The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Jared's Log

Jared's Log

About Me:

Hey everybody, I'm a new user here. I've been lifting for about 2 years, but I've only gotten serious about at the start of '08. I'm currently playing football (safety/wide receiver) which will be done with in some time, but I'd like to start planning ahead so that I can maximize my gains as soon as I get out. Coming into football I found that I'm one of the stronger skilled players, but also one of the slowest, and in some cases, one of the less explosive ones.

It's worth noting that I play baseball in the Spring and I will be unable to do any Upper Body Presses during the season to minimize the risk of rotator cuff damage.

Starting Stats (8/19/08)
    16 Years Young
    170-180 Pounds
    About 10% Body Fat
    Max Bench: 195
    Max Squat: 275

Most Recent Routine

Over the summer, I went through a routine where I lifted upper body one day, lower body and abs the next, Monday through Saturday, and it went as follows:

Upper Body:
    Flat Bench//Seated Row
    Incline Bench//Upright Row
    Decline Bench//Pullovers
    Front Military Press//Front Pulldown
    Back Military Press//Back Pulldown
    Shoulder Raises//Crossovers
    Tricep Extensions//Preacher Curls
    Kickbacks//Forced Negative Curls

Lower Body/Abs:
    Squats//Leg Curls
    Leg Press//Leg Curls (different machine)
    Calf Raises
    Decline Crunches (holding a 25lb weight)
    Back Raises (35lb weight)

As you can see, my upper body workout was a hell of a lot more thorough than my lower body and abs. I used whey protein as a supplement and I did my best to consume around 200g of protein a day, but I did not gain any weight, in fact I lost a few pounds.

Current Questions and Ideas:
    - Let's just put it out there, what is a real good lower body workout? How about a good calf workout included in that, because mine refuse to grow or get more toned or stronger as far as I can tell.
    - Ditto for abs, I understand there are many layers to the abdominals, and each needs to be worked out at it's own angle for it to effectively get stronger as a whole.
    - What's a real good way to increase my speed? Really, my speed is the only thing holding me back, what exact muscles are crucial for increasing speed and how can I train them?

Diet Ideas
    - I can't post a link yet, but I read that 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds contain 19 grams of protein... guess who's gonna be snacking on them throughout the school day?
    - Trust me on this, I eat healthy enough. I generally eat a chicken salad about everyday at lunch and I rarely drink (soda) pop, I love my fruits and my veggies and I stay away from eating too many sweets. My main concern is protein.
    - Whey alone just hasn't worked out for me as well as I'd hoped, and a friend of mine suggested Muscle Milk because of the extra vitamins and minerals and good stuff in it, despite it's price. A few questions here, is muscle milk really all that good? Would a mix between muscle milk after workouts and whey before bed be a good mix?

That seems good enough for now, thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bump