Thread: replacement for bench press:

replacement for bench press:

Does anyone feel that benchpress could be replaced/taken out of a routine assuming the primary focus turned into other heavy compound exercises such as heavy OH presses and weighted dips.

This of course is assuming the key to a big bench is tri's, shoulders, lats, a stable foundation while on the bench, not the pecs.

I personally love/hate the exercise but this is just an idea. Fuzzy tried touching on this a few months ago I believe but I think the idea got shot down.

Let me know what you think.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Bench Press, back rows and squats are the cornerstones. Leave well alone I say.

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    I thoroughly agree!
    Deads, Squats, Pull downs, OH Press and cleans

Benching is great....if you want a big bench!
    The only reason I am currently benching is because 2 guys I lift with are going to police academy and need a 70% bodyweight bench and one of them is almost 450 (he's 6'8'')

Bench is a staple in lifting, like deads, squats and rows. Keep doing it.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    I understand where you are coming from, and it does not surprise me that Fuzzy, being an oly lifter, would be against the move. Look at many great sportsmen, olympic weightlifters, javelin throwers, etc. They don't train the bench. The bench is good depending on your goals and for me, being a PLer, it is a staple of my routine however it certainly has its disadvantages regarding shoulder inflexiblity, and muscle inbalances (the rotator cuffs).

Also I feel it is more 'macho' to do standing exercises: standing military press, squat, deadlift, etc. as opposed to lying on one's backside. Strongmen regularly train with standing exercises, perhaps for this reason, perhaps because more muscles are involved when standing or perhaps for a combination of those reasons and others.

All of this is certainly interesting, but I still bench and I feel that regarding the majority of people's goals, unless you are training to be an oly lifter or something, the bench press is within their best interests. As for your question, no, I simply don't think that there is an exercise that works the chest as well as the bench. If you were to check my threads, you will notice that I have asked a similar question. Dips are more of a triceps exercise, and OH press, a shoulder exercise.
    Last edited by AJ_H; 08-13-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Its horizontal pressing. Thats it. You can do incline, decline, flat, close grip, DB, whatever you like but I think there needs to be some sort of horizontal pressing.
    Sarvamangalam!

What are you asking? If you can take bench out and still bench big? Maybe, it depends on your weakpoints, and it won't be optimal.

I use bench variations as supplemental exercises for my overhead press. My focus is close grip, reverse grip, and 2 board, but my goal is strictly a big overhead press.

I don't think there is really any need to bench unless you are planning to compete in powerlifting. It's a good upperbody exercise, but standing OHP is certainly more functional and if you're only going to do one it should probably be the latter.

There is nothing wrong with emphasizing the press over bench press, but removing the bench press entirely is a mistake. It's an absolute staple exercise in building upper-body strength, and you won't be as strong without it, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    There is nothing wrong with emphasizing the press over bench press, but removing the bench press entirely is a mistake. It's an absolute staple exercise in building upper-body strength, and you won't be as strong without it, period.
    agreed! keep horizontal pressing of any kind
    Sarvamangalam!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    Does anyone feel that benchpress could be replaced/taken out of a routine assuming the primary focus turned into other heavy compound exercises such as heavy OH presses and weighted dips.

This of course is assuming the key to a big bench is tri's, shoulders, lats, a stable foundation while on the bench, not the pecs.

I personally love/hate the exercise but this is just an idea. Fuzzy tried touching on this a few months ago I believe but I think the idea got shot down.

Let me know what you think.

It completely depends on your goals. If you want a big bench though, then I feel you must bench. If you want to get stronger at a movement, then there is no substitute for actually doing the movement.

Personally I think the bench is overrated...for anything but getting a big bench as the deadlift is a better upper body movement for strength, and along with OH lifts is a more functional and real world movement.

But for developing the chest to the maximum I believe the bench is a MUST.