Thread: has anyone read the book "The New High Intesity Training"?

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member wrestling2091's Avatar

has anyone read the book "The New High Intesity Training"?

i was wonder if anyone read THE NEW HIGH INTESITY TRAINING by Ellington Darden. if anyone has read it i have a couple question that maybe you guys could help me out with.

and if u dont have the book i really recommend getting it. it is based on the 1970's training foundamentals that was invented by Arthur Jones. its a great book.
    Height: 5ft 8in
    weight: 140lbs

Bench: 170 max
    Squat: 210 max

Be charitable, lift harder for those who can't!!!

Not a very good book. Half is spent telling stories about Arthur Jones, who the author worships like a god, the other half on the fairly poorly thought out principles of HIT.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestling2091 View Post
    i was wonder if anyone read THE NEW HIGH INTESITY TRAINING by Ellington Darden. if anyone has read it i have a couple question that maybe you guys could help me out with.

and if u dont have the book i really recommend getting it. it is based on the 1970's training foundamentals that was invented by Arthur Jones. its a great book.
    It has a few good points...but I'd prefer Starting Strength or Beyond Brawn. Better principles all around.

I have an older edition from the late 80s (I think). I liked it then - not so much now. HIT is fine as a method, but not as a system. There have been a lot of heated discussions about it here (and all over the internet) in the past and I'm certainly not trying to relive those - do a search and you'll find all you could ever want on the subject.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    HIT is fine as a method, but not as a system.
    HIT is THE best system ever for anyone to do accomplish any kind of body composition goal. Ever. Forever ever.

I have this book as well as a few of his other ones, but I haven't really looked through them much. Ellington Darden has a buttload of experience and knowledge in his head, so I'm sure there are some great ideas, exercises, etc that could be used/applied, but overall there may be better ways to achieve your goals.

Wannabebig Member wrestling2091's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3whitelights View Post
    HIT is THE best system ever for anyone to do accomplish any kind of body composition goal. Ever. Forever ever.

I have this book as well as a few of his other ones, but I haven't really looked through them much. Ellington Darden has a buttload of experience and knowledge in his head, so I'm sure there are some great ideas, exercises, etc that could be used/applied, but overall there may be better ways to achieve your goals.
    if im just starting the rountine, can i use the specilized hit rountines, or is that only for the advanced lifters?
    Height: 5ft 8in
    weight: 140lbs

Bench: 170 max
    Squat: 210 max

Be charitable, lift harder for those who can't!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wrestling2091 View Post
    if im just starting the rountine, can i use the specilized hit rountines, or is that only for the advanced lifters?
    You could use them, but is it really optimal? Do you really need an arm specialization routine for your goals?

I didn't care much for it. Too much ado about Aurthur Jones. Starting Strength, in my opinion, is much better.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench