The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

my knees are real sore from squats

Hey All,

I know squats are the foundation of strength and size with other lifts, I even have gained loads of strength, so i can support this

now to my issue, I have had sore knees for months on and off and left to right, also recently Ive been doing rippetoes and have had a real heavy last couple of weeks which I think has caused this,

Right Now my left knee is real stuffed up, when I leave it bent like in a car it starts to really hurt and I need to stretch it out but cant cause im in a car, when I stand it does not hurt but any pressure what so ever and it really hurts, my right knee is the same to a degree like near parallel, my knees also click more than anything now

My tech has been awesome and deep to full squats lately, is it possible that my knees dont like full, even though there ment to be better for the knee

I want to take a few weeks off from and direct knee bending work, squats, I know nothing can replace the squat but i want something that i can do in place of the squat for a few weeks

Thanks Cya
    Bodyweight : 195 - Height: 5' 9

Current lifts:
    DL - 490 x 1 - 462 x 4 ... Nearly 500 so close
    BS - 374 x 1 - 330 x 5
    BP - 302 x 1 - 258 x 5, 225 x 10
    BR - 231 x 1 - 209 x 5
    PP - 220 x 1 - 198 x 4

My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=108252&page=3

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

could it be that your pushing more with the front of your feet rather than using your heels? anyway when your knees hurt, its time to give it a break. take some anti inflammatories like iboprofen or aspirin to reduce possible inflammation try not to exert too much pressure on them til you feel they are getting better.
    It all comes down to "Light W e i g h t... babeh!", "Ain't nuthin but a peanut!" and "Yeahhhhh buddy!" - Ronnie Coleman

It's all about the benjamins....

And so it came to pass...

Weight: 85kg/13 Stone

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kornmong View Post
    My tech has been awesome and deep to full squats lately, is it possible that my knees dont like full, even though there ment to be better for the knee
    Going deep in itself doesn't mean your form is right. You can still be up on your toes, or letting your knees move to the inside, among other things. Have somebody who knows what they're doing look at your form, or post a video.

Ok sorry I should have been more in depth about my form, I have had it checked, my knees stay in line with my feet, they aim slighlty out with a medium stance and my heels stay on the ground,

I do have a have some videos in my journal if you care to look, there on the last pages, link in sig,

now that I've watched myself again for the billionth time lol, I see my knees come right over my toes, I think this is bad but I don't know how to stop this if it is, this may be it, I'm still going to have a few weeks of it still though

Current lifts:
    BS - 374 x 1 - 330 x 5
    BR - 231 x 1 - 209 x 5
    PP - 220 x 1 - 198 x 4

Banned
    Your knees are still coming in bro, push them out to the side. See if that helps. Watch fuzzy's video, and you will notice he is driving his knees out on the way up.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=113847

I have this same problem. I don't think mine is related to squatting, though. I definitely feel the pain when warming up during squats, but it goes away once I get loose.

I've had that same type of knee pain off and on (the knee bent in the car thing, etc.) since I was about 7 or 8 years old. Other than being annoying, it's never really given me any problems. They don't hurt when I walk or run, only when they are bent for an extended period of time, and not even always then. Like I said, it comes and goes, especially in the winter. It's really weird, I know. Is this something that has just come upon you recently or have you had this problem for awhile (like I spoke about in reference to myself)? I'm just curious.

Jesse, have you tried neoprene knee sleeves? They are great for helping a person keep their knees warmer during the workout.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Knees bent a long time, winter, during warmups, it just sounds like you need to keep the knees warmer.

edit - nevermind, Travis won... this time......
    Last edited by Reko; 08-11-2008 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Jesse, have you tried neoprene knee sleeves? They are great for helping a person keep their knees warmer during the workout.
    Travis, I have not tried them. Where can you get them? Thanks for the idea, brother. I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Knees bent a long time, winter, during warmups, it just sounds like you need to keep the knees warmer.

edit - nevermind, Travis won... this time......

You're probably right, Reko. I do notice more irritation when they are cold. Thanks for the tip, man! I appreciate your time.

These are the top of the line. They are awesome and the same stuff as what most strongman competitors will wear because they last a very long time

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Just an FYI - APT sells the Rehband sleeves now also.

hmmm lol on the seconf video they do seem to buckle in a little, Can that really be the source of all this pain, I really doubt but ill see what you people say

Current lifts:
    BS - 374 x 1 - 330 x 5
    BR - 231 x 1 - 209 x 5
    PP - 220 x 1 - 198 x 4

Side-profile videos aren't very useful for judging form. Can't see jack. Take another from 45 degrees behind.

