The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

"Correcting" unusual body-shape

Hey, I hope you guys can give me some advice regarding how I should approach building muscle.

I inherited a pear-shaped body: relatively wide hips, feminine fat deposits, the whole lot. My great uncle, as well as a few other family members, all suffered from this curse. This makes working towards the ideal male "V" shape quite difficult.

Some stats:

Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 155 lbs

I've been lifting and bulking for nearly three months now. My progress has been appreciable. Given my shape, I have focused my efforts mainly on the upper body. While I know that exercises like squats will increase my capacity to grow, I'm afraid of my thighs growing even larger.

With the muscle I've gained has come some fat on my thighs. So my question is this:

What should I do to achieve the ideal male figure (or at least something close to it)? I know that you can't "get big without eating big." So what should I do to prevent simply becoming a larger, albeit more muscular pear?

Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You're pear-shaped because of the way your body stores fat. Lose weight.

Wannabebig New Member
    Typically when I lose weight I just turn into a smaller "pear". My upper body is skinny already so I don't want to further exaggerate this flaw.

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    I can't picture your body-type. I consider myself thin and I'm the same height as you and 190 lbs so I'm guessing you're really thin. Maybe just bite the bullet for a few more months, eat and lift like hell then do a serious cut?

I know what this guy is talking about.

Maybe it is because we are so skinny but my hip bones just go out so much farther than my rips and the rest of my body so it looks very odd.

Also what about the area above my pecs? This is really skinny and you can see around 270 degrees of my collar bone.

Wannabebig Member
    I have sorta the same problem.

Legs/hips disproportionately large relative to my upper body. I have wide shoulders..but my hips are just as wide and my legs looked gargantuan. Just gain weight in your upper body, and it'll slowly start going away. Doing SOLELY upper body stuff will take longer, so work in squats/DL's.
    Starting weight:177
    Weight:223
    Height:6'1"
    Starting bench:135x3
    Bench:225x9/270x2
    Starting squat:185x3
    Squat:405x1
    Starting deadlift:250x1
    Deadlift:405x1
    1 year and 6 months of hardwork, bitchezzz

Wannabebig Member
    Bulk to 190 or so while keeping relatively lean and you'll look fine. It'll take time, but building that kind of mass will mask your proportions.