The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    327

    sniffing ammonia

    anyone here do this before a big lift? I've seen some videos of powerlifters doing it, looks crazy. what exactly does it do?

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    The Project KarstenDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,560
    It takes away any thought, all you do is lift. Also, adrenaline.
    Last edited by KarstenDD; 08-09-2008 at 03:05 PM.
    Roll Tide.

  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,903
    it is actually a magical pill derived by the Nazi's in 1938 to help them win the war....shhhhhhh don't tell anyone

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    World Gym, San Diego
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by roots View Post
    anyone here do this before a big lift? I've seen some videos of powerlifters doing it, looks crazy. what exactly does it do?
    I sniff a bottle of ammonia before I hit a big lift.

    My favorite product by far is Nose Tork.

    AK

  6. #5
    APT Sponsored Lifter Jason Pegg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    74
    I smash that **** all the time! Ive used it on road trips when I feel a bit sleepy. Just bust a cap and good to go for another couple hours! As Addison said Nose Torl>ammonia caps too.

    Jason

  7. #6
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    I can't do it at a meet. I get jacked up enough just on my own, but I HAVE to be able to think when I'm benching.

    it does seem to work well for some, just be careful. Snort too much and you can actually pass out. I watched a guy snort too much and he passed out just as he took the weight out from the racks. Dropped 600lbs right on his collar bone. Not good.

    *edit I should add this won't happen to most people. He cupped his hands around the bottle and then huffed it for quite a few deep breaths through his nose
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 08-09-2008 at 06:00 PM.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  8. #7
    TJW Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    3,238
    I'm being lazy right now and not looking it up, but is it harmful at all?
    Age: 24 Height: 5'9" Weight: 185

    Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

    People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

    The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    523
    Many guys use it. I prefer the caps as you can sniff it then get rid of it right away. One use of smelling salts are used to help revive people that are passed out, I have never seen anyone pass out due to their use but have seen many gain full consciousness due to their use at least in part. They are certainly not for a beginner.

    Semper Fi

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    3,101
    I use them before I take a dump.

    Actually I rarely use them lifting at all. I take a more calm approach to lifting, visualizing my lifts and getting pumped that way as opposed to getting pumped up with adrenaline. To each their own.
    I think Hatley does it to wake up in the morning. He needs to be put on the patch hahah though he is doing much better now. He used to do it like 2 sets out of a PR sometimes

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rock Falls IL
    Posts
    740
    I use nose tork all the time. I think I just like the smell. LOL! It helps clear thoughts and cinus problems which enables me to get big air before a big lift.

  12. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    World Gym, San Diego
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I'm being lazy right now and not looking it up, but is it harmful at all?
    I don't think it's "healthy" for you

    One of the guys in my training crew is a lung and abdomen surgeon and he uses it, so I can't imagine its too bad for you.

    AK

  13. #12
    Senior Member BFGUITAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,620
    Ammonia is VERY toxic. If there is enough of it in our blood stream it will cause our blood to become too basic which results in alkalosis which leads to death. But that's why it is so offensive to us. A tiny tiny bit of ammonia triggers our receptors in our nose and that sends a powerful signal to our brain saying "THERE IS AMMONIA IN THE AREA GET THE **** OUT!!!!!". So while it feels like hell sniffing it, in reality your not taking in that much but rather it is so anti-life our bodies have learned to react strongly to even a little bit of the substance.

    It's funny... we get rid of our ammonia waste in the form of urea. This is because peeing out ammonia is well... dangerous to our health. A pile of ammonia isn't good at all. Fish on the other hand don't excrete urea but instead ammonia. Because they are in water it can be diluted very easily.
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 08-09-2008 at 08:04 PM.

  14. #13
    Meow CleverName's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    407
    We have a few bottles at my gym and I'll use them sometimes for deadlifting but I don't feel they help much. It's very short lived for me. I'll sniff it, cough, get a headrush for maybe a second, and be back to normal. Guess it doesn't help that I'm rarely psyched up to begin with... but I think they smell good, so I like it.

