The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

585 sumo deadlift attempt -- Tips?

I took three tries at this weight today and missed all three... This was my third and was actually the closest one. From watching the vids of all my lifts today (warmups included) I think my problem is that I let my shoulders roll forward and so the lockout becomes damn near impossible.

If anyone has any tips to fix this let me know!

Video
    Last edited by deeder; 08-18-2008 at 09:23 PM.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Get your head up through your traps from the start. <-----spoken from a guy not that great at sumo.
    Last edited by Ben Moore; 08-18-2008 at 09:30 PM.

I'm gonna suggest heavy rows to help improve lockout. I remember someone on here was vouching for them with good success.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Sumo rackpulls? lol
    Im curious to see what others say.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Get your head up through your traps from the start. <-----spoken from a guy not that great at sumo.
    Yeah I noticed that too. I think it's because I have a wall right in front of me that I'm not looking up as much. The other platforms are wooden and they're fine for pulling conventional but my feet slip when I pull sumo on them. But... if I face the other way on this platform, I am looking at myself in a mirror. I will try to get my head up next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    I'm gonna suggest heavy rows to help improve lockout. I remember someone on here was vouching for them with good success.
    I had a thread a while ago asking for tips on helping sumo lockout and I think someone wrote that in there. I've been hitting the bent over barbell rows pretty hard since then. I'll keep working on that too.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Sumo rackpulls? lol
    Im curious to see what others say.
    I tried those once and they felt really uncomfortable. Sumo pulls off blocks felt a bit more natural but what I've liked the most so far has been sumo pulls against bands. I might try some reverse band work too.

Anyone here have any experience with reverse band work?

Also, the way I set my bands up to pull against them they add about 95lbs at the top. Too little? Too much?
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

Banned
    I've used quad minis over the past few weeks, but it's too early to tell how it's working.

Keep the bar closer to your body.

Do some HEAVY pulls with bands. Use loads that make the lockout with the bands very hard. An ME day with bands. Guaranteed to work.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I agree with what others has said. Keeping my eyes up helps and lets me arch into the bar better. I don't pull sumo too often but some things that have helped are: Open your groin and shove the knees out hard. Pull back and keep your arch throughout.

Also, one thing that I have tried that the great Kutcher uses is flexing really hard off the floor. If you flex your entire body as hard as you can, the slack will come out of the bar and it will come off the ground just slightly. At this point you have not even done work or pulled the bar. I am nowhere near perfecting this technique, but it seemed to help me alot when I pull sumo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    I've used quad minis over the past few weeks, but it's too early to tell how it's working.
    Yikes! That must be a lot of tension!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Keep the bar closer to your body.

Do some HEAVY pulls with bands. Use loads that make the lockout with the bands very hard. An ME day with bands. Guaranteed to work.
    What kind of reps would you suggest for this? I did an ME deadlift day with the bands a few weeks ago and did triples. I had 405 on the bar and 95lbs of band tension. This was in loose suit bottoms. Even with that, the lockout was pretty hard. As you can see, I get a ton out of my suit off the floor and that carries over well enough up until 550+ when the lockouts really get nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoney View Post
    I agree with what others has said. Keeping my eyes up helps and lets me arch into the bar better. I don't pull sumo too often but some things that have helped are: Open your groin and shove the knees out hard. Pull back and keep your arch throughout.

Also, one thing that I have tried that the great Kutcher uses is flexing really hard off the floor. If you flex your entire body as hard as you can, the slack will come out of the bar and it will come off the ground just slightly. At this point you have not even done work or pulled the bar. I am nowhere near perfecting this technique, but it seemed to help me alot when I pull sumo.
    I try to do that too. When I am warming up with 135lbs I often lift the bar by accident as I am pulling myself in to position.
    Full Powerlifting

band work will help that lockout a lot, like the others have said. reverse, and setups like quaded minis, etc.

i am a believer in kroc rows for the lockout. i do them every week. i had a real problem with the lockout on deadlifts (as do most people), but doing kroc rows made it much less of problem.

oh, and i hardly do anything to train my lockout on deadlifts - i pull heavy every 2 or 3 months. just speed work.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com