The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deadlift Lockout

I've been having some serious problems locking out my deadlifts. My one rep is 345. I've done 360 half way, but the lockout part i just can't always stick. Is there any excercises that i can focus on mainly for this? I've been stuck at around the same weight for about a month now.
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps
    Squat ATG: 335x5
    Bench: 315x2
    Dead: 420x4

Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-He-wants-MOAR!\

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Rack Pulls, shrugs, deadlifts with bands, speed deadlifts

rack pulls; discover your sticking point and set the pins there

Banned
    Upper back work and glute work.

Rack pulls man. Do it from about 3 inches below your sticking point, and you should make some progress
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Rack pulls, just below the knee, against bands.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

When you do rack pulls, and you set the pins fairly high (because your sticking point is more than half way up), do you still try to bend your knees, or are you trying to work on your back?
    I guess it depends on why you are stuck, but my first guess is that anyone with a high sticking point is having trouble straightening out with the back, but he said he was having trouble with his lockout.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

Zen. The times i've done rack pulls i've bent my knees, Is this wrong?
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps

Journal:

Quote Originally Posted by fooz View Post
    Zen. The times i've done rack pulls i've bent my knees, Is this wrong?
    That's sorta what I am asking. If your form/posture is correct, I guess you should be arching your back enough that your knees do bend, but I'm not even sure if it would, depending on some variables like how far up you rack the weight and the length of your arms.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

Wannabebig Member
    The biggest thing I did to help my deadlift lockout was stretch my hip flexors. I could always pull weight to my knees, but it would just stop there. For a while I was told that my glutes were weak, but my raw squat was pretty decent and my oly squat was good too. Stretching the hip flexors opened me up quite a lot and long story short my pull went up about 50lbs in a couple months. I've never been a great deadlifter so this was big progress to me. I have a desk job, so most of the day I'm sitting and making the hip flexors tighter. The stretching took a month or so before I noticed a difference. I got the idea that it might be hip flexors from Jim Wendler. He was right. Good luck.

Banned
    What sort of stretching do you do for the hip flexors? I've had some sciatic issues in the past and I think it may partially be due to an imbalance in glutes/hip flexors.

What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Pop View Post
    The biggest thing I did to help my deadlift lockout was stretch my hip flexors. I could always pull weight to my knees, but it would just stop there. For a while I was told that my glutes were weak, but my raw squat was pretty decent and my oly squat was good too. Stretching the hip flexors opened me up quite a lot and long story short my pull went up about 50lbs in a couple months. I've never been a great deadlifter so this was big progress to me. I have a desk job, so most of the day I'm sitting and making the hip flexors tighter. The stretching took a month or so before I noticed a difference. I got the idea that it might be hip flexors from Jim Wendler. He was right. Good luck.
    Can you expand on what you ended up doing? Just normal static stretching. I've been told the exact same things, but never thought it might be hip flexor problems.

Wannabebig Member
    What have I been doing? Any static and/or dynamic stretch I could. I just did basic lunge while leaning backwards type stretches for most of it, later on I ended up doing it with the leg that has the knee down up against a wall, so it pulled even harder on the flexor (also the quad). It's not complicated; like I said, it took me over a month to notice a difference, then I just kept doing them.

Great advice guys, thanks!
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps

Journal:

I also read an article where Louie said that the toes should be straight forward (conventional) in order to get the hips through and help the lockout. I also read that many of the Finns say toes out. Any opinions on this guys???

rack pulls.. rack pulls with bands, rack pulls with chains, pulls with bands or chains..all of it! Those and good mornings really helped me yank the hell out of some heavy weights as I progress!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Banned
    Rack Pulls are good for overall strength, but not the lockout. The body is in a different position when pulling from the floor than it is when pulling from the pins. I use them for overall strength, but they do nothing for the lockout.

Bent Rows
    Power Squat
    Olympic Squat
    Box Squat
    Back Raises
    Heavy Ab Work

Make sure to do the Abs and Back Raises 2x per week. Pick 1-2 other exercises and use them for 2-3 months and see how it goes. If your lockout gets better, you've found what works. If not, try some different stuff. It won't happen overnight, so be prepared to work at it for several months.

The stretching is also huge. This will definately help.

Another thing, if you're a full meet lifter, make sure not to hinder your squat/bench progress by paying too much attention to your deadlift. Something will suffer if you focus too much on something else. Train everything like it's weak.

Set the weights on a 3-5 inch box and pull. Also reverse band pulls with the greens. Heavy ab work, heavy rows, and GMs. Don't neglect technique work. Often times a lockout may not be weak, its a problem with form or lack of speed off the deck.

Semper Fi

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    Cool - thanks bud. I knew that one, but wanted to see if someone reinvented the wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Cool - thanks bud. I knew that one, but wanted to see if someone reinvented the wheel
    Nothing new but if that stretch isn't enough, take a 10lbs plate and hold it with both hands over your head. The extra force down will provide a better stretch and pushing the hands over the head will give a bit more stretch, as well.
    What is elite?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    I also read an article where Louie said that the toes should be straight forward (conventional) in order to get the hips through and help the lockout. I also read that many of the Finns say toes out. Any opinions on this guys???
    I've found toes out works the best. Toes forward is great if your technique is flawless. Pointing the toes out a little gives a little room for error, in case your knees like to knock towards each other.
    What is elite?

anything that over loads the top end....shrugs...db rows....maybe your form sucks ass

Quote Originally Posted by douglasoh5 View Post
    anything that over loads the top end....shrugs...db rows....maybe your form sucks ass
    My form has gotten alot better, shouldn't be so much the case. I'm going to try this all out, thank you.
    19 5'7 235
    No Belt/Wraps

Journal: