The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squats : How deep is deep Enough

I've seen a lot of threads lately with people asking about squatting form and how deep is deep enough. I decided to take some pictures of what I believe would be the shallowest and deepest of squats. Shallowest as in basically parrallel.

This first picture is of the shallowest I would ever go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Another shallow squat.

Now for a deeper squat, this is the squat where when talking about maxing, I don't count it unless it's this low. So all you 15 year olds squatting 350+ pounds, I bet you're going low enough

We cant even see.
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

nevermind.

lol. Nice deep squat. Doesn't need to go that far to be legal, but still a nice squat.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

One Bad-A$$ MoFo!
    I always squat to at least parrallel or I dont count my rep.
    Current Lifts:
    Bench Press: 290
    Deadlift: 405
    Squat: 380
    Total:1075

Goals by September 2002:
    Bench Press: 300
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 450
    Total: 1185

The last pic is how deep I squat.
    No wonder your quads are so developed. You take a narrow stance when you squat Chasey.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Personally, I base my depth on my style. If I'm shooting for the max, I do it how it would be judged in a PL contest-- to parallel. I also use a much wider stance-- my feet are within an inch to 1/2 inch away from the power rack.

I do my ATF squats the way you did that last one. However, when my feet are in that narrow, I think stopping at parallel is a bad thing. It kills my knees if I *don't* go to the bottom.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

WOW

Wow thats mad low im 15 years old and i can barely get parell got any tips? Like i know the box squat and stuff but i just cant get parell w.out it. HAs anyone ever heard of hang cleans well i can touch my elbos to my knees with thoughs and come up easily. I dunno if hangcleans are something my coach thought up or if they r done by others, but if u dont know ill explain it.

-Justin

Use less weight FBG.

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Personally, I base my depth on my style. If I'm shooting for the max, I do it how it would be judged in a PL contest-- to parallel. I also use a much wider stance-- my feet are within an inch to 1/2 inch away from the power rack.

I do my ATF squats the way you did that last one. However, when my feet are in that narrow, I think stopping at parallel is a bad thing. It kills my knees if I *don't* go to the bottom.
    I agree with you completely, when shooting for a max in a PL contest a very wide stance is very benficial. But from a bodybuilding standpoint, I find that a close stance and a very deep squat is most beneficial.

Originally posted by BigChaseyChase

I agree with you completely, when shooting for a max in a PL contest a very wide stance is very benficial. But from a bodybuilding standpoint, I find that a close stance and a very deep squat is most beneficial.

"Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

The last picture is how I squat as well (as of the last few months). My stance is just about shoulder width. I find this to be almost necessary when I go that deep.

I agree, if I go that low with a wider stance, I get shin splints because of the angle my lower leg is at.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

I agree with you Chasey that a narrow stance is ace for BB purposes. For strength I take Masons approach.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

My approach? Actually, I just stood up and looked, and I guess I use a slighly narrower than shoulder width stance. For me, that is very narrow. When I was younger, and for many years, I squatted with a much wider stance. As for building the legs, my legs got very big with a wide stance, so I don't know that there is a great difference, although I do think the narrower stance may be better for leg size in the overall sense.

Sheesh, I was trying for once to be in agreement with ya'll.
    Well I will reword and say I use a shoulder width stance for strength purposes and for developing my quads I use a narrow stance.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

That's about as deep as I go in the last picture, but HOLY COW, that's one narrow stance. I think I'd fall over if I went that narrow. I actually have to go pretty wide to avoid my gut , and so my right knee can tollerate it.

That's awsome!

-t

One problem with squatting that low and that narrow of a stance is that it looks like your hams are resting on your calves which will put a LOT of stress on your patella and possible dislocation of your knee.

Another problem I have with squatting that low and narrow is that I can't keep my balance (fall backwards) unless I allow my torso to kind of come between my legs with a slightly wider than shoulder width stance. This is probably due to my lack of flexibility or I just have a wierd build...

Here is some good info on squatting safety and technique...
    Last edited by DaCypher; 03-26-2002 at 05:32 PM.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    If I do high bar squats, they look like the last pic there. I really hate those though.

I like real wide stance squats. Legal depth is never an issue for me. I should work on bringing my squat up if anything because I easily go past legal depth.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I go slightly below parrallel right now. I've gone ATF in the past and wouldn't think about trying it again (not right now at least).

I actually cut squats out of my routine so we'll see how that goes.

I squat that deep but with a wider stance. I also cheet and use a Smith Machine so I don't have the balance / flexability problems.

I don't think I could keep my heels on the floor going that deep w/o a Smith Machine.

Nice Home gym Chase!
    Three people can keep a secret so long as two of them are dead

- Benjamin Franklin

MACHINE
    In my powerlifting days, I used a very wide stance. Now I like to use slightly less than shoulder width and go about as deep as your last pic, but my mechanics and stance are much different, so it doesn't put the pressure on my knee joint like is apparent in your pic. I am not flexible enough to go that low without some help though, so I place 10 lb plates under my heels.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Cool gym.
    Push the envelope/Watch it bend.