Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anything wrong with doing this split?

Banned

anything wrong with doing this split?

got a comment in my journal so here goes...

monday-chest/tris

tuesday-back/bis

wednesday-legs

thursday or friday-shoulders/traps

anything wrong with doing this? i have already upped the weight since last week and am pretty sure this is one of the most common splits`

Do you ever stick with a split?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Do you ever stick with a split?
    yea i was on this for about 8 months until this summer, lost gym access.

now im headin back for hopefully a long time.

its pretty much what got my bench from 95 to 235

edit - the way i switch up the routine is exchange barbell exercises for dumbbell every 4 weeks
    Last edited by frank; 08-12-2008 at 08:35 PM.

Here's a template:

Squat
    Row
    Flat Press

DL
    OH Press
    Pull up

Front Squat
    SLDL
    OPT- Whatever you want or need help on

5x5 & Heavy. These are basic compound movements that will build the most muscle. By having low volume you can go all out on every one of them. You will be a strong mfer if you can dominate these lifts.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 08-12-2008 at 08:50 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Here's a template:

Squat
    Row
    Flat Press

DL
    OH Press
    Pull up

Front Squat
    SLDL
    OPT- Whatever you want or need help on

5x5 & Heavy. These are basic compound movements that will build the most muscle. By having low volume you can go all out on every one of them. You will be a strong mfer if you can dominate these lifts.
    Ok three things....

1.Do this routine^
    2.Do this routine^
    3.Do this routine^
    The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very
    act. Go. - H. Rollins

Banned
    not tryin to be a jerk but i didnt post this in the powerlifting forum...

that routine didnt do anything for me, i tried it for 3 months...

Quote Originally Posted by Bendthe Bar View Post
    Ok three things....

1.Do this routine^
    2.Do this routine^
    3.Do this routine^
    is that rippletoes routine?

Then you aren't training hard enough and no routine will solve that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    No, but it's fairly similar.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Zen, what does OPT stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    Most certainly not Rippletoes

Sorry, I'm being an ass.
    The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very
    act. Go. - H. Rollins

Kinda a newb question lol but what is OPT?.?
    Zen said OPT- whatever you need help on.

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by patrick3217 View Post
    Kinda a newb question lol but what is OPT?.?
    Zen said OPT- whatever you need help on.

Thx

-Option-

Where you think you require an assistance exercise say a certain body part which you think requires strengthening to help with main lifts.
    act. Go. - H. Rollins

Wannabebig Member
    it means optional, i.e you do an exercise to aid you in an area you need help in as far as i can tell from zen's countless other posts where he suggest this routine. i.e if you have trouble locking out during bench press then do a tricep exercise is an example used i believe.

EDIT : damn beaten to it whilst typing lol
    Last edited by chris1991; 08-13-2008 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post

Why do people assume that a good routine based primarily on heavy, compound exercises is "powerlifting".

That's just how you build muscle. I believe the goal of both powerlifters and bodybuilders is to build muscle isn't it? Powerlifters focus mainly on strength whereas bodybuilders focus mainly on looks, but they both come down to building muscle don't they?

I don't understand how doing heavy compound lifts, and consistently trying to increase the weight of those lifts did NOTHING for you.

Honestly if THAT workout didn't do anything for you, then a silly bodypart split won't do s*** either.

So many bodybuilders have this crazy idea in their head that if they want to look all big and ripped then they absolutely must do something DIFFERENT then basic heavy compound exercises, otherwise they will become big fat powerlifters.

Maybe if they put a medicine ball on an incline bench and do 20 chest flies it will fill out the upper pecs more, huh?

For some reason they think that lifting lighter weights for more reps and isolating muscle groups and doing 3 different exercises for each "bodypart" is the magic trick to getting all big and ripped.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Why do people assume that a good routine based primarily on heavy, compound exercises is "powerlifting".

That's just how you build muscle. I believe the goal of both powerlifters and bodybuilders is to build muscle isn't it? Powerlifters focus mainly on strength whereas bodybuilders focus mainly on looks, but they both come down to building muscle don't they?

I don't understand how doing heavy compound lifts, and consistently trying to increase the weight of those lifts did NOTHING for you.

Honestly if THAT workout didn't do anything for you, then a silly bodypart split won't do s*** either.

So many bodybuilders have this crazy idea in their head that if they want to look all big and ripped then they absolutely must do something DIFFERENT then basic heavy compound exercises, otherwise they will become big fat powerlifters.

Maybe if they put a medicine ball on an incline bench and do 20 chest flies it will fill out the upper pecs more, huh?

