Thread: AC joint

Banned

AC joint

Well after a bench session yesterday I started to feel a familiar pain.Its the 3rd time in 5 years Ive injured my AC joint(shoulder).Always on my right side.It usually happens from bench or dips.In the past Ive gone to the doc an opted for an injection(faster) then to take anti-inflammatories for 3 weeks.Problem is,afterwards Im always weaker on that side.I iced it down last night and started Ibuprofen(800mg's).Does anyone know how to rehab this faster?Im going out of town to visit family in NJ at the end of the week,so Im gonna take it easy til I get back.

I would stop doing dips altogether or only do partials. If your form is bad on the bench that could be causing the AC problem too..

The old Nautilus pec deck that was slightly reclined used to bother mine real bad. 3 sets light and the next day I could'nt touch that joint because it would be so sore.

I suggest seeing a good chiroprator, ice, and laying off any fly movements for a little while.

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    A friend of mine has a similar problem so he does DB presses on the bench to mimic dips. He says he can use lower weight and control the movement better without having his 230 lbs ass hanging on his bad shoulder.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike View Post
    Well after a bench session yesterday I started to feel a familiar pain.Its the 3rd time in 5 years Ive injured my AC joint(shoulder).
    That sucks man, sorry to hear that. I've been there a few times, I've injured mine benching, another time by doing overhead presses (behind the head, stupid for me with long arms and shoulder problems in the past. I do them down in front now), and another time skiing.

Does anyone know how to rehab this faster?Im going out of town to visit family in NJ at the end of the week,so Im gonna take it easy til I get back.
    OK, don't judge this too quick... but I found acupressure to help me a lot. Once I found the spot, its amazing, honestly. Last time my shoulder was bothering me, it went from not being able to raise it above eye level without pain to benching my max in about 2 days. Seriously.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 08-26-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Banned
    I'll give it a shot.

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Well after a bench session yesterday I started to feel a familiar pain.Its the 3rd time in 5 years Ive injured my AC joint(shoulder).Always on my right side.It usually happens from bench or dips.In the past Ive gone to the doc an opted for an injection(faster) then to take anti-inflammatories for 3 weeks.Problem is,afterwards Im always weaker on that side.I iced it down last night and started Ibuprofen(800mg's).Does anyone know how to rehab this faster?Im going out of town to visit family in NJ at the end of the week,so Im gonna take it easy til I get back.
    Shoulder rehab exercises/treatment:
    1. video of George Halbert doing a great shoulder exercises
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q52t3xlmjEs

2. Internal & external rotation exercises

3. Shoulder stretching exercises

4. Supine press

5. Anti-inflammatory rubbing ointment

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    GOT MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

Wannabebig Member
    I had the smae problem a few months ago. I ill tell you what fixed mine. I did shoulder prehab/rebab exercises like lion ox, shoulder rotations and all kinds of rotator stuff with really light weight as both a warmup and cool down. Then I started taking Chrondoitin and fish oil. Then avoided all things that aggravated it and it feels so good after only 2 months of that. The injections actually inhibit natural healing and after several can even damage the joint. Best of luck.