The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deadlifts and Squats in the same week?

Is it better to have deadlifts in squats in the same week on different days, deadlifting every week, or is it better do cycle deadlifts and squats on a leg day (squats for 2 weeks, deads for 1 week)? I seem to have trouble with my quad (squat and leg press) workouts causing 3 days of intense DOMS. Usually this is not a problem but I deadlift today and my quads are still fairly sore. I think it's mostly the leg press causing the DOMS. Quad day was Wednesday and today is Saturday and it's leg day. Maybe I should move quads back to Tuesday since the DOMS I get from deads only seems to last a day or two, which would give me 120 hours to recover from quads instead of 96.
    Last edited by OGROK; 08-16-2008 at 11:02 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I do deads on back day.

You are going to have to experiment with what works best for you. Have you been making gains on your big 3? What is your split?
    Sarvamangalam!

I did ripptoes SS literally at least 4 times a week. I sometimes even did 5.

For those who don't know, thats squatting 5 times a week heavy and deadlifting 2-3 times a week heavy. I made some decent gains and really helped with my form (so much frequency will do that). I ate a **** load of food as well. You can do it, but you need to learn to have that much frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    You are going to have to experiment with what works best for you. Have you been making gains on your big 3? What is your split?
    Yeah I make gains on the big 3. My split currently looks something like this, the only difference was that I did quads on day 2 instead of day 5 which might have been the problem since that decreases my recovery time from them by 24hrs.

Day 1: Chest/Biceps
    Day 2: Lower Back/Hamstrings/Abs (Deadlifts and SLDLs and Good Mornings)
    Day 3: Shoulders/Triceps
    Day 4: Upper Back/Traps
    Day 5: Quads/Calves
    Day 6: Off
    Day 7: Off

Maybe if I added an extra off day after Lower/Hamstring day for an 8 day rotation that might work better, giving me some extra time to recover before hitting the overlapping days.
    Last edited by OGROK; 08-16-2008 at 06:26 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Exactly.You can do them on the same day,or same week,alternating weeks.I seem to gain more on my deads doing them every other week.On the alternate weeks I do t-bars or dumbell rows.Im still experimenting.Its tough on the lower back to do them on the same day but some guys swear by it.I definitely squat every week in some form though.

Banned
    I don't know about your sepcific situation, but my deadlift shot up when I started squatting 3x per week and deadlifting once.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    I don't know about your sepcific situation, but my deadlift shot up when I started squatting 3x per week and deadlifting once.
    Right on. My first 5X5 I nearly doubled my deads.
    I currently do a 4 day body part split, which most people say isn't good. It's working for me.

Where you're at now, a 5X5 might be the ticket.

Squatting a couple of times a week (say Mon & Fri) and deads on Wed. certainly wouldn't hurt, but it depends on how quickly you recover.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

It really depends on your level of adaptation. What are your stats and how long have you been training?

If you start training your lower body more frequently, I bet you'll stop getting DOMS in a couple of workouts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Right on. My first 5X5 I nearly doubled my deads.
    I currently do a 4 day body part split, which most people say isn't good. It's working for me.

Where you're at now, a 5X5 might be the ticket.

Squatting a couple of times a week (say Mon & Fri) and deads on Wed. certainly wouldn't hurt, but it depends on how quickly you recover.
    Ive also gotten into a 4 day split.2 on 1 off ,2 on 2 off.Ive combined powerllifting and bodybuilding for the first time.Definitiely emphasizing the powerlifting.Mine looks like this...

ME Bench
    Incline presses
    Triceps( 2 exercises)

Deadlifts
    Lat work,or rows
    Hypers
    Biceps(2 exercises)

OFF

Military press
    front/side raises or one arm grapplers
    Shrugs or upright rows
    Close grip bench or another tricep exercise

ME squat
    Stiff legs
    pull throughs
    abs

Its basically chest/tris
    back/bis
    delts/traps/ris
    Legs/low back/abs

You could look at my third day as bench assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    It really depends on your level of adaptation. What are your stats and how long have you been training?

If you start training your lower body more frequently, I bet you'll stop getting DOMS in a couple of workouts.
    Im squatting 3 times a week M/W/F with Deads on the Wed too. You sleep at night put it that way.

DOMS are almost gone completely.
    The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very
    act. Go. - H. Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    me too. also I think heavy-ass SLDLs helped tons too.
    Sarvamangalam!

I don't know how some of you guys squat that often. What the ****s, my legs fell like they've barely recovered when I go to hit them again the next week. I think if I tried deadlifting twice a week my back would grow a mouth and scream at me.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I don't know how some of you guys squat that often. What the ****s, my legs fell like they've barely recovered when I go to hit them again the next week. I think if I tried deadlifting twice a week my back would grow a mouth and scream at me.
    Starting Strength is balls out, but it's for beginners. Try doing a recovery day where all you do is a few light sets to get the blood flowing. I doubted it at first but it works incredibly well!

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Beginners can recover from a heavy (for them) session in a couple of days, because the weight they are lifting is so small compared to their body's potential.

Obviously, once you start getting more advanced and closer to your potential, you're lifting heavier weights and your body takes longer to recover.

Starting Strength is such a great routine for beginners because it takes advantage of the quick recovery period available to novices. The routine is not well-suited for those that require greater stress (ie: heavier weights, more volume, etc.) to cause adaptation because their recovery period is longer than the couple of days between heavy workouts.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 08-20-2008 at 08:17 AM.