For some reason they think that lifting lighter weights for more reps and isolating muscle groups and doing 3 different exercises for each "bodypart" is the magic trick to getting all big and ripped.
    Can the medicine ball work my lower, left/southwestern bottom end region of my peotoralis major ???

Enthusiasts think super-high repetitions work because some morons read muscle magazines like the words were spoken by the ebony goddess Oprah herself.

I think the whole 5x5 rep scheme is a bit one-dimensional. If hypertrophy is your goal I would advise you to do two exercise per bodypart, do the first one in the 8-12 rep range and the second in the 5-6 rep range.
    Or you can pyramid as I do. For instance when I bench press I do 1x12 1x10 1x8 2x6, increasing the weight each time.
    Some people will say you can grow as much with a low rep routine, but in my experience that's BS. Pyramiding is the best thing I've tried for hypertrophy.
    The different results you will get with various rep schemes is marginal, and diet is the most important factor, but I will take any small margin I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by markdk86 View Post
    Can the medicine ball work my lower, left/southwestern bottom end region of my peotoralis major ???
    No the medicine ball will only hit the lower left/southEASTERN region. .

Quote Originally Posted by Gilles1975 View Post
    I think the whole 5x5 rep scheme is a bit one-dimensional. If hypertrophy is your goal I would advise you to do two exercise per bodypart, do the first one in the 8-12 rep range and the second in the 5-6 rep range.
    Or you can pyramid as I do. For instance when I bench press I do 1x12 1x10 1x8 2x6, increasing the weight each time.
    Some people will say you can grow as much with a low rep routine, but in my experience that's BS. Pyramiding is the best thing I've tried for hypertrophy.
    The different results you will get with various rep schemes is marginal, and diet is the most important factor, but I will take any small margin I can get.
    It's not the 5x5 thing that's important. Basically, anything over 10 reps is using weight that's too light. 5 to 8 reps seems to be ideal for both strength and size gains from my experience, but there really is no magical rep range. It's all about just continuously pushing yourself to move more weight.

This is not new information, but so many people fail to grasp the concept that it's the big compound lifts with steadily increasing weight that builds the muscle. Which is exactly why I have no idea why that suggested routine DID NOT WORK for the OP.

How on earth will heavy squats, deads, OH presses, bench press, pull-ups and rows NOT work, but some sort of bodypart split with a bunch of added isolation exercises WILL WORK?

I dunno, I guess tricep kickbacks would be the key.

Currently Obsessed with Sq

You need to try a routine a hell of a lot longer than that!

Five things:
    1. Eat, goddamn it
    2. Rest
    3. Lift heavy
    4. Lift with good form
    5. Stick with it.

Your not getting bigger most likely because your lacking in one of these.
    Last edited by AJ_H; 08-13-2008 at 11:13 AM.

How on earth will heavy squats, deads, OH presses, bench press, pull-ups and rows NOT work, but some sort of bodypart split with a bunch of added isolation exercises WILL WORK?

I dunno, I guess tricep kickbacks would be the key.
    OP either had a ****ty diet or hasn't been lifting long enough to be able to lift heavy enough to stimulate growth with low volume, or both. If the weights are increasing from week to week, I wouldn't change anything even if the routine sucks, as long as everything is getting worked sufficiently.

you still have yet to respond to this:

While I agree that his routine aint great, your thinking on this is over-simplified.

5x5 on everything, is the word plateau not in your vocabulary.

And yeah I'm looking for a fight
    Warrant for Simplification:

1. Lower volume on major compound lifts means more focus and energy available to use on the compound lifts -means more muscle development since compound lifts build the most muscle

2. Lower volume is safer for a beginner since form is less likely to fail during the learning process of taxing lifts such as squats, dls etc.

3. Low 5x5 set/rep schemes and compound focus allow for a solid foundation to be build for the lifter to work from. I bet someone who does ONLY compound lifts like the ones in that split or any variation of that split would have better results short and long term than someone following a "BB split". c.p.

4. Very few people exhaust linear periodization and it works great. I am willing to bet the OP has not exhausted gains from linear periodization much less linear periodization with a decent routine.

So while I understand the word "Plateau" I question your knowledge of the definition insofar as it applies to lifting.

So please, tell me why a beginner should not do something as simple as what I suggest.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 08-13-2008 at 01:34 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

I had a long rant here about this quote but I dont think it will help. If the OP wants help he will take it. Just don't be dissin that split cause it would own you if you really did it.

The OPT means option. For example,

Need lockout power? Do some tricep movements
    Need speed outta the hole? do some hamstrings or DE Squats etc...
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 08-13-2008 at 12:35 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!