Thread: A week out from my first meet....

Hybrid View

Banned

A week out from my first meet....

Im competing in my first powerlifting meet ( it's push/pull, no squats ) in a week. I was just wondering what other people do a week before a meet. Do you workout normally, or lower the intensity, or just rest?

Also right now I weigh about 267, should I try to gain a few pounds, or would it not make enough of a difference? I doubt I could eat enough to be more than 275 in a week, so I don't think I have to worry about ending up in another weight class.

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    Im competing in my first powerlifting meet ( it's push/pull, no squats ) in a week. I was just wondering what other people do a week before a meet. Do you workout normally, or lower the intensity, or just rest?

Also right now I weigh about 267, should I try to gain a few pounds, or would it not make enough of a difference? I doubt I could eat enough to be more than 275 in a week, so I don't think I have to worry about ending up in another weight class.

Here are 10 great competition bp tips that I have learned over the years:

1. Your last heavy bench press workout should be 7-10 days before your next bp competition.

2. Use no more than 80% max because if you do a Max Single within a week to 10 days of the Meet, you can automatically take 5% to 7% off that amount for your max on meet day.

3. 1-3 weeks before a bench press meet you can't get that much stronger, but you sure can get a lot weaker.

4. Ice your elbows 2-3 times before your bench press competition.

5. Your bp will suffer the most when you loose wt. You can plan on losing about 3 lbs from your bp per lb. of bwt lost AFTER the first 3 lbs of lost bwt. The lighter you are the more dramatic the effects.

6. Increase protein intake to increase recuperation.

7. Get a lot more sleep/rest.

8. Visualize the meet and your attempts.

9. Go over your meet equipment check list.

10. Have fun.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN

Wannabebig Member
    gain some weight. eat, sleep, relax and eat. make sure you pack everything you need a couple days in advance. then get there early and have fun. good luck

Yeah, gain some weight. Drink lots of Gatorade. It's an easy way to get extra calories. I would go in and train very lightly on Wednesday. Just get the body moving. Do a little bench, a few pulldowns and a little leg work. The best advice I can give is the night before the meet do not try to go to bed too early. Make sure you are dog tired before you turn in. Most find that if they go to sleep too early they are very restless or wake up way too early and can't get back to sleep.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Yeah, gain some weight. Drink lots of Gatorade. It's an easy way to get extra calories. I would go in and train very lightly on Wednesday. Just get the body moving. Do a little bench, a few pulldowns and a little leg work. The best advice I can give is the night before the meet do not try to go to bed too early. Make sure you are dog tired before you turn in. Most find that if they go to sleep too early they are very restless or wake up way too early and can't get back to sleep.
    great advice here.

don't worry about your weight, eat all you want. its your first meet.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I've only done 3 meets (all in the last year) but have had success taking the entire week off before the meet. I stopped squats/deads almost 2 weeks prior. When they finally came around, I wasn't overtrained and felt strong. The worst part was not being able to lift!
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!

Quote Originally Posted by Buccos1 View Post
    I've only done 3 meets (all in the last year) but have had success taking the entire week off before the meet. I stopped squats/deads almost 2 weeks prior. When they finally came around, I wasn't overtrained and felt strong. The worst part was not being able to lift!
    yeah, i prefer taking a week off and doing a deload week before that.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Good Luck!! I have my frist in a couple months and I am looking forward to it. I'm doing the push/pull until my squat gets better. JT's advice is sound, he's a good man and has helped me a lot.

Illinimeats