Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: has anyone read the book "The New High Intesity Training"?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member wrestling2091's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    miami, FL
    Posts
    33

    has anyone read the book "The New High Intesity Training"?

    i was wonder if anyone read THE NEW HIGH INTESITY TRAINING by Ellington Darden. if anyone has read it i have a couple question that maybe you guys could help me out with.

    and if u dont have the book i really recommend getting it. it is based on the 1970's training foundamentals that was invented by Arthur Jones. its a great book.
    Height: 5ft 8in
    weight: 140lbs

    Bench: 170 max
    Squat: 210 max

    Be charitable, lift harder for those who can't!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    963
    Not a very good book. Half is spent telling stories about Arthur Jones, who the author worships like a god, the other half on the fairly poorly thought out principles of HIT.

  3. #3
    Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Yeongsan. South Korea
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestling2091 View Post
    i was wonder if anyone read THE NEW HIGH INTESITY TRAINING by Ellington Darden. if anyone has read it i have a couple question that maybe you guys could help me out with.

    and if u dont have the book i really recommend getting it. it is based on the 1970's training foundamentals that was invented by Arthur Jones. its a great book.
    It has a few good points...but I'd prefer Starting Strength or Beyond Brawn. Better principles all around.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7,644
    I have an older edition from the late 80s (I think). I liked it then - not so much now. HIT is fine as a method, but not as a system. There have been a lot of heated discussions about it here (and all over the internet) in the past and I'm certainly not trying to relive those - do a search and you'll find all you could ever want on the subject.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    Wannabebig Member 3whitelights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    HIT is fine as a method, but not as a system.
    HIT is THE best system ever for anyone to do accomplish any kind of body composition goal. Ever. Forever ever.

    I have this book as well as a few of his other ones, but I haven't really looked through them much. Ellington Darden has a buttload of experience and knowledge in his head, so I'm sure there are some great ideas, exercises, etc that could be used/applied, but overall there may be better ways to achieve your goals.

  6. #6
    Wannabebig Member wrestling2091's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    miami, FL
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by 3whitelights View Post
    HIT is THE best system ever for anyone to do accomplish any kind of body composition goal. Ever. Forever ever.

    I have this book as well as a few of his other ones, but I haven't really looked through them much. Ellington Darden has a buttload of experience and knowledge in his head, so I'm sure there are some great ideas, exercises, etc that could be used/applied, but overall there may be better ways to achieve your goals.
    if im just starting the rountine, can i use the specilized hit rountines, or is that only for the advanced lifters?
    Height: 5ft 8in
    weight: 140lbs

    Bench: 170 max
    Squat: 210 max

    Be charitable, lift harder for those who can't!!!

  7. #7
    Wannabebig Member 3whitelights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestling2091 View Post
    if im just starting the rountine, can i use the specilized hit rountines, or is that only for the advanced lifters?
    You could use them, but is it really optimal? Do you really need an arm specialization routine for your goals?

  8. #8
    The Flyfisher rbtrout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    So. Cal.
    Posts
    2,154
    I didn't care much for it. Too much ado about Aurthur Jones. Starting Strength, in my opinion, is much better.
    Give chalk a chance.


    49 years old

    665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Similar Threads

  1. Amount of protein
    By syntekz in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 03:51 PM
  2. Lou Ferrigno's Opinion Of PUMPING IRON In His Book..
    By MonStar1023 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-08-2002, 03:21 PM
  3. Help!!! I need a good book to read!
    By Jane in forum General Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-03-2001, 02:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •