down.Almost as if Im using my shirt.My technique is improving,but once I get to a certain weight,It goes to ****.Its costing me alot of pressing power.By the time it touches,Im outta gas.Anybody got any ideas how to fix this?

focus on bringing it down faster?

you want control over the weight but you don't want to do negative type training. focus on bringing all the weights down at the same speed, with the exception of some warmup sets. i believe this is a mental issue. no biggie!

let me know if i missed the point
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

If your doing a raw meet your going to have to pause it anyway. Make sure your super tight, but if your doing a paused raw meet then you really can't bring it down but so fast.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Yeah id say bring it down faster but try to still control it somewhat another words you dont want it to just fall.

are you doing any type of speed work every week? we always have a DE day to help with bar speed..

Banned
    When i do the same thing its usually I am "afraid" (or rather under confident) of the heavy weight. Just getting more comfortable with the weight and getting under it over and over again helps me and it might for you as well.

A lot of people slow down as the weight gets heavier...natural reaction. You want to increase the descent speed...a couple things can be used to do this. First, a speed day will help you learn to control weight by still letting it descend quickly....use some type of accomodating resistance though(chains or bands). Second, getting under heavier weights an still letting the weight descend quick is key..one way you can approach that is to start with a 4 brd and learn to move heavy weight fast...remove a board as you start to gain confidence with moving heavt weight fast..but only remove a brd when the weight is performed with enough speed..this may take some time..

also....technique is essential when doing this. You want to learn to release the arms while keeping the back very tight..this will give you the base and strength to reverse and power that weight back up.
    Last edited by bencher8; 07-28-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Try doing some speed bench. It should look something like this
    Video
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 07-28-2008 at 08:59 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

digging the Rush!
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Try doing some speed bench. It should look something like this
    Video
    So we should all use 315 for our speed day?

I tried. Mine doesn't move that fast hahaha.

Vin moves 325 like its butter

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Good god... he flinched and 3 reps later the video was over!

Banned
    I'm not an expert or anything but why not bounce the bar off your chest? Alot of people do it and they seem to be able to bench much heavier weights! lol

But seriously, speed work helps.

Banned
    Thanks guys.And yeah,I do some speed work and feel really comfortable with the weights.But as a few of you said,its a fear that the heavier I go,the less control I will have.This has to do with using different spotters too.I dont feel comfortable sometimes.

Wannabebig Member
    Try benching with bands in a three week wave on speed days. They teach you to stay tight and move the barbell fast! Also you can do some heavy benching every now and then with bands. This will make you more comfortable with heavy weight that go down fast! And again teaches you to stay tight!

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    Thanks guys.And yeah,I do some speed work and feel really comfortable with the weights.But as a few of you said,its a fear that the heavier I go,the less control I will have.This has to do with using different spotters too.I dont feel comfortable sometimes.
    Get over your fear. I used to got with my wife to her commercial gym once in a while. I would have her hand off 550 to me on the bench. On a raw bench I am confident I can give it enough of a push so a spotter can grab it if I get stuck. Plus train the spotter you are using that day. Make sure to have him lift off for you from light weight to heavy. Just comminucate. Good luck.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I know for me doing heavier lat work helped my raw bench. I had a similar problem to what you're describing. I would usually miss a raw lift by kind of collapsing in the bottom 1 - 2", so I'd really miss the lift on the negative. Heavy barbell rows and wide neutral grip pulldowns seem to have helped this for me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Get over your fear. I used to got with my wife to her commercial gym once in a while. I would have her hand off 550 to me on the bench. On a raw bench I am confident I can give it enough of a push so a spotter can grab it if I get stuck. Plus train the spotter you are using that day. Make sure to have him lift off for you from light weight to heavy. Just comminucate. Good luck.
    Ive actually trained my wife to be an excellent spot too big Vin.Problem is we work out at different times.This takes me back to my thread about seeking the right people out to train with.Its the missing equation for all my powerlifting dilemas.Ive sat on my ass about it way too long and its time for me to actually do something about it.I appreciate the help guys.

Not sure what the scedules are but Jesse Rodgers of the SPF is in Chattanooga area...Oak Ridge isnt far from there right? Also, I think Sam Byrd trains somewhere around there too..

I train at Cell Block, but they are in Manchester TN..prolly a bit of a drive for you, but not sure...I drive an hour each way to train in a decent environment.

Just a couple options that I know of...hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    Not sure what the scedules are but Jesse Rodgers of the SPF is in Chattanooga area...Oak Ridge isnt far from there right? Also, I think Sam Byrd trains somewhere around there too..

I train at Cell Block, but they are in Manchester TN..prolly a bit of a drive for you, but not sure...I drive an hour each way to train in a decent environment.

Just a couple options that I know of...hope it helps.
    Brent told me about the numbers you've been hitting lately Paul, INSANITY.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

ehh...ive hit 835 so far..thats all. All the other stuff Im doing is nothing till I can get a good one in on the platform...but thanks! Im working on it!

he said you were hitting 800 and some chains off some boards
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    you should have a speed day