Thread: U.S Coast Guard

U.S Coast Guard

Any Coasties on this board?

How's the enlisted life? Hows the food? How well is it organized? How are the chicks? Which base are you station @?

In January I will have my associates degree (finally), and I'm really leaning towards enlisting into the Coast Guard. Personally I prefer it out of the other military branches, mainly because it isn't combat oriented and my chances aren't very high of being deployed to the desert.

Right now I'm all hyped up on trying out to be a rescue swimmer. Even if I don't successfully achieve that goal I have plans B and C- all involve the Coast Guard.

I think it would be great for someone like me who @ 21 (22 on the thirteenth) has no direction in life regarding a career, etc. etc. LIFE LIFE LIFE lol

This would also lead me to change my current lifestyle and diet. I'm pretty excited as you can tell.
    i bleed oil

"but seriously dude georgeous women reside everywhere, go look and ****" - BigCorey75

You enlist anything military right now chances are you're going to the desert; I don't care what the recruiters promise you. When you sign that contract you are officially property of Bush and Company. I question the motive behind joining the military now but trying to shy away from combat. Its like saying I want to be a police officer but I don't want to ever have to give out a ticket.
    Last edited by blackboard; 08-09-2008 at 12:14 PM.

I wannabebig!
    military isn't something to do because you feel you just have no other direction in life.

figure out what it is you like/want to do, pursue it, and stop being lazy.

I've always had the bug for the military. This is not something I just thought of. I'm not joining as a last resort either... I just think the Coast Guard is as aperfect fit for me right now. I will have a 2 year degree, and I have no clue what I want to get my bachelors degree(pretty mcuh my CAREER) in. I really don't enjoy school either. So i figure to I enlist and travel, learn new skills, meet new people, and help out OUR COUNTRY.

the coast guard isn't in the desert, and if they are it is not a prominent number...and i'm not trying to shy away from combat but it certainly is aplus that the coast guard isn't COMBAT ORIENTED.
    Last edited by thoughtshewas18; 08-09-2008 at 12:18 PM.
    i bleed oil

"but seriously dude georgeous women reside everywhere, go look and ****" - BigCorey75

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtshewas18 View Post
    I've always had the bug for the military. This is not something I just thought of. I'm not joining as a last resort either... I just think the Coast Guard is as aperfect fit for me right now. I will have a 2 year degree, and I have no clue what I want to get my bachelors degree(pretty mcuh my CAREER) in. I really don't enjoy school either. So i figure to I enlist and travel, learn new skills, meet new people, and help out OUR COUNTRY.

the coast guard isn't in the desert, and if they are it is not a prominent number...and i'm not trying to shy away from combat but it certainly is aplus that the coast guard isn't COMBAT ORIENTED.
    I will say it one more time, any Branch of Military Service right now can easily equal Iraq including Coast Guards. I wouldn't think about joining the Military right now unless you're prepared to fight. If I was in your shoes, I would stay in school. Signing up for the Military is very serious and no matter how long you sign up for the gov't will control you in fine print for the next 8 years.

Gamer/Lifter
    Your right, the govw ill control you for the next 8 years but you get benefits that other poeple don't get. First off in the military theres a flying program called Space A, where you can fly for free to any part of the world on military lanes providing they are going there and there is space. Your promised a paycheck for the next 8 years at least, if you do your 20 your promised a check for as long as you live, if you die before your spouse they get the check. Your given the best medical, your housing is paid for you, they pay to move you to where they need you, you get to see the world. You also get all kinds of speacil benefits from various companies. Like my company speacliized in selling to military personel and we crush other dealers.

Military will also pay for your education, you can even get your wifes, and kids education paid for as well. For example my dad got me $80,000 to go college iwth through the GI Bill cause he can pass the benefits on to me.

