Hey,
    Im 17
    163 pounds
    6 foot.

Usually I work out 2 groups of muscles a day: So forth:
    Chest and Ab's
    Back and Arms (Bicept/Tricept Forearms)
    Shoulder and Legs
    And Repeat with a day of break and what not. All solid work outs that last 1 minimum usually 2 hours.

I supplement Protein, and cycle on and off creatine. I sometimes before workouts take a high energy drink to get everything really going, so forth.

But what I need to focus on is Chest and especially bench-press. I wana get a higher weight, unfortunately that is a big indicator especially in High-School. My body has a nice tone look but Im not all for looks I play sports and coaches want strength.

Im working on my bench-press, currently this is what I do for my chest routine,

Flat Bench:
    Warm-Up 95 pounds 10 times
    First set 135 -8 times
    Second 155 -4 times
    Third 165- 2 times
    Fourth 185 -1-2 times.

I psyc myself up for that last set, take a couple minutes from the third set, get a drink of water, get angry and push that bar.

Now I realize that I might be able to squeeze another rep or maybe 5 pounds more out if I skip out on so many extra sets before hand. But than I wouldn't be training and I would be checking what my max is. Ill show you a general test for what my max is after I give the rest of my workout.

My next sets are inclined and declined bench press same as above but with no warm-up and a little bit less weight.

Than I move on to the "Peck Deck" and a cable cross machine. 3 sets back and forth with a rest time in between each set.

Than last I finish up with a dumb bell bench with a twist.

I ocassionaly switch one or two up depending if I go with a buddy for a spot or not, If not would sub in with machines for most the other, I always make it a priority for bench tho to grab someone to spot for the later sets.

If Im testing for my maximum than I would go something like this:
    Warmup 95 x 5
    135 x4
    165 x1
    Than hit up like 185 and havnt tried yet 195 or 190.

I havn't been making as much progress as I'd like, what would you guys recomend, I tried to give a description of my situation, feel free to ask away!
    Last edited by mattc908; 08-05-2008 at 08:55 PM.

My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Rippetoe's. Do it.

Dare I ask, is Rippetoe's really all you guys make it out to be? I re-started lifting about 2.5 months ago, and just now (past 3 weeks) am getting decent gains. Would you still suggest the Rippetoe's workout?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mattc908 View Post
    Now I realize that I might be able to squeeze another rep or maybe 5 pounds more out if I skip out on so many extra sets before hand. But than I wouldn't be training and I would be checking what my max is.
    I disagree with your "but that wouldn't be training" comment. Doing more weight than you've done before trains your central nervous system so you can do more weight. I'm not suggesting you do this every workout, but you need to do it occasionally if your goal is to push more weight.

Than I move on to the "Peck Deck" and a cable cross machine. 3 sets back and forth with a rest time in between each set.

Than last I finish up with a dumb bell bench with a twist.
    Too much volume, IMHO. If you want your bench to increase, bench and forget the peck deck and cable cross machine.

I havn't been making as much progress as I'd like, what would you guys recomend, I tried to give a description of my situation, feel free to ask away!
    Make sure you technique is right. Have somebody who knows what they're doing watch your form.

bicep

tricep

rippetoe
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 08-06-2008 at 09:36 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah I go to the gym usually once a week with a once powerlifter, so we do neat chest things like chains that you attach to the ends you guys know what Im talking about, Negatives (put more weight than I can handle but he helps move it along). Some other things as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Rippetoe's. Do it.
    With proper nutrition and rest this routine is great I added incline db press and oh db press just for stability work but that's it. Check out my journal I rarely eat what I need to and check the gains I've had in just 3 weeks or so. Just lift heavy.
    |A:26 | H:6'5'' | W:198| GW: 215|
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 135lb |170lb| 225lb
    Squat: 135lb |185lb| 225lb
    Dead: 180 |185lb| 315lb
    OH Press: 85lb |100lb| 150lb
    (all 3 x 5 reps)