Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Incline Press better for bodybuilding then Bench Press

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    0

    Incline Press better for bodybuilding then Bench Press

    Since I've stopped Incline Press as my main chest movement, for the last 2 months, my chest has suffered in shape and size, the Bench Press is nothing compared to Inclines for chest development for bodybuilding purposes IMO. How do you guys feel?
    Every workout is a new battle
    and I always win

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    963
    I disagree.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    I disagree.
    Elobarate please.

    Also have you ever given Incline Pressing priority for chest training and focused on bringing up your poundages on it for at least a 8-10week period to see if it really does work better then flat benching? If you haven't then you can't really comment, because I need answers from people who have done both for a reasonable duration and effort.

    Thanks
    Every workout is a new battle
    and I always win

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    963
    Incline bench press places the pecs in a biomechanically weaker position than the flat bench press. This is akin to arguing that low-bar back squats are greater for quad development than front squats.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    163
    Incline presses place more stress on the upper pecs directly.This is why its important to incorporate flat and inclines for max pec development.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Incline bench press places the pecs in a biomechanically weaker position than the flat bench press. This is akin to arguing that low-bar back squats are greater for quad development than front squats.
    Are you speaking for yourself? or would this be your conclusion for everyone? Incline Press puts much more size on my chest then Flat.
    Every workout is a new battle
    and I always win

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by powerrack View Post
    Are you speaking for yourself? or would this be your conclusion for everyone? Incline Press puts much more size on my chest then Flat.
    Am I missing something here, why is it either or, do both.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilles1975 View Post
    Am I missing something here, why is it either or, do both.
    I'm not saying you can't do both, however I'm talking about priority here for bodybuilding purposes. I find incline works best for me as my main movement, I usually follow up with either flat db or barbell press.
    Every workout is a new battle
    and I always win

  9. #9
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    I completely disagree. My chest has suffered from doing inclines instead of flat bench...

    I'm starting to believe that decline is the best overall chest exercise. When I do incline, or even flat bench, my front deltoids get hammered. They're much much bigger than my actual chest. Until now, I've never done any serious decline exercises, and when I do, my chest actually feels sore and not my front delts, unlike before when it was all delts and even shoulders getting most of the work.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  10. #10
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    then just do it. We've had this argument before guys


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Western Canada
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    then just do it. We've had this argument before guys
    Hey man I wrote the post more for those guys stuck in the flat bench only syndrome who are bodybuilding. They should give incline a decent go and maybe they'll see some growth. Wasn't looking for arguments.

    And you are right, once you figure out what works well for you, then just do it!
    Every workout is a new battle
    and I always win

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    Incline presses place more stress on the upper pecs directly.This is why its important to incorporate flat and inclines for max pec development.
    Not bashing incline presses, but it has been shown that they do not activate the upper portion of the chest any more than flat or decline bench press.

  13. #13
    Westside Bencher Travis Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Westside Barbell, OH
    Posts
    8,920
    Quote Originally Posted by powerrack View Post
    Hey man I wrote the post more for those guys stuck in the flat bench only syndrome who are bodybuilding. They should give incline a decent go and maybe they'll see some growth. Wasn't looking for arguments.

    And you are right, once you figure out what works well for you, then just do it!
    well just so you know, what you say isn't exactly true. But if it works for you thats fine. This subject has been hashed over plenty enough already in other threads. If you have an opinion thats cool, but don't state it as fact because it is not.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Similar Threads

  1. my bench is horrible
    By jtteg_x in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 12:44 PM
  2. The Bench Press
    By Adam in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 11:46 AM
  3. Flat, Incline and Decline Bench Press ?
    By GMAN in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-02-2005, 02:06 AM
  4. westside
    By kr632 in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 03:30 PM
  5. What do you guys think of this routine...
    By Meat_Head in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-02-2003, 01:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •