The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Straps (yes, again)

I know this has been brought up often in the past but I don't think it has been thoroughly discussed.

The only reason I can see a need to not use straps is if you are a powerlifter and need to train according to powerlifting rules (i.e. no straps), so thats understandable. However, assuming you're not a powerlifter and your grip is your weakest point in, say, deadlifts (as many people that I know claim is their weak point), is there any reason NOT to use straps? I mean, why should you hold your body back if it can handle more weight while you wait for your gripi strength to catch up?

Say, for example, you can pull 400 pounds without straps, and 500 with them (obviously this would only happen if your grip is the weak point in your deadlifts). It seems like your legs, back, etc would be worked harder with 500 pounds than it would be with 400. Would there be any reason to NOT use straps in this situation (again, assuming you're not a powerlifter)? Would any of your reasoning be different for any other lifts (i.e. shrugs, pulldowns, rows, etc)?

I guess my real question is, are there any safety concerns that may be associated with the use of straps (as may be evident with the use a lifting belt)? If you are going to use straps it would also make sense to work your grip directly with some static holds, etc that may not be necessary if you don't use straps.

Just my opinion, just thought I'd throw that out there...
    Last edited by DaCypher; 03-26-2002 at 05:58 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Use the straps but do supplementary grip work (barbell holds etc.) and you'll be fine. There is no real reason not to use straps provided you give your grip adequate attention with other exercises. Eventually, no matter how strong you make your grip & forearm muscles, they won't be able to hold onto max poundages in lifts such as the deadlift. That is the main reason why the 1,000 lbs deadlift barrier has yet to be broken. MANY elite powerlifters have the back strength necessary, but its the grip that fails them. You don't want your back development to be arrested simply due to the comparatively weaker grip & forearm muscles, so use the straps & have fun but be sure to do supplementary grip work as well.
    Some guys have all the luck.
    Some guys have all the pain.
    Some guys get all the breaks.
    Some guys do nothing but complain.

-Rod Stewart

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    *Will keep his mouth shut since he is powerifter-biased*

For the record though, I have a decent deadlift for my bodyweight and I can hold approximately over 100 lbs over that number on static holds without doing them for too long.

I like the idea of having a strong grip.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Future Mr Olympia
    Straps are a waste of time. If you want to get strong try working without straps. It makes the workout harder and more effective and you will eventually work your way up to normal weight with your excercises
    The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves - Anonymous

Example:

If a person can deadlift 400 lbs with straps. And say 200 lbs without them.

Whats the point in him not doing using straps?

Don't know too many people that can get a 400 lb DL by only being able to hold on to 200 lbs.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Yea seriously. If the person can't hold 200 lbs, he really needs to do something about that grip.
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by AMP 33
    Straps are a waste of time. If you want to get strong try working without straps. It makes the workout harder and more effective and you will eventually work your way up to normal weight with your excercises
    I have worked without straps for a long time. But my strength and mass increased dramatically after using straps because my grip wasn't holding me back (obviously my grip strength sucks). So now I've been giving more attention to grip strength training. I don't see the point in holding my body back while I wait for my grip strength to catch up...

MACHINE
    I agree. I use straps with heavy deadlifts because at 10+ reps with 400+ pounds my grip gives out. I have a strong grip, but it just can't handle that much. If I was only doing one rep(maxing out) I'd have no problem, but the weight and the duration of the set requires I use straps. Like was said before, waiting for grip strength to catch up is not worth sacrificing weight IMO, unless you are a powerlifter. Even then though, a powerlifter only has to hold onto the weight for one rep in a competition, and I doubt that many people are unable to hold onto their max for only one rep.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

I have to use straps. If I didn't, I literally wouldn't be able to hold more than 10 pounds on the bar. And I cannot increase my grip strength at all.

Scratch that, actually. Before, I couldn't even hold the bar. I've increased quite a bit, but without the straps, I'd never be able to do deads - or rows or pulldowns for that matter.

With the straps I've worked my way from DLing about 60 pounds to doing my bodyweight (220). It sucks to be me. I wil never have strong hands. My forearms look like a 9 year old girl's.
    There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back.

*smack*

What's the matter with you? Use a mixed grip and chalk for deads. I can hold well over twice your bodyweght and I'm tiny. I have small hands too so don't try that excuse.
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Motivational quote time:

"You are only as strong as your weakest link"
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by LATMAN
    *smack*

What's the matter with you? Use a mixed grip and chalk for deads. I can hold well over twice your bodyweght and I'm tiny. I have small hands too so don't try that excuse.
    As far as the doctor's can tell, it's either hypermobile joint disorder, or some new strain of Marfan's or Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. That's what's the matter with me, if that's excuse enough for you. After doing a set of deads it takes the entire rest period just to be able to close my hand, reset the straps and go again.

