The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Need Some Help with Gaining Mass

I started lifting on Feb 1 after I recovered from hurting my back. I had had enough of being over weight and decided I was going to start moving in a better direction.

I'm 41 and I weighed 232 when I started. I'm now down to 194 and I'm ready to start adding some mass. I have been going to the gym and lifting weights while I have been working on removing the fat. My have lost 5" on my waist. Here is where I'm at:

Bench: Started at 135 and now can lift 255
    Squat: Started at 125 and now can lift 225
    Curls: Started at 45 and can now curl 95
    Triceps: Started at 24 with pull downs and can now do 72.

This just gives you an idea of my progress. It is not much but I have come along way forward. I want to start adding some mass so here is where the question lies.

My diet is very clean and I do 1.5 hours a day of cardio. Either running or using the elliptical bike. I supplement with 100% Protein Whey. What protein mix do you suggest I use to help me move forward? I have been in GNC and looked over the selection but there are SO many to choose from. I want to start adding some mass but I do not want to negate the gains I have made with weight loss. I plan to keep my diet very clean as I move forward. Any help would be appreciated. If the forum admins feel I posted this in the wrong section, feel free to move. Was not sure.

Thanks for the help!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

To bulk up, you must eat more than your body burns. You should be eating 5+ meals a day. If you already eat 5 meals a day, then you're better off adding an additional meal (or even 2, I eat 7 times a day), than making each one larger. This will help you minimize bodyfat gains. Having said that, with a bulking phase, you will put bodyfat back on. Ignore the scale and go by how you look in the mirror and your measurements. Then cut to get leaner.

Try cutting the cardio down to 1/2 hour, this will help.

Workout - look into Rippetoe's Starting Strength - buy the book from Amazon and memorize it. You'll basically do 3-5 different lifts, check other threads. The lifts are all heavy, compound movements. You could add a bit of arm and ab work to Rippetoe's, but no real need.

As for the protein - skip GNC, they're whey (pun intended) over-priced. Shop online at At Large Nutrition.com or bb.com. If you don't want to buy online for security reasons, then Vitamin Shoppe or anything but GNC, Max Muscle, etc.; they'll gouge you for money. What type to use? You'll get tons of different responses on that. I use a combo of unflavored whey and ON Pro Complex. Try not to substitute a protein shake for a meal, unless you really have to. Try having a small shake with a meal instead.

Hope this helps.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by mnuser View Post

My diet is very clean and I do 1.5 hours a day of cardio. Either running or using the elliptical bike. I supplement with 100% Protein Whey. What protein mix do you suggest I use to help me move forward? I have been in GNC and looked over the selection but there are SO many to choose from. I want to start adding some mass but I do not want to negate the gains I have made with weight loss. I plan to keep my diet very clean as I move forward. Any help would be appreciated. If the forum admins feel I posted this in the wrong section, feel free to move. Was not sure.

Thanks for the help!
    Whey powders are not the magical key to gaining mass. Food is. You can easily consume your protein requirements with food alone. Powders are convenient if you are stuck for time to prepare a meal but you shouldnt get tangled up in brands and blends or construct your nutrition plan around them.

1.5 hours of cardio a day is a lot if you want to build any kind of mass.
    This is useful - http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=90943
    Last edited by Bendthe Bar; 08-22-2008 at 03:58 PM.
    The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very
    act. Go. - H. Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    To bulk up, you must eat more than your body burns. You should be eating 5+ meals a day. If you already eat 5 meals a day, then you're better off adding an additional meal (or even 2, I eat 7 times a day), than making each one larger. This will help you minimize bodyfat gains. Having said that, with a bulking phase, you will put bodyfat back on. Ignore the scale and go by how you look in the mirror and your measurements. Then cut to get leaner.

Try cutting the cardio down to 1/2 hour, this will help.

Workout - look into Rippetoe's Starting Strength - buy the book from Amazon and memorize it. You'll basically do 3-5 different lifts, check other threads. The lifts are all heavy, compound movements. You could add a bit of arm and ab work to Rippetoe's, but no real need.

As for the protein - skip GNC, they're whey (pun intended) over-priced. Shop online at At Large Nutrition.com or bb.com. If you don't want to buy online for security reasons, then Vitamin Shoppe or anything but GNC, Max Muscle, etc.; they'll gouge you for money. What type to use? You'll get tons of different responses on that. I use a combo of unflavored whey and ON Pro Complex. Try not to substitute a protein shake for a meal, unless you really have to. Try having a small shake with a meal instead.

Hope this helps.
    I actually got a really good deal today, 13 pounds of Maxx whey for only $60 bucks. The lowest I found on the net for a 10 pound bag of whey online was $70.
    8:45 Heaven

Wannabebig Member
    Shouji,

Where online did you pick that up?

The 13 pound one was at GNC. It was on sale. The 10 pound one was at this site.
    http://www.vitaglo.com/100whey10lb.html
    8:45 Heaven

2 words : Chocolate Milk LOL

Wannabebig Member
    Hey thanks for the info. I did the HIIT at the school track and all I can say was I was BEAT! This is what I did:

30 sec full out with 60 sec of normal running. I did this 7 times.....I would like to get up to 30/60 : 10 times

I'm going to try this for the next month or so and see what my fat burning looks like.