Thread: Lengthening Triceps?

Wannabebig New Member

Lengthening Triceps?

I have been training hard for about a year now, with decent gains. The other day at the gym I was talking with the owner about triceps training. I showed him how my triceps don't appear to extend down to my elbow. He said I needed to "lengthen" the muscle, which would occur naturally with time.

Is he correct, or are there specific exercises I can do to speed up the process?

Thx,

Bunky

As far as I know, your muscle either grows or atrophies. I don't think you can change your muscular shape/structure.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

He's incorrect.

*cough* bull**** *cough*

Sorry Bunky. It's not going to happen. You might make your tricep "look" like it's gotten a little longer if you make it bigger, but you aren't going to actually make it longer.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Wannabebig New Member
    Sorry, maybe I phrased my question incorrectly. Let me try again.

When I extend my arm straight out, I have a noticible bulge from just below my shoulder to about 2 inches above my elbow. Directly above my elbow, on the backside of my arm, the muscle is quite a bit smaller. A lot smaller.

Is this from under-developing one of the heads of the muscle, genetics, or some other factor? How do I go about correcting this deficiency?

Thx,

Bunky

The length of your muscles is determined by origin and insertion points. In order to change those, you would need surgury to detach and reattach the tendons.

Few docs will do this for you, and I don't suggest you try it at home.

The person you spoke to in the gym is typical, unfortunately, of bodybuilders educated via the muscle rags instead of via physiology/anatomy texts and classes.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    do u have a pic? im still unsure whether u mean lengthening the "ice pick" part, or ur humerus?

they're both almost impossible, but, if u want to develop ur triceps otherwise, do heavy skull crushers.
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ!!!

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    The length of your muscles is determined by origin and insertion points. In order to change those, you would need surgury to detach and reattach the tendons.

Few docs will do this for you, and I don't suggest you try it at home.

Stagg is right, this is no way in hell that your friend is right. The only thing that you can do is build what you got and strecth it by strecthing. NOTHING else, is going to change the shape of the muscle.
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

Originally posted by bunky
    When I extend my arm straight out, I have a noticible bulge from just below my shoulder to about 2 inches above my elbow. Directly above my elbow, on the backside of my arm, the muscle is quite a bit smaller. A lot smaller.
    From your description this seems like the way triceps normally appear on everyone. That bulge in the middle of your arm when it's straight is natural. Check out basketball players and you'll see what I mean. Unless I misunderstood what you mean.

Just keep lifting bud.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

The "gap" between the triceps muscle belly and your elbow joint is the tendon portion of the muscle. You can't make the muscle extend into that area no matter what you do. This is determined by your genetics. A similar situation exists with the biceps. Some people want the biceps belly to come closer to the elbow joint. They think that by doing preacher curls it will fill out the lower portion of the biceps. Again, the muscle shape is determined by genetics, not the type of exercise you do. If somebody does think that they've filled out the biceps by doing preacher curls, they've probably just developed the underlying brachialis muscle instead.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Yeah. Like me, you've been screwed by genetics.

Or Cack.