Bo knows pain, lemme tell ya. If I could have one wish granted it would be normal hands that I could use for something. My arms will probably always be puny because my hands won't support enough weight to work my tris and bis. I've learned to live with it, but it REALLY ticks me off when people whine about how they can never get a body part to grow.

But I also count my blessings since I'm not paraplegic or anything. Being able to go into the gym and do anything is a blessing.

I'm working on designing a special strap system that will take my hands out of the equation for certain exercises. I'm hoping that will help.
    There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, it's impossible to turn back.

I think that's a good enough reason, yeah.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Sorry to hear that man. It's amazing that even with the straps you can still hold that weight! How does it affect oher lifts? Like pressing movements?
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Sorry to hear that man. It's amazing that even with the straps you can still hold that weight! How does it affect oher lifts? Like pressing movements?
    It's cool dude. It sucks like ALL Hell, but I've learned to deal with it. And the last thing I want to do is turn this thread into a pity party. I'm embarrassed to admit how little I can lift, but it's better than sitting on my butt like I used to do because it was "too hard".

What it amounts to is I have to spend 4 times the effort and time in the gym to make 1/2 the gains of another person. At least. But I've dropped almost 10 pant sizes in a year of weightlifting and I'm stronger than I have ever been. In spite of my "personal setback" I wrestled in high school and practice a grappling martial art. I find ways to do what I want to do.

And 'll be damned if I'll stop trying. I love deadlifting!

Pressing movements are just ok. It's the pull movements that can't do. I'm practically living for the day I can do a pullup, even WITH straps. The day I can do it unaided, if ever, will be the day I declare myself Emporer of Earth and change my name to the Merciless Ming

Wannabebig Member
    Some people just have a weak grip and there is no reason they should let their back development fall by the wayside because of this. Eventually your back strength will FAR outpace grip strength, no matter how strong your hands are. It has to do with the number and size of the muscles in the back as opposed to the fingers and forearms. That being side it is still very important to work grip but unless a person is a competitive powerlifter, there is no reason not to use straps as long as supplementary exercises are used for grip development. I can't see the logic behind knowingly hindering the development of some of the strongest muscles in the body in hopes that the grip will somehow catch up, when it is pretty much impossible that a person's grip will ever match their back strength. That's why powerlifters have easily gone over 1,000 with the aid of hooks & straps but the deadlift record is still in the 900's. Tht being said, deadlifting with both hands pronated is probably the better choice for the non-competitive lifter. Using the mixed grip can put uneven pressure on the spine ( a reason why Gilingham switched to the overhand grip) and a person is in far greater risk of a biceps tear that way as way. The number of bicep tears to the supinated arm that powerlifters have gotten from using the mixed grip are almost legendary in number. Besides that, both hands pronated is a far better grip developer as well.
    Some guys have all the luck.
    Some guys have all the pain.
    Some guys get all the breaks.
    Some guys do nothing but complain.

-Rod Stewart

3:16
    I think climate and the quality of the bar in your gym are also important.
    the bars at my gym are poor grip, my hand can even slip on heavy bench.
    I sweat quite easily, in the summer on a humid day this is worse, so my grip weakens a lot as a result.
    If you trian in cold days and a have a good bar to grip, you are less likely to need straps.

If your not a powerlifter I would not hesitate to use straps as why hinder back developments.
    plus even when using straps I still have to grip the wieght. the heavier I go, the more effort I still use to grip the bar. Its not like my straps take all the weight of the bar.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Sweaty hands? Use chalk, which I forgot to do today

Motivational quote time:

"You are only as strong as your weakest link"
    I would definetly follow that philosophy if I were a powerlifter...

motivational quote time

a man with big forarms and a small back. will get accused of you know what!

aimed at bbers.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

FREAKZILLA
    Jerking off too much???
    Thier's no one finer the Scott Stiener- Scott Stiener

Big Poppa Pump is your hook-up holla if ya hear me- Scott Stiener

Damn it feels good to be a Gangsta.....

BBers have big forearms and small backs?
    Obstacles are what you see when you take your mind off the goal.
    -Unknown

Energy and persistence conquer all things.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by DaCypher
    BBers have big forearms and small backs?
    I was saying why limit back development when no one wins bb comp with a good grip strenght.