Thread: squats and deadlift technique help vid +

Wannabebig Member

squats and deadlift technique help vid +

me again, sticking to starting strength routine. slowly adding strength, not so much mass. squat is up to 85kg dl is upto 100kg, bw still at 67kg.

heres the vid. i squat without shoes.

edit: youtubes being gay so heres the link.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5XxEsYQIpE

hows the technique, what can be fixed?

Video
    Last edited by function; 09-24-2008 at 09:20 AM.

Your form looks decent on both. If you can post a vid showing front view of squats, it would help. I thought that it looked like your left knee was moving differently than your right on squats, but without a front view, hard to be sure.
    On your deads, try to keep the bar nearly rubbing your shins - as close to as possible. Finish position at the top, the shoulders need to be back (chest up) and hips a bit further forward, but otherwise, it looks good.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

For your squats, make sure to take a big breath and push your chest out before you unrack the weight. Stay tight and take another big breath and hold it throughout your squat - keep pushing your chest out. Push your knees out hard to the sides. You might also want to slow the descent down a little bit. It looks like you're a little out of control. You shouldn't be going down much quicker than you go up. Other than that, your flexibility looks really good and you're getting good hip drive out of the hole.

Deadlifts look a little out of control too. First of all, get yourself some 45lb plates so you're not starting your pull so low. Second, you're straightening your legs without moving the weight very far - it's almost like an SLDL.

It's good to lift explosively, but you need to make sure you're under control. Keep at it, you're definitely going in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Deadlifts look a little out of control too. First of all, get yourself some 45lb plates so you're not starting your pull so low. Second, you're straightening your legs without moving the weight very far - it's almost like an SLDL.

this is exactly what i was going to say about your deadlift.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Wannabebig Member
    i dont have access to anything except 2 10kg plates, and alot of 5kg ones. which is the situation for the next two months. i gotta make do with a dip station as a squat rack and the low bar position for the dl.

thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    For your squats, make sure to take a big breath and push your chest out before you unrack the weight. Stay tight and take another big breath and hold it throughout your squat - keep pushing your chest out. Push your knees out hard to the sides. You might also want to slow the descent down a little bit. It looks like you're a little out of control. You shouldn't be going down much quicker than you go up. Other than that, your flexibility looks really good and you're getting good hip drive out of the hole.

It's good to lift explosively, but you need to make sure you're under control. Keep at it, you're definitely going in the right direction.
    great advice. STAY TIGHT!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    I agree with Jorge. I would also like to add that it looks like your lower back rounds as you start to get tired. Really focus on keeping that arch tight.
    You're doing a great job and I like the gym-engineering. You could always boost your plates up on a couple of phone books to get the extra height.

Squat:

-Everything Jorge said
    -Head UP!
    -Another re-emphasis on TIGHTNESS!
    -Looks like butt is rising first on some reps??
    -Slow down!
    Last edited by CleverName; 09-25-2008 at 05:35 PM.

My right leg sticks out farther than my left on squats as well. I think it's very slightly longer, and compensating. That's what came to mind when I saw you squatting. And sweet Jesus, slow down on the descent. You might as well say goodbye to your knees!

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

As you tire out on your squats you are raising your hips first and then your torso making it more like a good-morning.

Doing DL's with your hips starting that high is fine, just realize if you ever wanted to max out your lift you would be able to do so better with getting some leg drive into it.
    My Journal - Taking Back What is Mine
    5'11" 204 lbs
    Recovering from 2 fractured vertebrae and thyroid cancer