So theres nothing wrong with my knees coming forwards or cant that be helped, no said anything about it

Current lifts:
    BS - 374 x 1 - 330 x 5
    BR - 231 x 1 - 209 x 5
    PP - 220 x 1 - 198 x 4

Your knees coming forward isn't bad for your knees as long as they track over your toes. Like Reko said, focus on pushing your knees out to the sides.

Now, if your knees are coming too far forward it is going to limit the amount of weight you can lift because you're taking tension off your hamstrings.

Banned
    APT sells the new Rehband sleeves, I think Jackyls still has the old style.

Banned
    So theres nothing wrong with my knees coming forwards or cant that be helped, no said anything about it
    if you want to go down all the way a la oly squat, your knees have to come forward otherwise you can't get down and will tip over forwards trying to make depth. I don't know if the knees coming in is the source but it looks a little more than 'buckling' to me, and that is where I would start. Get them pushed out and then go from there.

Hey all,

I taken nearly 2 weeks off squats and they still go on and of with soreness, Im really starting to get annoyed because I really want to squat but I want to do it in comfort like anyone and ive been to the doctors already about 6 weeks ago and he couldnt find anything in a check up but it really does hurt

I was playing with my knee cap today, When I put pressure on the inner topmost part of the left cap oh it hurts lol and when I put and pressure on while standing,

What am I to do?

Ive been doing much better at shoulder presses and bench while not squating but Id still like to squat

Thanks Cya

Current lifts:
    BS - 374 x 1 - 330 x 5
    BR - 231 x 1 - 209 x 5
    PP - 220 x 1 - 198 x 4

Ive taken pain killers twice while having sore knees and its completly stopped the pain and annoyance/discomfort, could I take pain killers before gym on squat days or would this cause further damge because I cant feel the damage im causeing if any

Thanks Cya

Current lifts:
    BS - 374 x 1 - 330 x 5
    BR - 231 x 1 - 209 x 5
    PP - 220 x 1 - 198 x 4

Ive taken pain killers twice while having sore knees and its completly stopped the pain and annoyance/discomfort, could I take pain killers before gym on squat days or would this cause further damge because I cant feel the damage im causeing if any

Thanks Cya

Think about what you just said and you have your answer.

Just get under the bar!

I know but I really want an answer as you can see

Current lifts:
    BS - 374 x 1 - 330 x 5
    BR - 231 x 1 - 209 x 5
    PP - 220 x 1 - 198 x 4

If there's pain, you should address the cause of the pain, not cover it up. Pain is an indication that there is something wrong.

I have tryed to address it, the doctor said no problem so I continued for a couple of weeks but the pain got stayed, so I took time of my self now at just 2 weeks of no squats it still unconfortable! and its really starting to sadden me

It does however come and go from day to day, I have no strenous work so its not that

Current lifts:
    BS - 374 x 1 - 330 x 5
    BR - 231 x 1 - 209 x 5
    PP - 220 x 1 - 198 x 4

Your knees definitely come in a little, and honestly your knees coming over your toes a bit at a full depth squat isn't a problem, but yours look like they're coming too far forward to me (it could be the angle of the video, of course), too much of the weight is in the front of your foot though. Also, it doesn't look like you're sitting back at all or even really breaking at the hips first, you don't need to sit back like you're squatting to a box, but you'll put more of the load on your hips and hammies if you sit back into it a bit. Lastly, you need to get tighter under the bar so you can transfer that force from your legs more effectively- look at your second video when you unrack the weight- do you see how your hips are wobbling around before you get in there? Get tight.

One more thing you might want to do is google some stretches for your hips- your IT band and some of those smaller side-ass muscles take a beating when you squat, and that'll definitely contribute to some knee pain. Also, depending on which pain killers you're taking (if it's ibuprofen or a similar anti-inflammatory) some of the pain relief might be due to the reduced swelling. You're doing well, and I don't want you to think this is me being hypercritical- I'm just trying to point out little things that you could improve that should help your knees out a bit. Good luck.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Hey thanks, Very informitve answer I will take note, I did have another look at my videos and I see a few faults which you have spotted with others, my knees do come in quite a bit (now that I know its a problem I can see it very much lol) and I also noticed that I did do a sprial wobble before I went down on that second vid, I will look up some stretches for my hip and or IT band and do the required stretches

Thanks and I have been infomation satisfied for now haha

Thanks Cya

Current lifts:
    BS - 374 x 1 - 330 x 5
    BR - 231 x 1 - 209 x 5
    PP - 220 x 1 - 198 x 4