There are many benefits to joining the military, could end up in Iraq? Yes, but ask anyone they will tell you worry about Afgainstain more. Can you get shot? Die? Wounded? Mained? Abousetly, but you serve your country, and your country serves you. Theres benefits and perks to it, theres also the part where you state your iwlling to give the ultimate scarfice. However not everyone does it, in fact mots don't. In fact many in the military don't even see combat. However do your research and don't get your information from a recuiter. Ask other military personel. They'll tell you straight up.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

I'm going by how the topic starter stated his case for going Military. From My observation he isn't enlisting to serve his country during a time of war. Its more of an 2 year adventure until he finds himself. My point, this isn't really the best time to join any part of the military just to reap its benefits if you're trying to avoid combat. After your tour you could be disabled for life etc. Stay in School

Hmmm. Being "owned" by the government for 8 years, or being in debt for taking out college loans for the rest of your life. I think I'd rather be owned by the government.
    Last edited by CaptainMorgan; 08-09-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    It seems to me that alot of you do not understand the Coast Guard Yes they are run by the Government but they are not being used in mass force over in Iraq and other parts of the world. Mainly becuase they are sea and air rescue oriented. Not fighting.They are being used for port secuity a tiny bit. I believe there are some Cutters over there. But not in mass. The original poster is likely to stay on United States soil. Especially if he does achieve being a rescue swimmer(no easy task). There primary uses are Life Saving helping stranded or malfunctioning vessels they are also being used in "The War Agianst Drgus"( what happened to that war?).

I say do it I have several friends in the Coast guard right now. They love it.

hey buddy i'm not afraid of combat, lol. if in the coast guard I am deployed to Iraq, I will proudly go.

JEREMY how are they used in terms of the war against drugs? That is so cool, I wonder if any are equipped with firearms??? are they???
    i bleed oil

I've heard that, given the number of vessels the CG has, that you're more likely to a command of your own quicker, if that's what you're going for.

Whatever you choose, thanks for serving our county, young man!

And yes, they have firearms. A friend of mine did maritime drug interdiction on the Harriet Lane for several years. Standing behind a m-60 on the bow of a ship was probably pretty cool!
    Last edited by Willie; 08-09-2008 at 10:54 PM.
    "This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."
    -Tyler Durden

I wannabebig!
    hey buddy i'm not afraid of combat, lol. if in the coast guard I am deployed to Iraq, I will proudly go.

JEREMY how are they used in terms of the war against drugs? That is so cool, I wonder if any are equipped with firearms??? are they???
    they do a lot of patrolling for big and small time guys trafficking drugs. Having been in the military and deployed many times I have never seen a coast guard overseas unless it was just for a short stop over.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage View Post
    Having been in the military and deployed many times I have never seen a coast guard overseas unless it was just for a short stop over.
    Steven, the CG has some guys over in the box. I'm not sure exactly how they're being utilized, but I've talked with some people who have made reference to the CG playing a role, at least in the ports.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Well choose your words more carefully next time. In your first post you said.
    " I'm really leaning towards enlisting into the Coast Guard. Personally I prefer it out of the other military branches, mainly because it isn't combat oriented and my chances aren't very high of being deployed to the desert".

I'm not trying to be mean but you need to understand the reality of the military. Once you sign that contract the Govt can switch your job at a moments notice and you could be in Iraq or doing some job you didn't sign up for.

Please don't sign up because you think its cool, the chicks, your diet or because you have no directions in life. Change your diet, and find your direction in life on your own. My advice would be to stay in school but if you do sign up make sure you're 100% committed to Military life vs the Coast Guard just sounding cool.

Combat Infantryman
    http://www.defenselink.mil/news/news....aspx?id=29375

You can't pass your GI Bill on unless you have 36 months of post 9/11 service (active duty) and that doesn't start until 2010 just an FYI.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

Gamer/Lifter
    I know, my dads been in for 7 years pack 9/11 needless to say he qualifies.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Steven, the CG has some guys over in the box. I'm not sure exactly how they're being utilized, but I've talked with some people who have made reference to the CG playing a role, at least in the ports.
    yah, the only place ive ever seen or met one was at a port