The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Deadlift opener at my first powerlifting meet

Here's my opener deadlift at my first powerlifting meet. It's around 365 i believe, I was advised to go light for my first attempt at my first meet. For some reason, my wife didn't video my 3rd attempt, URG. ( I've just started doing deadlifts a few months ago, and being 6'8" I've got a long way to pull the weight. So don't be too critical, lol )
    Video
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 08-23-2008 at 07:12 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    You made it look easy!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Man, you are a freaking giant! Nice pull. Squatting must be hell for you. You need to gain about 200 lbs of bodyweight to fill out that huge frame.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    Man, you are a freaking giant! Nice pull. Squatting must be hell for you. You need to gain about 200 lbs of bodyweight to fill out that huge frame.
    thats what i was thinking!!! haha
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers View Post
    Man, you are a freaking giant! Nice pull.
    Thanks.

Squatting must be hell for you.
    LOL. Yeah, it's a long ways down for me to squat. I've been working the squats hard lately. I've had a knee injury a while back that took some of my flexibility away, but working squats hard has helped alot. I'm not ready to squat at a meet yet, but hopefully I will be soon.

You need to gain about 200 lbs of bodyweight to fill out that huge frame.
    Yeah. I weigh just under 270, but I was probably the skinniest guy at the meet, LOL.

How fun though, I loved every minute of it.

i'm glad you enjoyed it. and 270 is a rail at your height! you look skinny in that video.

you could be 350+ easy, and not even be fat.

i have knee problems as well, i am only 6'3, but i have the longer, looser joints.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    and 270 is a rail at your height! you look skinny in that video.

you could be 350+ easy, and not even be fat.
    Absolutely, I'm not arguing that ( and I'm working on getting to 350 ).

Hi ox that was a great pull your very strong but i have to suggest to you about your form. When you pulled that you didnt look like you pulled with your legs your back was really rounded over, im suggesting to try to keep your back almost straight up and down when you lift as this will help you to avoid any future injuries Basically From what i seen you got set up then your butt came up then your back that is gonna hurt your back later on.What id suggest is really get down there and get tight the movement should be one steady movement really get down low then as your pulling keep your lats as tight as you can and really try to pull your shoulder blades back what helps me is to look up at the ceiling, and when you get down and start to pull then you wanna keep your back as straight as possible on the way up.Just so you know im not knocking your lift as that was a very strong lift but the way you pulled it once you get into your max attempts that can hurt you real quick.again great job Ox and stay strong.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik 23 View Post
    When you pulled that you didnt look like you pulled with your legs your back was really rounded over,
    Yeah, my upper back rounds, but my lower back doesn't really. Here, watch this guy...

Video

im suggesting to try to keep your back almost straight up and down when you lift as this will help you to avoid any future injuries. Basically From what i seen you got set up then your butt came up then your back that is gonna hurt your back later on.What id suggest is really get down there and get tight the movement should be one steady movement really get down low then as your pulling keep your lats as tight as you can and really try to pull your shoulder blades back what helps me is to look up at the ceiling, and when you get down and start to pull then you wanna keep your back as straight as possible on the way up.
    I'm not trying to argue, my form did break on that lift. When I workout I wear shin guards and they wouldn't let me wear them at the meet, so the whole time I was thinking about not banging my shins, which caused me to raise my hips first to get my knees out of the way.

Just so you know im not knocking your lift as that was a very strong lift but the way you pulled it once you get into your max attempts that can hurt you real quick.again great job Ox and stay strong.
    Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 08-24-2008 at 05:03 AM.

try some chalk! its a life saver. try tall socks as well.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    what did you bench and what was your total. I am only 6'5" and I feel like a gaint at meets, it will be funny as hell when you squat and they have to adjust the height for. I may be a little ****ed up in the head but that kind of **** cracks me up.

Banned
    Nice job man.Looked good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG AL View Post
    what did you bench and what was your total.
    I benched 135 kilos raw. My long arms makes bench hard ( but it's slowly getting better ). It was funny, the announcer said that the weight should count twice as much for me since I have to push it twice as far. LOL, wouldn't that be nice.

My third deadlift was for 185 kilos. It was still really easy. Looking back I should have tried at least 200 kilos. I'm still so new to doing deads I wasn't sure how much to go up. The 185 kilos is more than I've tried in any of my workouts.

So my total was 320 kilos = 705.5 pounds.

I am only 6'5" and I feel like a gaint at meets, it will be funny as hell when you squat and they have to adjust the height for. I may be a little ****ed up in the head but that kind of **** cracks me up.
    LOL that's funny. There were actually several other tall guys at the meet ( not 6'8" but probably 6'5"-ish ).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    try some chalk! its a life saver. try tall socks as well.
    I have tall socks, but I sometimes still bang my shins enough to make them bleed through the socks. This is happening less and less though.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 08-24-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Big OX try pulling off a platform, about 3 inches, it will force you to use more leg drive and get your hips under you so your legs won't lockout way before your back does. I'm a tall dude myself 6-6. Keep working hard OX!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny-SFW View Post
    Big OX try pulling off a platform, about 3 inches, it will force you to use more leg drive and get your hips under you so your legs won't lockout way before your back does. I'm a tall dude myself 6-6. Keep working hard OX!!!
    OK, I'll give that a try. Thanks for the advice.