  15. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    World Gym, San Diego
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Ammonia is VERY toxic. If there is enough of it in our blood stream it will cause our blood to become too basic which results in alkalosis which leads to death. But that's why it is so offensive to us. A tiny tiny bit of ammonia triggers our receptors in our nose and that sends a powerful signal to our brain saying "THERE IS AMMONIA IN THE AREA GET THE **** OUT!!!!!". So while it feels like hell sniffing it, in reality your not taking in that much but rather it is so anti-life our bodies have learned to react strongly to even a little bit of the substance.

    It's funny... we get rid of our ammonia waste in the form of urea. This is because peeing out ammonia is well... dangerous to our health. A pile of ammonia isn't good at all. Fish on the other hand don't excrete urea but instead ammonia. Because they are in water it can be diluted very easily.
    I couldn't decipher your opinion on its use?

    AK

  16. #15
    SOS 242 lifter Sean Hatley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    KCMO
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    I use them before I take a dump.

    Actually I rarely use them lifting at all. I take a more calm approach to lifting, visualizing my lifts and getting pumped that way as opposed to getting pumped up with adrenaline. To each their own.
    I think Hatley does it to wake up in the morning. He needs to be put on the patch hahah though he is doing much better now. He used to do it like 2 sets out of a PR sometimes
    I dont have a problem..... actually havent used any for like 2 months i think. Since that last meet.
    Member of Society of Strength (Best Gym In Kansas City)
    We Cant Stop Here. This is Bat Country.
    Introduce a little Anarchy. Upset the established order. Then everything becomes Chaos.

  17. #16
    GFH Lones Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,863
    i hardly use the stuff because i always forget to order it, or i'll be like 5 bucks?! no way!

    i do like the head rush and the fact that it pumps me up. i don't think it should make you compromise your form though. there is too much to think about when squatting and benching.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

    825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

  18. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    3,101
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    i hardly use the stuff because i always forget to order it, or i'll be like 5 bucks?! no way!

    i do like the head rush and the fact that it pumps me up. i don't think it should make you compromise your form though. there is too much to think about when squatting and benching.
    I've actually passed a tab around before a hockey game on the bench. I think they liked it.

  19. #18
    Senior Member BFGUITAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,620
    Quote Originally Posted by Addison K. View Post
    I couldn't decipher your opinion on its use?

    AK
    You smell it and it tells your body there's something the **** wrong because you are around an extremely toxic chemical. Thus you get the rush.

  20. #19
    Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    LI,NY
    Posts
    9,267
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    You smell it and it tells your body there's something the **** wrong because you are around an extremely toxic chemical. Thus you get the rush.
    LOL. So YAY or NAY?
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

  21. #20
    SOS 242 lifter Sean Hatley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    KCMO
    Posts
    288
    Amonia tabs are great for passed out drunk friends.
    Member of Society of Strength (Best Gym In Kansas City)
    We Cant Stop Here. This is Bat Country.
    Introduce a little Anarchy. Upset the established order. Then everything becomes Chaos.

  22. #21
    Senior Member BFGUITAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,620
    It's fine as long as you don't inhale a lot (more than you could bare to) of it or eat it.

  23. #22
    Senior Member BFGUITAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,620
    Why don't oly lifter take a whiff of this stuff before a lift?

  24. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    3,101
    My guess is because its such a technical lift. Plus, it might not be allowed on the platform and you see how long their set up takes sometimes.

  25. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    World Gym, San Diego
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hatley View Post
    Amonia tabs are great for passed out drunk friends.


    I will keep this in mine!

    AK

  26. #25
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Illinois University/Zenzen Barbell
    Posts
    51
    I've seen some weird things with ammonia. I was at Chicago Summer Bash 5 and seen Putt Houston crack two ammonia capsules and put both real close to eye's and then sniffed both capsules. I think thats just going a bit far, but that's just me. He made some good lifts at that competition. I'm a nosetork guy, always got to use it on my big lifts.
    Last edited by TankOfTeamStone; 08-10-2008 at 03:09 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Ammonia Smell during exercise
    By Ritzol in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-16-2007, 04:23 PM
  2. Ammonia Smell and Cardio
    By muscle chic in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 01:59 PM
  3. What's so special about Ammonia?
    By Max-Mex in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 09:32 AM
  4. Sniffing Ammonia before lifting WTF?
    By Saint Patrick in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 07:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •