Thread: Incline Press better for bodybuilding then Bench Press

Incline Press better for bodybuilding then Bench Press

Since I've stopped Incline Press as my main chest movement, for the last 2 months, my chest has suffered in shape and size, the Bench Press is nothing compared to Inclines for chest development for bodybuilding purposes IMO. How do you guys feel?
    Every workout is a new battle
    and I always win

I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    I disagree.
    Elobarate please.

Also have you ever given Incline Pressing priority for chest training and focused on bringing up your poundages on it for at least a 8-10week period to see if it really does work better then flat benching? If you haven't then you can't really comment, because I need answers from people who have done both for a reasonable duration and effort.

Thanks
    and I always win

Incline bench press places the pecs in a biomechanically weaker position than the flat bench press. This is akin to arguing that low-bar back squats are greater for quad development than front squats.

Banned
    Incline presses place more stress on the upper pecs directly.This is why its important to incorporate flat and inclines for max pec development.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Incline bench press places the pecs in a biomechanically weaker position than the flat bench press. This is akin to arguing that low-bar back squats are greater for quad development than front squats.
    Are you speaking for yourself? or would this be your conclusion for everyone? Incline Press puts much more size on my chest then Flat.
    and I always win

Quote Originally Posted by powerrack View Post
    Are you speaking for yourself? or would this be your conclusion for everyone? Incline Press puts much more size on my chest then Flat.
    Am I missing something here, why is it either or, do both.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles1975 View Post
    Am I missing something here, why is it either or, do both.
    I'm not saying you can't do both, however I'm talking about priority here for bodybuilding purposes. I find incline works best for me as my main movement, I usually follow up with either flat db or barbell press.
    and I always win

I completely disagree. My chest has suffered from doing inclines instead of flat bench...

I'm starting to believe that decline is the best overall chest exercise. When I do incline, or even flat bench, my front deltoids get hammered. They're much much bigger than my actual chest. Until now, I've never done any serious decline exercises, and when I do, my chest actually feels sore and not my front delts, unlike before when it was all delts and even shoulders getting most of the work.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

then just do it. We've had this argument before guys

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    then just do it. We've had this argument before guys
    Hey man I wrote the post more for those guys stuck in the flat bench only syndrome who are bodybuilding. They should give incline a decent go and maybe they'll see some growth. Wasn't looking for arguments.

And you are right, once you figure out what works well for you, then just do it!
    and I always win

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    Incline presses place more stress on the upper pecs directly.This is why its important to incorporate flat and inclines for max pec development.
    Not bashing incline presses, but it has been shown that they do not activate the upper portion of the chest any more than flat or decline bench press.

Quote Originally Posted by powerrack View Post
    Hey man I wrote the post more for those guys stuck in the flat bench only syndrome who are bodybuilding. They should give incline a decent go and maybe they'll see some growth. Wasn't looking for arguments.

And you are right, once you figure out what works well for you, then just do it!
    well just so you know, what you say isn't exactly true. But if it works for you thats fine. This subject has been hashed over plenty enough already in other threads. If you have an opinion thats cool, but don't state it as fact because it is not.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym